Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Transatlantic
Should be writing!

Transatlantic is well-respected
Querying over the holidays

I sent some queries to US agents over the two days before Thanksgiving. I wasn't thinking about the timing since I live in the UK (though I'm American and my book suits the US market).

Four days with zero responses is agonising! (I did get a handful on Wed., including two partial requests - yay!) (I was always an impatient person, and the Internet has only made it worse.)

Was it stupid to query the day before a holiday? Might it actually hurt me - i.e., will their inboxes be so full when they back to the office that they might be quicker to delete than usual?
Transatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Ms_Sassypants
Cadence of Her Last Breath

Ms_Sassypants is on a distinguished road
I think you just need time. But of course, querying over the holidays would mean a longer time to wait.

2 request for partials. I would kill for that kind of response.

Good luck!
Ms_Sassypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Four days with zero responses? Four months is more normal.

This topic comes up about every week. Query as soon as you have something ready to go. The only thing waiting ever doe is put you behind those writers who don't wait. Wait until after the holidays and you'll still be behind those who queried just before the holidays.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Query whenever you want. Don't worry about querying over the holidays. Your query will be in the inbox when agents return to work. I've actually gotten requests on the day after Thanksgiving (traditionally a day off for many in the US) and on Christmas and New Year's day.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
amschilling
practical experience, FTW

amschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admiration
The exception being the agents that have specifically posted that they're closed to queries, of course. A few in the U.S. have said they're done taking them until the new year, and anything sent between X date and Y date will be deleted. So don't worry about the holidays per se, but check their blogs and twitter feeds to make sure they don't have a "do not submit" sign up. If they don't, send. For exactly the reason Jamesaritchie said.

Help me. Save me. Kill me. Do it. In his mind, they’re all the same. - CREEP

Web Serial | Facebook | Twitter

TOXIC: YA Urban Fantasy web serial - now available!

GRENDEL: Dark Fantasy (Querying)
CREEP: Dark Fantasy (waiting for edits)
ALEXI'S GHOST: YA Gothic (WIP)
DAGDA'S CAULDRON: Contemp. Fantasy (Researching)
amschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transatlantic View Post
Four days with zero responses is agonising!
"The horror, the horror."

-- Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

caw
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Steely

Steely is on a distinguished road
Querying over the holidays

Well, it's getting to be that time of the year... it's the holidays.

I've been talking to a lot of my friends who are currently on submission and many of them had surprisingly different opinions about querying over the holidays.

Some queried all year round no exceptions, but some intentionally stopped querying during December because "agents would give queries less thought in December due to holiday chaos... agents are people too."

Any thoughts?
Steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You can query anytime you want. Agents get to them when they can.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I figure they're also likely to be deluged with NaNoWriMo submissions.
Amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Billtrumpet25
Gaze upon my shih-tzu powers!

Billtrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
I figure they're also likely to be deluged with NaNoWriMo submissions.
Oh, good heavens.

That may or may not turn out well at all. Depending on the quality of the writing, of course.

War of the Wizard (Book 1): undergoing editing

The Wizard's Curse (Book 2): 60% complete

"The Dark Ages: Life With a Bipolar (WIP-narrative nonfiction of my experiences with my bipolar dad, and how to deal with the bp dis.'s turbulence.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...45&trk=tab_pro

https://twitter.com/BillFitzgibbons
Billtrumpet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
I've heard that January is a notoriously bad time to query because of an influx in queries due to New Year's resolutions and NaNo, but I have no personal expertise in the matter.
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #12
Little Ming

Little Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Ming is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Didn't we just have a thread with the exact same title?
Little Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Ming View Post
Didn't we just have a thread with the exact same title?
We did indeed, Little Ming, and they cover the same ground.

Merging in moments...
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There isn't a time of the year when you can't find very good reasons not to query.

Agents are human, which means they don't want to pass up the next bestselling writer, regardless of what time of year it is. Would you?