Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
wallowismel
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

wallowismel is on a distinguished road
Phrasing Dilemmas

_

Last edited by wallowismel; 02-05-2014 at 03:53 AM.
wallowismel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Chase
Silent spring

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Talking

In my opinion, the phrasing is quite readable if session gives its "s" to conflict to reflect the singular quality of "each." I don't think the semicolon works, as its chief function is to separate main clauses, and such isn't the case here. A colon would do a better job.

The format of each daily session consists of three parts: an informal lecture covering that day’s primary topic, followed by hands-on demos of key lecture concepts, and a breakout session for personal projects or group collaboration.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
wallowisme,

My edit would be as follows:

Quote:
The format of each daily session consists of three parts: an informal lecture covering that day’s primary topic, hands-on demos of key lecture concepts, and a breakout session for personal projects or group collaboration.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Kenn
New kid, be gentle!

Kenn is a shiny, shiny jewelKenn is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallowismel View Post
"The format of each daily sessions consist of three parts; an informal lecture covering that day’s primary topic, followed by hands-on demos of key lecture concepts, and a breakout session for personal projects or group collaboration." The above is snippet to be placed within a press release and I'm wondering if there are any transgressions made that make it unreadable.
The problem I have is that I'm not sure what it means. "Hands on demos of key lecture concepts" means little to me - does this mean key-lecture and is this the same lecture as the informal one? What are hands-on demos (this sounds like a contradiction)? That apart, I think if you got rid of 'three parts;' (which is obvious), then you are nearly there. However, as Chase pointed out, "each daily sessions" doesn't really make sense.
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
The problem I have is that I'm not sure what it means. "Hands on demos of key lecture concepts" means little to me - does this mean key-lecture and is this the same lecture as the informal one? What are hands-on demos (this sounds like a contradiction)? That apart, I think if you got rid of 'three parts;' (which is obvious), then you are nearly there. However, as Chase pointed out, "each daily sessions" doesn't really make sense.
Some of these are education buzzwords that have a clear meaning to teachers/educators. I teach at a college, so I have no problem knowing what these things mean. If the blurb is intended to be read by, say, educators who are attending a workshop, then it's probably fine as is. If it's intended for a more "lay audience," or for brand new students who haven't been introduced to these terms in previous courses, then defining what a "key lecture concept" is or a "hands-on demonstration" is may be handy somewhere.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
guttersquid
Riding the crest of a slump.

guttersquid is a shiny, shiny jewelguttersquid is a shiny, shiny jewel
Susan Littlefield's edit sounds good to me.

But I am wondering if you could do away with "The format of" at the beginning and simply start with "Each session consists of three parts."

Is it the format or the session that has three parts?
guttersquid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttersquid View Post

But I am wondering if you could do away with "The format of" at the beginning and simply start with "Each session consists of three parts."

Is it the format or the session that has three parts?
Excellent point. I agree.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
BethS
writer, rider, reader

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallowismel View Post
"The format of each daily sessions consist of three parts; an informal lecture covering that day’s primary topic, followed by hands-on demos of key lecture concepts, and a breakout session for personal projects or group collaboration." The above is snippet to be placed within a press release and I'm wondering if there are any transgressions made that make it unreadable.
That semi-colon should be a colon. A colon introduces a list.

Other than that, the sentence is clear, though the editing suggestions people have offered here would improve it.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Agreed - it gets better and better as one reads each response.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I was a teacher and I know what it means, but my husband walked away shaking his head. (Accountant) Perhaps if concrete examples were given, as most people tend to be more black and white than shades of gray ...

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote