Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
11/29/2012 Google Down in Texas... Others?

Um...

So Google went down tonight. At least it did in my area, and others are reporting it on Twitter. I would give you information but my go to search engine isn't working at the moment. The best I could come up with to explain this phenomena are the following links:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/27/goo...acker-mca-crb/
http://techpresident.com/news/23187/...matory-content

Thus was my biggest technology crutch exposed. Revolution anyone?

Any info from others would be appreciated. Please share.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it's up now...

http://mashable.com/2012/09/25/googl...down-for-some/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2052420.html

This appears to be something that has been happening frequently, first during Sandy and then since. I'm not sure really what to think or how to feel about it. Is it a result of Sandy or of Google's censoring of defamatory content? If it is a DDoS attack then there should be no concern of an information leak... But how forthright would Google be if it's the result of something more?

Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I most often use DuckDuckGo, myself. You may want to add it to your search engine list. It could improve your situation if Google goes down again.

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

-- George Orwell's "1984"

Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Thanks for referring that to me Ambrosia. I've never in my life heard of duck duck go.

I think my biggest problem during the outage was that I need to use my email. lol.
Gale Haut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Haut View Post
I think it's up now...

http://mashable.com/2012/09/25/googl...down-for-some/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2052420.html

This appears to be something that has been happening frequently, first during Sandy and then since. I'm not sure really what to think or how to feel about it. Is it a result of Sandy or of Google's censoring of defamatory content? If it is a DDoS attack then there should be no concern of an information leak... But how forthright would Google be if it's the result of something more?

Thoughts?
Many sites have data centres in New Jersey. I know the site that I moderate on has its data centres there and was at risk, despite its site owners and administrators living in Victoria and Vancouver.
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellecshual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Obviously it's an AI flexing it's muscles...

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

It's still June 27th, 1914

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
Obviously it's an AI flexing it's muscles...
Give you a dime if you'll lose the second apostrophe.

Maryn, who carries a roll of dimes at all times for this purpose
Maryn is offline   Reply With Quote