Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Announcements, Events, and Book Promotion
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Roadiegal66
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Roadiegal66 is on a distinguished road
Chicago greetings!

Roadiegal66 here. Yes, I should be preparing for Turkey Day, yet here I am. I stumbled onto this site from elsewhere in the publishing world and discovered a great new community. Excellent!

I'm a veteran journalist, policy analyst, blogger, Lindyhopper, swing DJ, jazz fan, lounge lizard, style diva, foodie, wino, occasional writer of short stories and all-purpose Dragon Lady who is currently at work on her second nonfiction book (the first one was a while ago). This one's on the original 1926 path of U.S. Route 66 between Chicago and Joliet (the most ignored part of the route), so of course I want to connect with anyone else who has an interest in the former Main Street of America, Mother Road, whatever else you want to call it. And I've never been part of a writing group/forum/writers' support group like this before, so I look forward to the experience.

And since I'm the newbie here in that respect, I have a couple of resources to pass along if you don't already know about them. I notice a few good-looking threads here on publishers and agents. I used to follow ASJA's Contracts Watch, myself; but now that that information has changed form a bit and is no longer accessible electronically to nonmembers, the ASJA website still has a few departments that some of you may find useful. The first is their blog, The Word: http://www.asja.org/theword/

The other is their breaking news page:
http://www.asja.org/for-writers/breaking-news/

Their links page includes some choice things, too. Be sure to check that out.

OOOPS: just found something **scary** on copyright at Publetariat: a memo on copyright 'reform' so controversial the GOP actually had to deny it ... yet here it is, on Scribd:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/113633834/...Property-Brief

READ it, y'all -- it's nasty! I'll report this link on the appropriate subject thread.

Ciao for now, ragazzi!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Nickie
Not too old to learn

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to AW, Roadiegal, and enjoy the turkey!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Roadiegal66
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Roadiegal66 is on a distinguished road
Forgot to mention: the book blog!!

Thanks, I shall -- I don't have to cook it this year! (going to a beloved friend's instead)

Something I forgot to mention in first post: even though I'm still writing the book manuscript now (in between freelance work), I've already created a book blog where I and my two co-authors (both geographers) post Route 66-related stuff that doesn't quite fit into the book but can be used to discuss the subject ... and build the ever-lovin' author 'platform' we keep being urged to create. Yes, yes, so we're working on that. Y'all be the judges; here's the book blog URL:

http://curioustraveler66.wordpress.com/

All feedback deeply appreciated!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
regdog
Kreon Prowl and Skywarp
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Roadiegal, your intro thread reads to be all promo including the links. The link you edited to add regarding copyright you started another thread on. This is not how AW works. Members are to be involved and active in the community before promoting.

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

In fact, we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Tepelus
Is a chilly.

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello, and welcome!

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
regdog
Kreon Prowl and Skywarp
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Upon further review this is being ported to AE&SP

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by regdog View Post
Roadiegal, your intro thread reads to be all promo including the links. The link you edited to add regarding copyright you started another thread on. This is not how AW works. Members are to be involved and active in the community before promoting.

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

In fact, we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Bolding mine. That is straight from the AE&SP guidelines, and it is the policy for this forum. However, I'm simply going to lock this thread as I have something to say on the subject of self-promoting as you [general "you"] cross AW's threshold:

AbsoluteWrite forums is a community of people who share a love of writing and who read voraciously, but we're not marks. Effective and sensible self-promotion hinges on knowing and caring about your audience and their interests; and, in order to do that you have to care enough about them to take the time to get to know them and let them get to know you before launching into a sales spiel.

Roadiegal, please do visit the threads noted in my signature. Do take the time to get to know the community and let them get to know you as a person. If you do that, you'll meet a lot of generous and helpful people who'll enjoy welcoming you and interacting with you as learn about them and make friends within the community. If you choose not to take that path, your next self-promotional posts (wherever they may be) will likely be deleted with extreme prejudice. They will in AE&SP.

Last edited by Ari Meermans; 11-22-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Closed Thread