Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Urban Agriculture 2: This time, it's personal

http://singularityhub.com/2012/11/05...vertical-farm/

And going from theoretical test to "actually working right now."

Quote:
Singapore, a small country that imports most of its food, has now begun selling vegetables from its first vertical farm. And even while they’re more expensive the vegetables are already selling faster than they can be grown. If the farms prove sustainable – both technologically and economically – they could provide a much desired supplement to Singapore’s locally grown food and serve as a model for farming in other land-challenged areas.
According to the article, it's not just land-efficient, it's also water and electrical efficient. I could see this being a great boon. Imagine, cities being self-sustaining rather than dependent on long distance shipping and transport.

Fingers crossed for this farm and the company making it.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Kriven
Sockpuppet

Kriven is on a distinguished road
I can feel the overwhelming darkness and apocalyptic thoughts leaving. Please world, continue with the happy-making science.
Kriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
...have you been talking to Plot Device again?

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
K.L. Bennett
A floopy flolloper

K.L. Bennett is a splendid one to beholdK.L. Bennett is a splendid one to beholdK.L. Bennett is a splendid one to behold
Awesome!! I remember watching a show on Discovery or Science years ago about a company developing a prototype of one of these, maybe the same company, and I remember thinking we better get these going sooner rather than later.
K.L. Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's been a ton of activity in urban agriculture lately. Given the hollowing out of the inner cities, there's already more than enough land available in a lot of places to avoid going vertical, and as other cities follow Detroit, there will be even more. For places like Singapore, though, this is a great, if relatively expensive, solution.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
dirtsider
Not so new, really

dirtsider is a glorious beacon of lightdirtsider is a glorious beacon of lightdirtsider is a glorious beacon of light
I hope this works out for Singapore because, if it does, it could get the momentum going for similiar farms elsewhere. And if it catches on, there's a good chance that the prices to both sell and create these farms may drop.

But yeah, there's a greater interest in Urban Agriculture lately, which thrills me. I have my own little garden this year (and hopefully next year) and I support my local farmers by going to my local farmer's market every year when it's open.
dirtsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Urban ag is great for countries with no land for farming to improve sustainability and security.

However for places like the US it would be very wastefully of resources that are not sustainable such as electricity from coal burning plants.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Well, according to the article, it didn't actually take that much electricity. Plus, how much energy is saved by growing locally?

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It takes a lot of electricity to move it to cold climates (heating) and scaling upwards (lighting).

The unit shown is a nice one. But would be hobby scale here and the price differential would be bigger because veges in the US are a lot cheaper.

It is a niche principle for some niche growing, but not easily translated and scaled to the US. Where we have land and cheap labor.

I would also put a word in for being in touch with the actual soil on the actual land and conserving farming as a land-based activity. I think the first priority should be getting back to that--not proceeding even more with intensive systems.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Makes sense! Still, it's a good thing for places like Japan.

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

It is a good for any area to be self-sufficient. And for more people to see and be involved in making food.

Everything in balance IMHO.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
icerose
Lost in School Work

icerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsicerose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember seeing the conceptual drawings for this some years ago. It's neat to see it in practice and working. Self sufficiency is important for everyone everywhere. This is a good step for densly populated areas who don't have the space necessary for normal farming.

I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/
icerose is offline   Reply With Quote