Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Royale
Everyone Must Pay

Royale is on a distinguished road
I don't know my story's genre.

I want to submit my MS when it's done but I have no idea what genre it is.

My plot is basically an alternate timeline from real life and the main plot is a mix of police and political characters.

I had a google and alternate timeline fiction is generally under sci-fi according to wiki, which doesn't seem right.

The only genre I can think to submit for is fantasy but I don't have dragons or magic or a medieval setting or any of the general fantasy stuff, same as for urban fantasy I don't actually have the fantasy elements.

Help?
Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Sounds like sci-fi to me.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
idontknowwhatimdoing
Procrastinator

idontknowwhatimdoing has a spectacular aura
When you say alternate timeline, are the mechanics of the world the same as ours? Is history altered? Is there any basis in real-world history?
idontknowwhatimdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Royale
Everyone Must Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknowwhatimdoing View Post
When you say alternate timeline, are the mechanics of the world the same as ours? Is history altered? Is there any basis in real-world history?
Yes, still the same things. Aliens, dragons, zombies etc didn't happen. I just destabilised a country in 1988 and fast forwarded a decade, then started my story there.

So everything from 1988 onwards is my own timeline of economic collapse, feuds etc.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Doesn't sound SFF to me.

What's the story about? What's the exact difference from our world?

Sound more like crime fiction to me.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Science-Fantasy?

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
J.W. Alden
Fire and Blood

J.W. Alden is a shiny, shiny jewelJ.W. Alden is a shiny, shiny jewel
Sounds like Alternate History to me. Sometimes that's seen as a speculative sub-genre, but not always (depends on the elements of the story, me thinks). It's a wide enough genre that agents and editors would know what you're talking about if you listed that as your genre.

Read me:

"Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
"Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2
"Battle Lines" in Plasma Frequency Magazine
J.W. Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Royale
Everyone Must Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W. Alden View Post
Sounds like Alternate History to me. Sometimes that's seen as a speculative sub-genre, but not always (depends on the elements of the story, me thinks). It's a wide enough genre that agents and editors would know what you're talking about if you listed that as your genre.
Okay, so submissions wise. Which area do I submit for? There isn't a AF wing of agents awaiting manuscripts. Should I just submit to people asking for general fiction?

Slightly at a loss.

This feels like it's going to be a b***h to get an agent for.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Johncs
This space for rent

Johncs has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale View Post
This feels like it's going to be a b***h to get an agent for.
Alt history is a tried, true and legit part of SF, such as Man in the High Castle

Don't fret. Agents have no clue what they want until they've read it, passed on it -- and watched someone else sell it

And to answer the question proper: any agent that lists "SF" without a major qualifier. There's a awesome sticky listing SF/F agents in the SF/F forums. Might give it a go.

Nothings worse than not being flavor/genre of the week.

Good luck

*edited to add link to agents
Johncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
buzhidao
can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Depending on other elements/tone/whatever or how it's written, etc, couldn't it be mainstream or literary, rather than narrowing it down further...?

I dunno. Hard to tell from a quick description. But I have seen descriptions on agent sites that, in listing what they represent, get as general as "commercial fiction" or "literary fiction," if you feel your book does not have significant SFF/other genre elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncs View Post
Don't fret. Agents have no clue what they want until they've read it, passed on it -- and watched someone else sell it
Or, you know, they just don't represent that genre.
buzhidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
Johncs
This space for rent

Johncs has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzhidao View Post
Or, you know, they just don't represent that genre.
Or, you know, they're a real estate agent. Or secret agent. Or a double secret agent.

The Mainstream That Through the Ghetto Flows An Interview with Philip K. Dick

There's a bit halfway in or so where he talks about having to sit on two stools (SF and mainstream), and how a book might be seen different ways.
Johncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
ARoyce
Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant

ARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewelARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewel
I agree with using "alternate history" in your query to identify the genre.

Agents? Again, I agree about starting with agents who accept sci-fi/fantasy. But I also think you could target agents who represent contemporary fiction or fiction in general. (It's not before 1900...or before WWII, which are frequently used as cut-offs for historical adult fiction. YA "historical" can be more recent.)

It won't hurt you to query agents who represent contemporary, as long as your're clear in your query that the novel does alternate history.

And buzhidao is right that, perhaps based on how it is written, it could be literary, in which case you could also query agents looking for literary fiction.

Really, I think that, as long as you aren't querying agents whose interests are wildly outside of your writing (such as agents who only represent non-fiction or mainly represent romance or thrillers, etc.), you're fine. The worst they can do is say no.

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook
ARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Bushrat
Wild one

Bushrat is a shiny, shiny jewelBushrat is a shiny, shiny jewel
Sounds like a dystopia to me.
Bushrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Midian
My sarcasm got the better of me.

Midian has a spectacular auraMidian has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sounds like a dystopia to me.
This. Call it Dystopian or Spec. Fic. and you'll be fine.
I used to have a thing here that said the progress of my current WIPs. I removed them when the progress hadn't changed in two years.
Midian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
WriterJane
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

WriterJane is on a distinguished road
I agree that it's an alternate history novel. For whatever it's worth, people looking for alternate history in libraries or bookstores often look in the science fiction section. Agents that represent science fiction & fantasy authors are probably a good bet.

Sounds like an interesting book!
WriterJane is offline   Reply With Quote