Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
akaria
practical experience, FTW

akaria is well-respected
Gentry Publishing

Brand spanking new with one book available. No future books are on the release schedule. The site is geared to writers not readers. They accept everything from Romance to Mystery to Christian.

The staff bios are....lacking. The skill of writing throughout the entire site is also lacking.

I couldn't find any info about what percentage of royalties they pay. Nothing about if it's based on cover price, net, etc.

http://gentrypublishing.com/

akaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Their first release was written by their "Assistant Editor in Chief."

ETA: The release date for that book is listed on the front page of the website as October 26, 2012. I can find zero evidence that the book was in fact released; it's not available on the site, or on B&N or Amazon.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller

Last edited by Stacia Kane; 11-10-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
aliceshortcake
Wilde about Oscar

aliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for President
I found the book, Brianna Soloski's Girl Seeks Place, on Amazon. The sample doesn't contain any egregious editing errors, which is more than I can say for Gentry's amateurish site (http://gentrypublishing.com/)

Quote:
We are currently working on the fiction genre, but we are hoping to expand soon.
Fiction is a genre?

Quote:
There are beauty in words and we hope you enjoy our beauty.
That sentence are not grammatically correct.

Quote:
Although Gentry will be expanding into numerous styles of genre’s we are currently only looking for specific styles at this time.

Fiction genre’s we are currently looking for are:
  • Romance / Paranormal Romance
  • Young Adult
  • Fantasy
  • Drama
  • Christian
  • Contemporary
  • Literary
  • Mystery
  • Action and Adventure
"Styles of genre's"? "Currently...at this time?"

About founder Amanda J Harris:

Quote:
An avid reader. She has been known to read six books in one day if left unattended by adult supervision. Amanda has been working in publishing and marketing for over ten years now. Having started an online blogazine, she later retired from, she has worked on both sides of the coin. She worked on marketing her magazine and articles, as well as having those who are marketing their items and books to her.
Is your inner English teacher screaming yet? No? Try this:

Quote:
I sent my manuscript as a pasted in the body of the email already! Why do I have to resend it in a different format?
Quote:

The reason is that most of our editors don’t actually work in the same office, heck majority don’t live in the same state. We have some in New York and some are in India. However, no matter where they are and what type of system they have (Linux, Mac, Windows etc) there is one thing in common they do have: they all can read .doc/.rtf files. This is to ensure when we get your submission we don’t hold you up by having you reformat it and resubmitting everything and potentially losing your place in the pending submissions line due to the wait of having you reformat your entire manuscript and synopsis.

Now, imagine trying to read 120,000 words on a computer screen, let me tell you it is not always the easiest! In fact it is downright straining on the eyeballs.
Gentry is primarily an e-pub but also produces ye olde printed books:

Quote:
If your manuscript is around 50,000 words or above, then quite possibly yes. The details of your print options are outlined in your contract. We send books to print once they have hit certain e-book sales goals.

Sometimes shorter books with similar themes or genres are combined for print release. But this is a decision made later in the publishing process. If your book is too short to go to print by itself then Gentry doesn’t guarantee it will ever go to print.

Our print books are all fully returnable, and can be found in Amazon, Barnes & Noble etc.
I'm puzzled by the claim that Gentry's books are fully returnable, because needless to say they're POD.

Quote:
All products are generally printed when ordered which can add a little time to the shipping date. We use this method to keep costs of the books down.
Since POD books aren't mass-produced they're usually much more expensive than their offset-printed counterparts. Girl Seeks Place is currently only available as an e-book, but if it ever makes it into print I'll be surprised if it doesn't cost at least three or four dollars more than a non-POD book of similar length. Gentry's FAQ page also refers to wholesale orders:

Quote:
Shipping times for wholesale orders will vary depending on production schedules and shipping methods requested. Please allow two weeks for back orders of books not in stock and an additional three to six weeks for delivery. International orders may take longer. Orders can be placed directly through our printer, Lightning Source (http://www.lightningsource.com) which may result in shorter wait times.
But what about the all-important advances and royalties?

Quote:
Does Gentry offer an advance?

No. This is for your benefit. If we offer advances we would offer less percentages for our royalties. The higher the percentage, the more money you are making in the long run!

How are Royalties paid?

Royalties from books sold at Gentry are paid quarterly, via PayPal and check. If you need other options please discuss that with your editor. Royalties from other vendors, such as Fictionwise and Mobipocket, are paid to Gentry on a quarterly basis, so Gentry will pay you quarterly. Print royalties are paid biannually. Royalties will be held until you make at least $25 in royalties.
I'd better let the experts deal with this...

