Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hollywood remake of Tomorrow People

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/greg...morrow-people/

Oh dear.......
Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh no no no no no please no.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't know. I think it could not suck. I liked original Tomorrow People but even as a kid I thought the basic concept could have been done a lot better. On the other hand I pretend the 90s remake never happened.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Me too.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
I don't know. I think it could not suck. I liked original Tomorrow People but even as a kid I thought the basic concept could have been done a lot better. On the other hand I pretend the 90s remake never happened.
I kind of agree. I liked the show as a kid, but as an adult, I realized that it could have been a lot better. I wouldn't even want to watch it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Coming August 19th: Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
amergina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I used to love the show as a kid (they showed it on Nickelodeon in the US back in the early 80s) but I think it's one of those things that was super cool when I was a kid because I didn't realize how "not actually great" it was. Nostalgia seems to sometimes make things cooler than they deserve. Except Danger Mouse. It's still cool.

However, I'm not too keen on Hollywood ruining yet another one of my treasures from childhood. It's bad enough that they destroyed The Karate Kid and Footloose. They don't need to crap on TTP, especially not on The CW, which has already rebooted and destroyed 90210, another iconic show from my childhood.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A lot of what we remembered as being great as kids was never that good to begin with. It hasn't really been "ruined."

Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why not? It's not like they'd be ruining anything. The original series was tosh, more-or-less.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
A lot of what we remembered as being great as kids was never that good to begin with. It hasn't really been "ruined."
True, but The Karate Kid and Footloose were both awesome and the remakes were crap in comparison.

The fact the it's being developed for The CW doesn't fill me with much hope that the reboot will be good. Only TV reboot of an old franchise that I can think of that was successful (and much better than the original) is Battlestar Galactica.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opty View Post
True, but The Karate Kid and Footloose were both awesome and the remakes were crap in comparison.

The fact the it's being developed for The CW doesn't fill me with much hope that the reboot will be good. Only TV reboot of an old franchise that I can think of that was successful (and much better than the original) is Battlestar Galactica.
Ooh, that's a hopeful thought. The old Battlestar Galactica was pretty rubbishy. When one starts from something that bad the remake can be no worse and is likely to be somewhat better. The same holds for The Tomorrow People.

I wonder if the's going to be more rummaging through cheesy old cult TV. Electrawoman and Dynagirl, anybody?

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
dolores haze
ageing savage

dolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I watched a clip from The Tomorrow People on YouTube recently. It hasn't aged well. I loved it as a kid. I still want one of those jaunt belts!
dolores haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opty View Post
I don't remember the Karate Kid, but when I watched Footloose years later, I was embarassed that I used to like it. I'm sure the remake is crap, but it's not as if Footloose was Casablanca, and remaking it would be blasphemy.

Something like The Tomorrow People could be interesting if it were remade because, even though it hadn't aged well, there was always something there that was interesting. It could be made into something cool.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
neilfriske
practical experience, FTW

neilfriske is on a distinguished road
WAR OF THE EMPIRES
WAR OF THE EMPIRES
WAR OF THE EMPIRES
neilfriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*revives old thread for the Tomorrow People premiere on CW*

Anyone watching it?
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
Steve Coate
Turning pages and phrases

Steve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteve Coate is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I caught the pilot. Didn't much care for the original series, but after seeing commercials for the modernized version, I was intrigued enough to watch.

There was some annoying narration at the beginning that I'd hoped disappeared for good, but to my consternation it resurfaced at the end. Good FX throughout, but the story seems fairly rudimentary. Also, when viewers are expected to believe telepaths are unsure of someone else's motivations, it stretches believability a bit too far in my opinion. Not planning on tuning in next week.

Steve Coate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I didn't know this was a remake. Never heard of it as a kid. When I watched the commercials for this show, all I could think of was Heroes.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Never mind, it sucked. Oh well.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori1977 View Post
I didn't know this was a remake. Never heard of it as a kid. When I watched the commercials for this show, all I could think of was Heroes.
This is not the first reference I've seen comparing it to Heroes. Since I have seen the original, I've seen some of Heroes, then saw this new reboot, I don't get the comparison at all. The two are nothing alike.

That said, I'm not sure what I think of the new series. Already I see the set up for a love triangle, which is not a trope I'm fond of. I'll give it a few more episodes before making a final determination.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:

Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
Violeta
All I Ever Wanted Was The World

Violeta is a shiny, shiny jewelVioleta is a shiny, shiny jewel
I didn't expect to like it, but I kind of did.

Agreeing with Steve's comment about the narration bits, though. Really unnecessary.

Anyway... I think they went a little too fast for a first episode. The protagonist took it all in pretty fast and easy. I don't know. They didn't waste any time in marking him as the chosen one. That many powers, that powerful... I don't know. Too fast for my tastes.

But I still liked it, though, so I guess I'll be watching a few more episodes to see where it goes.

Btw, the guy playing the bad guy is OMG everywhere! Am I the only one noticing him in every single tv show on Earth? He plays the bad, bad, bad, really bad guy in all of them. He gets killed. And then he moves on to another show in serious need of a very twisted villain.
-WIP#1 - YA Sci-Fi - Second Draft- Writing-

-------------Get your premade covers here------------------
Violeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #21
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

I saw a show with almost none of the good bits of the original and yet another superbuff too old actor who finds he is the chosen one. The turned the weirdness of the tomorrow people (which are closer to the modern idea of indigo children) into Marvel light where everyone has basically the same powers for no obvious reason--but the chosen one has even more.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Robert Alden
Never give up. Never surrender.

Robert Alden is on a distinguished road
Why this nobody becomes the all powerful one in a matter of days is what is killing my enjoyment of the pilot.

The ending bit/twist, and the two main rebel characters are the bulk of what I enjoyed about it. Most of it felt cheesy and forced beforehand. Everyone having the same powers... except our hero... who is super powerful...
Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #23
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
This is not the first reference I've seen comparing it to Heroes. Since I have seen the original, I've seen some of Heroes, then saw this new reboot, I don't get the comparison at all. The two are nothing alike.

That said, I'm not sure what I think of the new series. Already I see the set up for a love triangle, which is not a trope I'm fond of. I'll give it a few more episodes before making a final determination.
"In the vein of X-Men andHeroes, Tomorrow People is the story of several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil."

This is taken from the article linked in the first post. It's the people around the world realizing they have special powers thing that makes me think of Heroes. Other than that, I don't know anything about the show.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #24
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori1977 View Post
"In the vein of X-Men andHeroes, Tomorrow People is the story of several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil."
Ah. Hm. I still say it's nothing like Heroes but it is closer to X-Men where it appears everyone has the same powers.
Quote:

Old 10-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow. I remember watching the 90s version of this (I'm too young for the original). I wouldn't have thought it was a good enough idea to warrant a remake...

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote