Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
srgalactica
practical experience, FTW

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
How might you describe this?

My MMC in my fantasy novel has white hair. This is uncommon, but not unheard of for people of his species. He's in his mid twenties.

I'm trying to make sure that when describing him from another characters POV, the reader won't be thinking of old persons white hair. I tried to think of things to compare it to, but that's very cliche (white as snow, white as cotton) any ideas?

And if this is in the wrong forum section, I apologize. Thanks in advance!
srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
RobertEvert

RobertEvert has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgalactica View Post
My MMC in my fantasy novel has white hair. This is uncommon, but not unheard of for people of his species. He's in his mid twenties.

I'm trying to make sure that when describing him from another characters POV, the reader won't be thinking of old persons white hair. I tried to think of things to compare it to, but that's very cliche (white as snow, white as cotton) any ideas?

And if this is in the wrong forum section, I apologize. Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure I can be of any help. White as snow was the first thing that came to my mind. And you're right, it's a cliche.

What else is white? Milk? As white as the unwritten page?

I suppose I would approach it from a slightly different angle. How about talking about how his hair is so white that it reflects light? Eh.... let me think about this.

AUTHOR OF "RIDDLE IN STONE" NOW AVAILABLE!!!

The first chapter is available here

My Blog:Neurotic Novelists of the World Unite!

Facebook New friends always welcome!
RobertEvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Dig deep.

Lots of things are white besides snow and cotton.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just bring up that he's young and has white hair. I don't think a reader would tag his as old by just the description of white hair.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"His hair was white as Greenwich at Christmas time..."
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
melindamusil

melindamusil has a spectacular auramelindamusil has a spectacular aura
Milky white
Pearly white
White like opals
White like fresh daisies
Baby powder-white
White/clear/bright as crystals
White as the moon/lunar white
Bleached white
White like the clouds in the sky
White like a young lamb
Glowing white
melindamusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
sargeorge
Learning to tie my shoelaces

sargeorge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen View Post
I suppose I would approach it from a slightly different angle. How about talking about how his hair is so white that it reflects light?
True. In general white hair on a young person would be more heathly looking than old peoples hair,which can be dull and brittle ( there are exceptions as i've seen ladies in their 70s with beautiful hair.) You could have someone touch it and describe how soft and luxurious it is.

Untitiled epic fantasy.
(Hope I think of title before finishing)

97,000 of 100,000
sargeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
srgalactica

Thanks!

You guys have been very helpful! I really appreciate it. This has given me lots to think about.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
You could simply have your character think that his white hair made a startling contrast with his young face.
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
I have a young man with white hair in my current project, too.

As long as you mention his age, that should be enough to fill in the mental image for readers. I don't think you really need to explain that his hair is not brittle, thin, or whatever connotation you're getting from "old person."

Also, keep in mind that the cause of the white hair will affect the type of whiteness it has. An albino person's hair, e.g. Stephen Thompson, looks different from a person whose hair has gone white prematurely, e.g. Anderson Cooper.

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #11
srgalactica

Hi Leahzero. Good point about the cause of the white hair. In this case, it's just a natural hair color for people of his species. It's about as rare as red hair is for humans, though.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
RichardGarfinkle
Shipping Tropos
AW Moderator

RichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Platinum blond.

Overdue Considerations -- my blog

Now on Smashwords
RichardGarfinkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Old people can have hair as white as anything you might want to name. I would suggest just setting up that white is a normal lifelong hair color for his type.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Hi Leahzero. Good point about the cause of the white hair. In this case, it's just a natural hair color for people of his species. It's about as rare as red hair is for humans, though.
Describe it like you would describe a red-head here, then. Except with white, of course

A bad, fast example: The assistant was a tall silver-head with blue eyes, and he paced around the lobby as if waiting for a train.

eta: it may take another sentence later to fill in exactly what a silver-head is, btw. Or a different sort of sentence altogether. I'm just saying treat it as if it's like being a red-head.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #15
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you have to strain to find an appropriate comparison, analogy, simile or metaphor for anything, chances are it will show. Or, phrased another way, if you have to strain to find it, you probably don't need it.

caw
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
Though he was young, his hair was white. He was born that way.