Last edited by aliceshortcake; 11-11-2012 at 04:15 PM.
aliceshortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post
I found the book, Brianna Soloski's Girl Seeks Place, on Amazon. The sample doesn't contain any egregious editing errors, which is more than I can say for Gentry's amateurish site (http://gentrypublishing.com/)

How did you find it? I did a few searches yesterday (on Amazon specifically, and a general Google search for the name and title) and found her Amazon Author page, and it wasn't there (another book by her was, but not that one). There were no active links on the author's website that I could see, and a search on B&N and following the link from the book's Goodreads page led to "Not Found/No Result" pages.

Perhaps there was an issue with my computer. Huh.

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

Old 11-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
fireluxlou
practical experience, FTW

fireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputation
I found this http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Seeks-Place/dp/B0077EUU70 but why is it just a sceenshot of a webpage?

Here's this http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Seeks-Pla...rl+seeks+place
fireluxlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
I found this http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Seeks-Place/dp/B0077EUU70 but why is it just a sceenshot of a webpage?

Here's this http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Seeks-Pla...rl+seeks+place

More importantly, why is there--at least on my screen--no author listed for that book (first link), on the page?

There are links to her other books in "Customers Who Viewed this Item Also Viewed," but again, her Author page only shows one book, published by Amazon Digital Services.

Curious.

ETA: Apparently the first link, the one with a webpage screenshot and no author listed, is for a Kindle Blog subscription. I don't know anything about those (except that after viewing the TOS most of the people I know decided not to put their blogs on it) but that probably explains the webpage image etc.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

No. This is for your benefit. If we offer advances we would offer less percentages for our royalties. The higher the percentage, the more money you are making in the long run!
What the phudgery?

I'm just.....wow.

Quote:
How are Royalties paid?

Royalties from books sold at Gentry are paid quarterly, via PayPal and check. If you need other options please discuss that with your editor. Royalties from other vendors, such as Fictionwise and Mobipocket, are paid to Gentry on a quarterly basis, so Gentry will pay you quarterly. Print royalties are paid biannually. Royalties will be held until you make at least $25 in royalties.
Okay, it doesn't sound like they expect you to make a lot of sales payments are held until you reach $25 and they pay quarterly.

Another alarm bell is the speed with which they say they can put out books. From their FAQs:
Quote:
Books can be released within two or three months of being contracted, or they can take up to a year. Releases also depend on other factors, such as the publishing schedule for other books in the same genre, and of course other books by the same author. We don’t like to crowd our release schedule with too much of the same thing.
How are they going to get the marketing in place and the books in stores in 3 months when stores can be ordering six months in advance?

Quote:
If Gentry accepts my manuscript will it be published as a print book as well as an ebook?

If your manuscript is around 50,000 words or above, then quite possibly yes. The details of your print options are outlined in your contract. We send books to print once they have hit certain e-book sales goals.
So, primarily e-book with some print.

Quote:
Sometimes shorter books with similar themes or genres are combined for print release. But this is a decision made later in the publishing process. If your book is too short to go to print by itself then Gentry doesn’t guarantee it will ever go to print.
Hmmm. Not sure about this.

Quote:
Our print books are all fully returnable, and can be found in Amazon, Barnes & Noble etc.
Really?

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Last edited by shaldna; 11-11-2012 at 08:09 PM.
shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
aliceshortcake
Wilde about Oscar

aliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for President
They still have only one book available, but four more are due to be released this year. The atrocious English on the website has been corrected (well, mostly!)

Another interesting change - this nonsense...

Quote:

...has been replaced by:

Quote:
No we do not.
http://gentrypublishing.com/submissi...ission-faq/#A1
Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
MartinD
New kid, abuse me!

MartinD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post
They still have only one book available, but four more are due to be released this year. The atrocious English on the website has been corrected (well, mostly!)
So what you're saying is...they're moving into production, they're getting better, and you're intrigued.

Will you be submitting soon?
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The second book supposedly comes out this Friday. Last Tw/FB activity was in June, however.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #11
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Book indeed released. But now site won't come up ....
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Their book, Creedor, which is a month old is priced at $3.99 for 130 pages--just a tad high, me thinks, if they intend on competing with other low-priced kindle e-books. I don't think it's sold one copy yet (may have)--dismal ranking. It's apparently SF and the cover doesn't jibe with it. And no reviews.

Ouch. That book is a ghost. So far.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote