Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
RemiJ
figuring it all out

RemiJ is on a distinguished road
Mac Word 2008 Repaginating?

I'm 125 pages into my book and now the Word program that it's being written on opens with the message that the document is repaginating. What does this mean? Should I be worried that I'm going to lose it?

I've only ever used Word before for simple tasks. I tried looking up instructions on what this meant and how to fix it, but I'm too unfamiliar with the program to follow the directions. I don't seem to have the options they list anyway.

Help, Help, Help. Should I open a new document and continue my story in that? I've been saving copies in my email account. Will those be corrupted too? Am I corrupted already?
RemiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Nekko
New motto: more purr, less hiss

Location: Do you know where the middle of nowhere is? Four miles past that
Nekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have to admit that I've mostly switched to writing in Pages. But twice I've run into problems with it too. When I've copied and pasted into a new document it seemed to leave the glitches behind. It certainly can't hurt.

Good luck!

--jjdebenedictis

Me on FB
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
Ctairo
Why Isn't IGNORE Available in RL?

Ctairo is a splendid one to beholdCtairo is a splendid one to beholdCtairo is a splendid one to behold
Do you get an actual error every time you open the file? Documents tend to repaginate as you add/subtract text (or add headers/footers). Unless something strange is happening (i.e., the text disappears), I don't think there's an issue.

Make sure you back the work up though to be safe.

"Either you're gracious. Or you're a dick."

"Can't be both?"

"No."

"I'm a dick."
Ctairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
aibrean
Author, Designer, Imaginative Being

aibrean is on a distinguished road
I would make a new document and copy your content into there and save and see if that gets rid of the issue. I've never had that come up on mine, but if it did I would probably be freaking out!

WIP - Infiltrate (Holo Book 2) [YA Sci-fi]
Lady From Day won an ADDY for book design!

My website
aibrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiJ View Post
I'm 125 pages into my book and now the Word program that it's being written on opens with the message that the document is repaginating. What does this mean? Should I be worried that I'm going to lose it?
It's fairly normal on a very large file to see that on opening the file.

It means it's going through the file and rending the text as pages, is all.

What I would do is got to Preferences in Word, and look under the section on Saving and make sure you've got Fast Save turned off. It tends to corrupt files.

I'd also regularly do a Save As and save the file as both a Word file and as an RTF or Rich Text File, using the name and the current date.

For instance:

my_novel_11_16_2012.rtf
my_novel_11_16_2012.doc

Those are your belt-and-suspender backups. I'd think about putting copies in DropBox or Sugar Sync.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
RemiJ
figuring it all out

RemiJ is on a distinguished road
Thank you everybody! I've done everything you suggested. Super scary because it started around 50,000+ words. What bigger nightmare could there be than losing your work?
RemiJ is offline   Reply With Quote