Well, that's not the most eloquent, but I think this might be a situation where a little bit of telling would be okay.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 105K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
Sunflowerrei

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
This reminds me of a novel I read where the lead female character, after a lot of stress, develops a very distinctive white stripe in her otherwise dark hair. I think in that instance, the stripe was compared to a scar.

But in your case--something as simple as "His hair was soft, wavy, and white, a not unusual color among the ____ (species)." I'm in my mid-twenties and I have some white roots coming up and a few straight-up white strands. I always notice them more in bathrooms. I guess bathroom lights and mirrors cause them to reflect.

Percolating Idea: Victorian, Gilded Age.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Paper-white hair . . .

One vote for paper-white.
“What’s no fair?”
“I don’t want no stupid kid in this house.”
I remember she looks at me kind of like she’s sad and happy at the same time. She goes, “Besides you, you mean?”
I don’t say nothing to that one.
My little blog: /excerpt-from-cherry/

Last edited by kkbe; 11-28-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: public voted, nix on the ron paul ref.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
srgalactica!

My question-how important is his white hair? Sometimes physical descriptions are not all that important.

That said, I bet if he's young and has "white" hair, then Richard is right on with platinum blond.

Love the shades of white Melinda provided as well.

Just make sure that description is essential to your story.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
srgalactica

Thanks again guys! So many great ideas.

Susan, in answer to your question, his hair color isn't important to the story, however, he does eventually become the FMC's love interest, so I figure his appearance would require a bit of description from her POV. I tend to like to pick one or two physical features that get a very brief description in my books. Since his hair is rather uncommon and it's something my FMC would definitely notice, I thought it deserved a mention in the scene where the FMC first meets the MMC.

I think I will end up going with a simple description and not strain for the metaphor as was suggested.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
gell214

gell214 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
he does eventually become the FMC's love interest, so I figure his appearance would require a bit of description from her POV.
I don't know if this is what you planned to do, but maybe you can use your FMC's POV to describe the white hair? Since the color is only made worth mentioning because of her, then maybe it is her part to notice the white hair. This way, the readers would imagine the white hair in her eyes. Something like: she never would have thought this guy worth a second glance, except that his hair was, despite his youth, white. It gave him the look of having wisdom beyond his years, she thought. Just an example . Hope this makes sense .

Le blog (under construction).

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.
gell214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
TheWordsmith

TheWordsmith is well-respected
Most commonly, young people with white hair are referred to as having platinum hair. But, as others have already noted, you could simply establish that your character is young and then refer to his hair as being "white/pale/fair". You might even reference the fact that his hair was as white as the day he was born or something of that nature.
TheWordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #23
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Smile

Quote:
Thanks again guys! So many great ideas.

Susan, in answer to your question, his hair color isn't important to the story, however, he does eventually become the FMC's love interest, so I figure his appearance would require a bit of description from her POV. I tend to like to pick one or two physical features that get a very brief description in my books. Since his hair is rather uncommon and it's something my FMC would definitely notice, I thought it deserved a mention in the scene where the FMC first meets the MMC.

I think I will end up going with a simple description and not strain for the metaphor as was suggested.
It sounds like the hair color is not important at all. I'd leave it out then, as we tend to come up with our own mental images anyway.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #24
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When pure white hair is mentioned in a young person, I immediately thing of an albino, in which case there will be a suite of distinct physical characteristics lacking pigmentation. In your world I presume you are wanting this person to have a lack of hair pigmentation without the other characteristics of albinism.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #25
srgalactica

Susan, it's important in that it is very distinct. I think it's worth noting

Neuro, you're correct. Albinism isn't what it is. I'm thinking white like Drizzt.