Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Historical Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Radzeer
The Man from Eastern Europe

Radzeer is on a distinguished road
How to call parents in medieval times?

I am trying to figure out how a child (under 14) would call his/her parents in medieval times (12th - 15th century) when speaking to them. Anybody has any idea? My story takes place in Russia (if that makes any difference).
Obviously not "mom" and "dad", but I'm not sure if "mother" or "father" would have been used.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Sunflowerrei
practical experience, FTW

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
I think it would be: Mother, Father. Sir, Madam. My lord, my lady. In formal situations with other adults, the children might have used their parents' titles, if they had any. It depends on the family. Usually, the richer the family was, the children were more likely to be cared for by nannies.

Percolating Idea: Victorian, Gilded Age.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Depends of the class / status of the family. Poor and uneducated families might not speak formal or proper language.

A peasants son or daughter might just call his mother and father ma and pa. While a nobleman's children may refer to their parents as mother and father.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
benbenberi
practical experience, FTW

benbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of light
What are the Russian equivalents of mom/mum & dad?

(Mom/mum/ma/mama and dad/pa/papa are very, very old words that were certainly in use in medieval times, so don't just rule them out because they're also used today. Social class, the level of formality, and the age of the children are important considerations, however. An older child in a noble family, esp. one who is being raised mostly by servants or by a foster-family, might well call their parents "my lord" and "my lady," while a very young peasant child would almost certainly use the local version of mom and dad.)
benbenberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Radzeer

Thank you for the good points!

@ beriberi: I was just thinking that mom and dad sound too modern, so while they may have been used in the medieval times it would still give readers some weird feelings.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Anne Lyle
Fantastic historian

Location: Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
Anne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
@ beriberi: I was just thinking that mom and dad sound too modern, so while they may have been used in the medieval times it would still give readers some weird feelings.
I have the same problem with my Elizabethan-set fantasy - the appellations "mama" and "papa" (with the stress on the final syllable) didn't come into use in England until the 17th/18th century. In the period I'm writing, "mamma" and "daddy" seem to be the correct informal versions, but the latter sounds so modern! So, I have older children use "mother" and "father" and reserve the informal versions for very young children.

Anne Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
BySharonNelson
(Insert something whitty here)

BySharonNelson is well-respected
I think this may be more complicated that just ma or da. This page on the Russian familial terms has a good list but it looks like it is entirely dependent on the relationship. http://www.doukhobor.org/Terms-Familial.htm Also on Yahoo answers http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8093838AA19sxB there is a good list but you will probably need to have them translated into English It may be a good idea to ask a Russian speaking person?? IMHO when I am reading a book set in a different culture it throws me off when they are calling their parents mom and dad or mother and father as I know that mostly only English speaking cultures would use such words.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
angeliz2k
never mind the shorty

angeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by BySharonNelson View Post
I think this may be more complicated that just ma or da. This page on the Russian familial terms has a good list but it looks like it is entirely dependent on the relationship. http://www.doukhobor.org/Terms-Familial.htm Also on Yahoo answers http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8093838AA19sxB there is a good list but you will probably need to have them translated into English It may be a good idea to ask a Russian speaking person?? IMHO when I am reading a book set in a different culture it throws me off when they are calling their parents mom and dad or mother and father as I know that mostly only English speaking cultures would use such words.
But there is only one word for father and one word (and a shorter version) for mother. In this case, since the words probably won't be familiar to English-speaking readers, it seems preferable to stick with English equivalents.

This often becomes a problem in historical fiction. Obviously, everything is being "translated" into modern English. The question isn't "what term was used", because the correct term probably wouldn't be familiar to the reader. The question is "what term is the most evocative/appropriate". I'd say mama/papa for young children, and mother/father or even my lord father/my lady mother for older children

WIP 1: Britannia c.AD 60. 120 k. Trunked.
WIP 2: Paris, 1780s. 88k. five fulls, one partial, six rejections
WIP 3: Antebellum South, 1854 100k; querying; two fulls, both rejected; R&R
WIP 4: Novella. Civil War w/a hint of supernatural. 43k
WIP 5: The Cotton Wars. 104k. Editing.

My Blog:
MARIE ANTOINETTE'S DIAMONDS:
angeliz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They could always use the Latin, Mater and Pater.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Miller Robert
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Miller Robert is on a distinguished road
I advice you to read a useful book about childhood in Medieval ages - Aries P. Centuries of Childhood a Social History of Family Life (1962).
There is some information about this book http://www.representingchildhood.pitt.edu/pdf/aries.pdf

Last edited by Miller Robert; 12-04-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Miller Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
Radzeer

Thank you all for the additional resources!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
Miller Robert
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Miller Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
I am trying to figure out how a child (under 14) would call his/her parents in medieval times (12th - 15th century) when speaking to them. Anybody has any idea? My story takes place in Russia (if that makes any difference).
Obviously not "mom" and "dad", but I'm not sure if "mother" or "father" would have been used.
What part of Russia (which principality)?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #13
Radzeer

Sorry for the late response, I've been away for some time. It is Chernigov in the early 13th century.