Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Blasphemy charged Pakistani girl set free

This story was discussed a while ago, about a 14yr old girl, with mental disabilities that was being put on trial for blasphemy in Pakistan. Well, she's been found not guilty.

Quote:
A Pakistani court dismissed on Tuesday a blasphemy case against a Christian girl which had drawn international condemnation and concern about the rights of religious minorities in the predominantly Muslim country.

Rimsha Masih, believed to be no older than 14, was charged with burning pages of the Koran in August but was granted bail in September after a cleric was detained on suspicion of planting evidence to stir up resentment against Christians.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AJ0B420121120

So yeah, the court recognized that this was a set up, thankfully. However, don't expect things to change too much, in terms of the blasphemy laws:
Quote:
The blasphemy law enjoys widespread support among ordinary Pakistanis even though critics say it is often abused by people involved in disputes or against members of religious minorities.

Over the past two years, two senior government officials who had suggested reform of the law were shot dead, one by his own bodyguard. Lawyers threw rose petals at the killer and the judge who convicted him was forced to flee the country.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
druid12000
You're out of your tree...

Location: The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans...
druid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank all that is right with the world!
" My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." ~ from 'Joe vs the Volcano'
druid12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm glad she's been released. I hope she stays safe.

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
StormChord
Allegedly Gullible

StormChord is a glorious beacon of lightStormChord is a glorious beacon of light
Some faith in humanity has been restored.

I would be a merry wanderer of the night, but my city has curfew laws.

I'm not really crazy, I just like exploring all possibilities in things. If that happens to include angry flying bicycle catfish, that's not my problem.
StormChord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Rob Lefebvre
Ass kicker

Rob Lefebvre is on a distinguished road
I feel the fact that laws like this in the first place are a huge issue. I find it deeply disturbing that there was a very real possibility of a mentally handicap minor being convicted of a crime for burning paper.

Twitter: @Robert_Lefebvre
Rob Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
Hurray!
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
regdog
Optimus Prime
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblanket View Post
I'm glad she's been released. I hope she stays safe.
This +10

My Blog-Updated on 8/22/14 Same Place Different Time

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote