Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Interesting Times in Egypt...

This just in

Quote:
Egypt's president, Mohamed Morsi, has issued constitutional amendments granting himself far-reaching powers and ordered the retrial of leaders of Hosni Mubarak's regime for the killing of protesters in last year's uprising

<<Snip>>

Morsi also decreed that all the decisions he has made since taking office in June and until a new constitution is adopted are not subject to appeal in court or by any other authority, a move that places Morsi above oversight of any kind. He already has legislative powers after the lower chamber was dissolved days before he took office on 30 June.
Let's watch with interest, shall we?
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Uh oh.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I guess Morsi's finding out that democracy isn't a lot of fun.

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
sulong
It's a matter of what is.

sulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admiration
Successful peace making is hard work. Ruling powers need all the tools they can get to "keep the peace".
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulong View Post
Successful peace making is hard work. Ruling powers need all the tools they can get to "keep the peace".
Wiretapping and secret torture prisons included.

Paving with good intentions seems to be rampant these days...
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a glorious beacon of lightTeinz is a glorious beacon of lightTeinz is a glorious beacon of light
Look at how many balls Morsi has to juggle. The US, his electorate, Hamas, Israel, various arab leaders. I guess he going to try and aqcuire as much power as he possibly can.
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teinz View Post
Look at how many balls Morsi has to juggle. The US, his electorate, Hamas, Israel, various arab leaders. I guess he going to try and aqcuire as much power as he possibly can.
This is nothing more than another episode in the sorry saga of Egyptian leadership. The only brightness in the political leadership of that nation since maybe an enlightened pharaoh (if there ever was one) was Anwar Sadat, who made peace with Israel. And got assassinated for his effort. Even Sadat wasn't exactly a paragon of democratic rule.

caw
Old 11-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
cease fire, schmeece fire. *sigh*

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #9
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why am I not surprised?

For that matter, should anyone be?
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Unfortunately, nobody should be surprised

It sounds wonderful to have a revolution, but if you don't give it real teeth it'll get hijacked. The folks with the teeth were pretty obvious, and they are in power now. I was hoping very much that the really good guys had an ace in the hole. Nope. So sad.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Romantic Heretic
uncoerced

Romantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputationRomantic Heretic has a golden reputation
My thought? I wonder when the guillotines go up.

As I've said before, most revolutions install governments worse than the one they kicked out. I think it's because the people that wanted change decide they've won and go home or sit down to rest. But those going after power never rest.

Dominant Desires: Ropes and Roses Smashwords Amazon Barnes & Noble Sony Kobo

Stewardess - an erotic free read Smashwords Barnes & Noble Kobo

My website - Romantic Heretic
Romantic Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
BBC are reporting that crowds have attacked Muslim Brotherhood offices. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20458148
Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Lhipenwhe
Moving with my soul, step by step

Lhipenwhe has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by muravyets View Post
I guess Morsi's finding out that democracy isn't a lot of fun.
He's getting everything he wanted from the democratic process. I'd say he's having plenty of fun.

-
The Nameless One, Planescape: Torment

Lhipenwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
whistlelock
Whiskey Rebel

whistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for President
'cause, yeah, seizing power like this has always gone so well in the past. Why not do it now?