Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Editor
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Sarah_Will_Write
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Sarah_Will_Write is on a distinguished road
How long is it supposed to take for an offer?

I am on sub, and it's driving me bonkers - how long does it usually take from the time you go on sub, until an offer? Does it either sell fairly quickly or not at all?

My agent tells me not to worry, and he knows better than me - I'm just curious to know some of the stories out there.

http://sarahwillalwayswrite.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/SarahSchauerte
Sarah_Will_Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Meems
figuring it all out

Meems is on a distinguished road
I think you might want to take a look at this thread in Rejection and Dejection

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=93652

It's for people on sub and is filled with tons of information and front-line accounts.

And congratulations on being on sub.
Meems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congratulations on getting so far.

It takes as long as it takes: I've had responses within a day, and I've had responses take months. There are no rules.

You might like to ask your agent how long she thinks it'll take. She's there for you to ask these sorts of questions.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not all agented submissions ever receive an offer, no matter how good the agent is. And even with a good agent, a sale can take from two weeks to six months.

It's tough, but bury yourself in another novel and try to forget all about the one on sub. It can eat you alive, if you spend all your time thinking about it.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
NicolaD
This will all make sense tomorrow

NicolaD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
It's tough, but bury yourself in another novel and try to forget all about the one on sub. It can eat you alive, if you spend all your time thinking about it.
This.

I'm also on sub, about the 8 week mark, and am getting a lot better at not refreshing my email every 2.5 seconds...

But I figure between general timelines, the hurricane, the election and the snowstorm, I'll cut the publishing industry some slack and just focus on what I can control - the wordcount for my second book.
FB: Nicola Davidson - Author
Twitter: @NicolaMDavidson
---
Represented by Jessica Alvarez at Bookends Literary
His Forbidden Lady (Tudor) coming August 2014 from Entangled Publishing.
NicolaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A matter of hours to over a year or even never.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Too many variables to predict with any accuracy.
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have not been on sub yet, but congratulations on your success. I have always heard to forget about what you have out there and to start working on something else. Yep, it must be very tough.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meems View Post
front-line accounts.
... good term for it; hee, hee :-D
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Elizabeth Holloway
Pass the sugar

Elizabeth Holloway is a shiny, shiny jewelElizabeth Holloway is a shiny, shiny jewel
Oh, I feel your pain. I've been on sub since August and... ugh! It's enough to drive a girl crazy! Working on my next project helps. And as each week passes, I think about it less and less.
Congrats, btw, and good luck!
Website * Twitter * Blog
Elizabeth Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Jennifer Robins
paranormal interest

Jennifer Robins is on a distinguished road
new agent

I just got together with an agent for the first time. I have several works for her to represent and sub for me. She's not one of the best known NY agents, but there are good reports about her and she has experience in the agent and publishing world. I'm already working on a new novel and have outlines for more, so I think I can keep busy while I wait.
Jennifer Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Robins View Post
I just got together with an agent for the first time. I have several works for her to represent and sub for me. She's not one of the best known NY agents, but there are good reports about her and she has experience in the agent and publishing world. I'm already working on a new novel and have outlines for more, so I think I can keep busy while I wait.
Congratulations, Jennifer. Here's hoping you have some good news to share soon.!
bo do nu quan lot nam tui ngu cao cap cho be thoi trang cong so gia re vay lien cong so nu chup anh thoi trang dep

Last edited by profen4; 05-14-2013 at 05:58 PM.
profen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Jennifer Robins
paranormal interest

Jennifer Robins is on a distinguished road
Thank you. She says I'm ready for the mid to big houses, so we'll see. It was my publisher at Astraea Press who told me about her after I had a review of one of my books done by this agent. (Outside That Door) It was a great five star review.
Jennifer Robins is offline   Reply With Quote