Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's polling day in England and Wales...

..and I nearly missed it.

Elected police commissioners are a pretty stupid idea in my boo. Couple that with the date (no other elections taking place) and the publicity (no funded leaflets, so there hasn't been any at all) and you've got a recipe for a farcically low turnout, but someone's going to get elected whether you like it or not. The Guardian blog gives a good idea of just how few people are voting.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think I know anyone's who voting. Or who cares. Or who's been able to find out much about it.

Stupid question - what are the commissioners actually going to do?

My site My twitter My facebook

Last edited by seun; 11-15-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by seun View Post
Stupid question - what are the commissioners actually going to do?
Hopefully nothing. I presume these are just joking offices so the coalition can pay lip service to localism.

The worrying alternative is that they'll actually have power. Imagine some UKIP tosser elected on nought point bugger-all of the vote actually ordering police officers around.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I may vote on the way home if I'm not too late.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Priene
Out to lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
I may vote on the way home if I'm not too late.
Stay safe. It's a voting frenzy out there.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
fireluxlou
practical experience, FTW

fireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputation
Eh I'm not voting. Didn't even know until just now.
fireluxlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Fallen
"School? Mum, no!"

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wouldn't mind, but all we got was a voting card. Even if I went, I wouldn't know whom I'm voting for, or why (other than the obvious 'I want to be your elected police commissioner').

Don't know you, mate. Move on. Nothing to see here.

Goodreads

2013 Rainbow Honorable Mention Award (Don't)

Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Priene
Out to lunch

I voted. That way, if a UKIP candidate does get in (and on the turnouts reported being by the BBC and the Guardian it's not impossible) at least I can say, 'Hey, not my fault'.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
fireluxlou

fireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priene View Post
I voted. That way, if a UKIP candidate does get in (and on the turnouts reported being by the BBC and the Guardian it's not impossible) at least I can say, 'Hey, not my fault'.
It wasn't promoted at all where I live so i never voted. Pity I'm not at home.
fireluxlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Priene
Out to lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
It wasn't promoted at all where I live so i never voted. Pity I'm not at home.
It wasn't promoted anywhere. The Tories and Liberals decided not to allow free postage for election leaflets, unlike every other election. Result: no-one knows their candidates and most don't even know there's an election on. Another fantastic coalition success.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #12
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
I met one of the candidates for Norfolk - only he had the sense to withdraw from the farce. He was probably the only reason I knew about the whole thing. And getting a voting card which I have not used.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did think about voting but could find out hardly anything about the candidates in my area. Then I had a really busy day and totally forgot about it until this morning.

I doubt it matters. From what I have found out, the PC will mainly be a front man with little power.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The only way I could be bothered to vote would be if one of the candidates had been named Jim Gordon.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Interesting tumblr with photographs (taken by the voters) of their deliberately spoiled ballots.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So .... the average turnout was what? 8 - 10%? Quite a lot of them spoiled.....

What a waste of time.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What an uplifting series of photographs, thanks. I particularly liked the "Commissioner Gordon," "Batman," and "The Answer is Never More Politicians" ones. I think I need a t-shirt or bumper sticker of that last one.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
Priene
Out to lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
I did think about voting but could find out hardly anything about the candidates in my area. Then I had a really busy day and totally forgot about it until this morning.

I doubt it matters. From what I have found out, the PC will mainly be a front man with little power.
They apparently will have the power to hire and fire the heads of their local forces.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
Evaine

Evaine is well-respected
They also have the power to set budgets - and there are people who are very concerned that this will mean privatising the police by the back door, by putting various police activities out to tender. G4S (who made such a hash of security at the Olympics that the Army had to be called in) already have contracts to run various services for Lincolnshire police, for example.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #20
Catalyn
Nano'ing....

Catalyn is on a distinguished road
I didn't vote, and neither did anyone I know.

Our local BBC site had short profiles of all the candidates, but they all pretty much promised to do exactly the same thing - be tough on crime, with no real specifics. An independent candidate ended up winning in my area; she was the only one who seemed to have any experience of management within the police force, which I'm sure played a huge part in her getting elected. My sister in law works for the police and she was given no more information than anyone else as to who she should elect to run her department.

Part of the reason I didn't vote was in protest of party affiliations being dragged into the whole process. The main reason though is that I worked all day then had a pub quiz to go to in the evening, wasn't about to sacrifice that just to go and vote.

WIP - some sort of time-travellish apocalyptic urban fantasy weirdness
April Nano project

Catalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Priene
Out to lunch

The first action by Avon and Somerset's new commissioner (Sue Mountstevens, Independent, voted in on a 20% turnout,) is to get the Chief Constable to resign after telling him he must reapply for his own job.

Well done, the Coalition, for this startling demonstration of local democracy in action.