Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
The_Ink_Goddess
the not happened yet

The_Ink_Goddess has earned our admirationThe_Ink_Goddess has earned our admirationThe_Ink_Goddess has earned our admirationThe_Ink_Goddess has earned our admiration
Two POVS

So: one male POV character, one female POV character. A tough sell? Tough to write? Should it be avoided?

I didn't want to be your ghost
I didn't want to be anybody's ghost
But I don't want anybody else.

Crushing - contemporary YA, 72k, next circle of hell
The_Ink_Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not a big difference than two male POVs or two female POVs, really. And probably more common in YA.

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
LittleKiwi
practical experience, FTW

LittleKiwi is on a distinguished road
I don't think there's any reason this wouldn't work as long as readers can easily differentiate between the POVs.
LittleKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
Wouldn't bother me. As long as they're written well I don't care which gender POVs are used.

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
fredXgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
Fantasmac
chronically underwhelmed

Fantasmac is on a distinguished road
Simone Elkeles does this a lot, I think. Definitely not out of the question.
Fantasmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Maramoser
much writing. very books

Maramoser has a spectacular aura
Legend by Marie Lu did it quite successfully. I think it's fun, particularly if there's a romance between them and you get both perspectives. :p
Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The first thing that came to mind was Simone Elkeles too. Check out Perfect Chemistry. She does a great job with that one. Also, The Shiver series by Maggie Stiefvater has a m/f POV and in the third book in the series she has 2 male povs and 2 females. It's really pretty awesome. Also, Melvin Burgess' SMACK does a wonderful f/m pov

WIP: YA Psychological Thriller--ForNever--Being queried! Please pass the vomit bucket.

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
mellymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
nightowling
Maybe it was Utah.

nightowling is on a distinguished road
Cath Crowley's fantastic GRAFFITI MOON has a m/f POV.
nightowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

justbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to behold
If I can do it, anyone should be able to, lol.
WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

justbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Feathers
emerging from the writing cave

Feathers is a shiny, shiny jewelFeathers is a shiny, shiny jewel
Oh yeah, that's pretty common from what I've read. I think the only foible here is that if you have both a male and female POV, there often ends up being a romance between them. You might end up working against expectations if you didn't have a romance. Just something to consider.

Shutterbug Meets (Invisible) Girl

The First Reader
an aspiring YA author's blog
with posts on the writing process
author interviews
and other writerly stuff
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputation
As long as both are written in third person, I don't see a problem with it. If you do both in first person, you have to do a very good job of making them distinct so that you don't confuse the reader.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 171K Revising
The Battle Stone (Upper MG Fantasy): 70K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 52,000/120,000
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's been done. Jenny Valentine did this in The Ant Colony. Patrick Ness also did in the second and third volumes of his Chaos Walking trilogy. Both of these are in first person. <i>Chaos Walking</i> has one narrator for the first volume, two for the second and three in the third (the third narrator being an alien character). It's fairly easy to tell them apart, even without the fact that the publisher in my copies set each narrator's text in a different font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
I think the only foible here is that if you have both a male and female POV, there often ends up being a romance between them. You might end up working against expectations if you didn't have a romance. Just something to consider.
I don't think that necessarily follows. In The Ant Colony he's later teens and she's ten, so if a reader expects a romance there then she's in for a disappointment to say the least!

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words. Submitted to Strange Chemistry.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 20,927 words and counting

Short fiction:

"Mourning Becomes Me" - version 2.0, 19,605 words and counting

"Cold" - 3753 words, final draft. Submitted!

Last edited by eyeblink; 11-29-2012 at 10:48 AM.
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Laura Was Here
let's get married

Laura Was Here is on a distinguished road
It's fine. Beth Revis did/is doing it in her Across the Universe triology (just to add to the list.)

Represented by Sarah Davies at the Greenhouse Literary Agency.

www.lauratims.com

Laura Was Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Corinne Duyvis
She of the Comfortable Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a shiny, shiny jewelCorinne Duyvis is a shiny, shiny jewel
Totally doable and sellable. My debut does this, though in third person. I think the only issues you'll run into are the ones you'd run into with any combination of multiple PoVs.

That said, a friend of mine went on sub with a dual PoV M/F book and got an R&R to take out the male perspective to make it more the female character's story. (And yes, thankfully, the publisher did end up buying it!) I've also seen agents mention getting a lot of these subs, so make sure that it's really necessary to the story.
* Disability in Kidlit

For ten years, he's witnessed a far-off world through the eyes of a far-off girl. Now, she finds out.
OTHERBOUND, a YA fantasy coming June 17, 2014, from Amulet Books.

Last edited by Corinne Duyvis; 11-30-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA leaves trails of profuse coolnessLadyA leaves trails of profuse coolnessLadyA leaves trails of profuse coolnessLadyA leaves trails of profuse coolnessLadyA leaves trails of profuse coolness
Sarra Manning did 1st person m/f dual POV in ADORKABLE, and did it really well.

I know I had a lot more fun writing my m/f dual POV novel than my single POV - you get a bit sick of it when it's the same perspective the whole time (although that might just be my crap character building skills lol)

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp, with betas...

C0LLISI0N C0URSE - YA Contemp (planning)

twitter tumblr
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
bertrigby
Dysfunctional dystopian

bertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewelbertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewel
Noughts and Crosses does this brilliantly and never loses its tension.

My website is here and my twitter is here.

bertrigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #17
lauralam
Moonshade

lauralam is a shiny, shiny jewellauralam is a shiny, shiny jewel
I do in my book. Well, sort of. *evasive*

Second the Shiver series. I think she does it in Scorpio Races as well. And the Philip Pullman books do this as well, when they start flipping between Will & Lyra's stories, right? In third person, though.

