Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
The Illusionist
practical experience, FTW

The Illusionist is on a distinguished road
Author's impact on followes when voicing controversial opinions

[FONT=Times New Roman]Hello everyone!

I am currently in my final year of my Journalism, Media, and Cultural Studies degree at Cardiff University. One of my modules has given me the opportunity to integrate my passion for publishing into my academic work. I am carrying out a research project to analyze what impact authors have on their followers when voicing views on issues that divide society on social media platforms. This often means comments on politics and current events, so I was hoping that some of you on this thread would be willing to help me out!

A big part of my project consists of a survey, which I would greatly appreciate you taking the time to complete. It is very easy and short; it shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete. All data gathered will of course also be completely confidential, will not be used for any other purpose than my academic research, and will not be passed on to any other parties.

When referring to ‘authors’ in the survey, I mean fiction authors who have already published one or more books. ‘Issues that divide society’ is meant to encompass any and all issues that generate strong opinions, ranging from abortion and gay rights to other political and social issues.

I hope you have some sympathy for this college writer and are willing to donate a little of your time. I’m interested to learn what you think about authors talking about these issues!

The survey is here: [Link Removed by AW Overlord]

My original blog post where I introduced the survey is [Link Removed by AW Overlord]here[/URL].

Thank you all so much in advance for your help!

Portable Magic - A blog about the wonderful world of words.

Twitter - Mostly all about anything book/publishing/writing/editing related.

Last edited by MacAllister; 11-27-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Nope.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow.

It took all of 15 seconds for me.

The very first question asked me "Do you follow an author on social media such as YouTube, FaceBook or Twitter?"

And I answered "No" because I actually only follow such authors on their own web sites. (And there are usually message forums such as this one which come attatched to their blogs. And so it is those message forums where I interact socially, not those other three --admittedly more prevalent and more universal-- networks.)

But when I answered "No," the survey kicked me out and said "Thank you." And it was all over and done with.

Oh well.

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Romantic Heretic
uncoerced

Romantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputation
A controversial opinion nearly cost my career as a writer. Somebody I was working with took umbrage at something I posted once, and threatened to make sure my reputation personal and professional would be ruined if I continued to do so in the future. They had the power to do such a thing too.

I would have stopped writing if self publishing didn't exist. Now all I have to do is write. I don't need to worry if I'm politically correct.

Dominant Desires: Ropes and Roses Smashwords Amazon Barnes & Noble Sony Kobo

Stewardess - an erotic free read Smashwords Barnes & Noble Kobo

My website - Romantic Heretic
Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So you are on a writer's site seeking people who follow authors. I guess that's not completely illogical but I was expecting it to be about the other end of things.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The only authors I actively "follow" are non-fiction ones, like Jon Krakauer and Robert Kaplan, and journalists like Krauthammer. Their opinions definitely influence me; it's why I follow them, to hear their opinions.

Authors of fiction whose works I read? Mostly, I don't care about their political views and the like, since I don't think most of them are particularly knowledgeable on the issues. Stephen King is a good example. I like his books, by and large. His op-eds are--imo--largely silly.

So if "authors" is limited to only those who write fiction, guess I can't do the survey.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
I follow comic book authors and authors from AW.

Usually I only stop following someone if they're boring or only shamelessly self-promote. If they feel strongly and if their social media is their own not that of the brand, franchise, characters, or book.

Authors are people with thoughts and opinions about the world they live in. But if SMyers (for a hypothetical example) said, "Edward and Bella would vote for Romney because he's the candidate that believes in family values."

Then that would be weird and a bit manipulative.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
vsrenard
Troubles a star

vsrenard is a shiny, shiny jewelvsrenard is a shiny, shiny jewel
I follow other authors in the historical fiction community, many of whom I know and others who post interesting facts about the period they are writing about.

Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
MOD Note:

I'm feeling a move coming on. Maybe not, though.

ETA: Admin beat me to it.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."

Last edited by Williebee; 11-27-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
AW Admin
Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety
AW Paladin

AW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post
I am carrying out a research project to analyze what impact authors have on their followers when voicing views on issues that divide society on social media platforms. This often means comments on politics and current events, so I was hoping that some of you on this thread would be willing to help me out!
1. You didn't check with the site owner before doing this.

2. You're not following standard practices for research with human subjects, including privacy protection

3. Your survey utilizes cookies in unacceptable way.

You are so not doing this here.

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.
Closed Thread