Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
laroche
practical experience, FTW

laroche is on a distinguished road
Best blog site for stories?

Hey y'all,

I'm trying to get back into writing, and I realize that a blog would be a good way to share some stories. But I'm also realizing that blogger ain't the best (I have a draft of a novel; posting by chapters is proving difficult; blogger wants to keep everything reverse chronological, blah blah blah).

Is there any consensus out there that "_____" is the best site/format to post stories/novels, etc?

Suggestions?

Thanks!
laroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wordpress does the same.

You could always code them into hyperlinks with the new chapters.

New post:

"Story title, Chapter 4.

Previous chapters:
Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.

Billy tripped and his face fell off."

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm pretty sure that it's possible to make your posts on Blogger appear in any order you like; and it's probably wise to produce some sort of index thread which would sort all that out for you anyway.

I'm going to move this to our blogging room, as it's probably a better fit there than it is here, in e-publishing.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
AW Admin
Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety
AW Paladin

AW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by laroche View Post
Hey y'all,

I'm trying to get back into writing, and I realize that a blog would be a good way to share some stories. But I'm also realizing that blogger ain't the best (I have a draft of a novel; posting by chapters is proving difficult; blogger wants to keep everything reverse chronological, blah blah blah).
1. Create the posts.

2. use the Publish feature that lets you assign a date and time for each post to be published.

Create a Page in blogger with an index/link to each post in reading order.

Make sure that each post has a link to the index page at the end of each post.

See: http://thecityofroses.com

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.
AW Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
People who follow blog novels will expect it to work like a blog. In other words, they'll expect the newest post at the top of the page to be a later chapter. They won't expect to see chapter one in that spot. What you're seeing as a negative is how blogs work.

If you're not intending to spread out posting the chapters, you'd be better off putting the complete file somewhere and letting people download. If you're going to use a blog for it, embrace the bloginess.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you don't want it to be a blog, why not just make it a website?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
laroche

laroche is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your feedback! I'll tinker around with blogger some more and see if I can get it to do what I want it to do. I look forward to reading more in this "blog" section too!
laroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
meowzbark

meowzbark is a shiny, shiny jewelmeowzbark is a shiny, shiny jewel
I used to use Livejournal for posting stories. I like the community on there.

Locked out of Heaven - YA Paranormal, on 3rd draft revising.

|Book Review Blog |Twitter|
meowzbark is offline   Reply With Quote