Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
merlot143
practical experience, FTW

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
Canuck writer says "Hello, eh?"

I'm new to the Water Cooler. I just finished my manuscript and now have to sell, sell, sell Unfortunately I don't know the American agents at all. That's why I'm trolling the boards. Canadian publishing is pint-sized in comparison.
Any tips, shortcuts? Writer's Digest seems to come out with a list of "top 20 lit agencies" or "top 25 lit agents" but I'm not sure how much stock I should put into them.
Much thanks.
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Tepelus
Is a chilly.

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello, and welcome! You may want to give the bewares and background checks forum a look through to get you started.

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
jennontheisland
the world is at my command

jennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Go to Chapters, find books you like and books like yours (same genre and market) and find out who represents those authors.

Hi.

Eat This.
jennontheisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome merlot13! Definitely take some time to learn AW. There's tons of information you need to know. Besides finding agents and publishers for your novel, don't forget about queries and submitting the them and your manuscript. See you 'round the boards.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
merlot143

Thanks all!
Here's my first ignorant question: there's a category about rejections. I know I saw it but I can't find it again.
I just started submitting, so I want to know what I'm in for.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
alleycat
Just hanging out.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome.

And to answer your question, Rejections and Dejections: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...splay.php?f=28

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Griffin Hayes
One evil little baby step at a time

Griffin Hayes is well-respected
Welcome to AW!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
L. Y.
\m/

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello. to the Water Cooler!

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Welcome.

WIP:
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Querying
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 163K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
MsLaylaCakes
Playing the waiting game

MsLaylaCakes is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

I would second jenn's advice - your local bookstore (or your online bookstore) of choice might be the best place to start. I remember I started clicking on books in my genre on amazon, scrolling down to look at the publisher, cross-referencing with the Bewares section of the forum, then going to the publisher's website and looked up submission guidelines. (note: I write in an ePublisher-heavy genre, so I was targeting small but established ePublishers that take unagented submissions.)

Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | Pinterest | GoodReads
MsLaylaCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Nickie
Not too old to learn

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to the Cooler!
Nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
regdog
Kreon Starscream
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

We have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

You can also check Agent Query and Publishers Marketplace for agents who represent your genre and then check their reputation here at Bewares and and Backgrounds

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
VirtuousKnight
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

VirtuousKnight is on a distinguished road
Welcome to AW!
VirtuousKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
sandolita
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

sandolita is on a distinguished road
From one newbie to another - WELCOME
sandolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
hannahward07

hannahward07 is on a distinguished road
to the Cooler!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudge
thehairymob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
phineas12gauge

phineas12gauge is on a distinguished road
Welcome to AW!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #18
drzimo

drzimo is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Forum!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #19
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome to the Cooler.
Ari Meermans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #20
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Merlot143!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about this software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.

Check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area
and explained here. This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
Clearly, you've never had a mouth full of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #21
ZoeYork

ZoeYork is on a distinguished road
Hi!

1st Novel (The Year of Kate): On hold at 18,000/65,000 words while I work on ...
Untitled Christmas Novella: 12,000/25,000 words
ZoeYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
mugwort

mugwort is on a distinguished road
Welcome

First welcome to Absolute Write's Forum. I hope t
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
mugwort

mugwort is on a distinguished road
Hi Canuck
I hope the replies here in finding US agents are helpful. BTW why do you think you are a troll. A troll is someone , at least to me, who goes against the general tone of a forum. Plus he or she writes rather mean spirited posts. I don't believe either is true of you.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #24
merlot143

Thanks all I'll navigate the forums with grace and dignity, even while asking the newbie questions
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #25
Eric Smart
figuring it all out

Eric Smart is on a distinguished road
Hi Merlot143

Welcome to AW.

If you think the Canadian market for fiction is pint-size spare a thought for us writers in the NZ market - it's eye dropper size here.
Best of luck.
Eric
Eric Smart is offline   Reply With Quote