When it's done well I love it. So cute to get both sides of a burgeoning romance, for instance.

YA GLBT gaslight fantasy:
Pantomime - February 5/7 2013 - Strange Chemistry Books
Shadowplay - January 2/4 2014 - Strange Chemistry Books

Represented by Juliet Mushens of The Agency Group.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads
lauralam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #18
eparadysz

eparadysz has a spectacular auraeparadysz has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralam View Post
Cryptic much? I can't wait to read this.

I have male/female POVs in my WIP, too. I really enjoyed writing them.

The Ghost and the Goth series is another example.

It's always darkest before the bottom drops out.

eparadysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #19
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA leaves trails of profuse coolnessLadyA leaves trails of profuse coolnessLadyA leaves trails of profuse coolnessLadyA leaves trails of profuse coolnessLadyA leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralam View Post

Second the Shiver series. I think she does it in Scorpio Races as well. And the Philip Pullman books do this as well, when they start flipping between Will & Lyra's stories, right? In third person, though.

When it's done well I love it. So cute to get both sides of a burgeoning romance, for instance.
Oh yeah, Shiver! Love those books. Me and my flatmate have just got the box set of TEEN WOLF season 1, and I keep thinking, Maggie Stiefvater's wolves are better!
/derail

I find it really interesting how dual POV lets you explore self-perception vs how others see you - like the hot jock who gets all the girls and sleeps around because they're all throwing themselves at him, is actually sleeping around because he's confused about his sexuality, or has low self esteem or whatever.

My dual-POV novel has a POV character who is totally breaking down, a total mess, hallucinating, etc - so much inner turmoil, but because he's good at hiding it at the beginning, the other POV character doesn't see what's really going on with him. Later on, as he gets worse at hiding how fragile his mental state is, and gets worse, only then does other POV see what the readers have been seeing from the start.

But tbh, the book is probably as much of a mess as the character!!

ETA: what is a real risk but sometimes really works in books is parent/child POVs. It shouldn't, but dad Ken's POV in PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ and dad Cal's POV in ORDINARY PEOPLE definitely add to the novels. It doesn't work most of the time though, IMO.

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp, with betas...

C0LLISI0N C0URSE - YA Contemp (planning)

twitter tumblr
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
teacherwelden
figuring it all out

teacherwelden is on a distinguished road
My current manuscript does exactly this. It seems to be working for me so far...fingers crossed. I quite like the way it allows for exploration of how a male character perceives events as opposed to a female.

As a teacher I studied Cath Crowley's "The Life and Times if Gracie Faltrain." with my year 9 class. The students really enjoyed it... there was something for the boys to relate to and something for the girls. Actually the girls don't seem to care whose POV it is....boys on the other hand in general are fussy little rascals. I have taught lots of boys who refuse to go near "Twilight" for this very reason.

I say go for it.....automatically double your audience...I'm willing to try it.
teacherwelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Manon
figuring it all out

Manon is on a distinguished road
I say go for it! Sounds perfectly fine to me.

Last book I read where there were two genders POVs was in Legend by Marie Lu, but they were both in 1st person, that got kind of confusing though.

Website/Blog - Twitter - Facebook

WIP: Spirit - YA Sci-fi Dystopia
Currently studying Global Criminology MA
Manon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
CJ Knightrey
Constantly Changes Her Avatar

CJ Knightrey is well-respected
I'm doing this in my current WIP too. I don't like that people will assume that they are going to get together just because they're the main characters. It's not going to happen, they have more of a sibling relationship. Oh well. :P

WIP:
The Hosts of Tara
CJ Knightrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #23
teacherwelden
figuring it all out

teacherwelden is on a distinguished road
I thought about this some more last night after I logged off. When I taught Cath Crowley's "Gracie Faltrain" I did notice that some students struggled a bit with the switching narration in the beginning. This was mostly the less enthusiastic readers (the ones who may not have read the book on their own anyway). It did not take long for them to adjust to it though....and I recall that a lot of them found this device kept the story "fresh".

I guess avid readers tend to be quite adaptable but unenthusiastic readers can be "put off" fairly easily....then again they always seem to give me bucketloads of reasons for not reading period!

Last edited by teacherwelden; 12-03-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: grammar syntax
teacherwelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #24
becausebooks
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

becausebooks is on a distinguished road
I'm planning on writing the split POV for my next book in a series I'm working on. I think as long as the two characters have a distinct voice - regardless of gender or point of view (1st, 3rd, etc.) - it should work out well. It's interesting and it allows you to follow the stories of multiple characters whose stories are intertwined but may be living their lives separately. I don't know if this has been mentioned but Ally Condie's Reached handles the multiple POV task well. There are three characters that the book bounces between, and the voices are so distinctive I can instantly tell who is talking, even before I read the chapter heading of the character's name.
becausebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #25
amamoth
this space left intentionally blank

amamoth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Knightrey View Post
I'm doing this in my current WIP too. I don't like that people will assume that they are going to get together just because they're the main characters. It's not going to happen, they have more of a sibling relationship. Oh well. :P
I'm actually a big sucker for meaningful but strictly platonic relationships between male/female characters (I don't come across it often enough these days, sadly) so that intrigues me. But unless they're blood-related, readers are going to hold out hope that they'll get together anyway--but that's half the fun of being the author, isn't it? They're *your* characters. Readers are just going to have to suck it up
amamoth is offline   Reply With Quote