Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
melindamusil
practical experience, FTW

melindamusil has a spectacular auramelindamusil has a spectacular aura
bank/financial privacy

How much privacy is automatically given to the customers of a bank in the US? I understand that Johnny Q. Public can't just walk in off the street and ask for information on a customer, but if a law enforcement agent needed information for an investigation (like addresses, how much money is in the account, who has access to the account, etc.) would they automatically need a warrant?

Are banks ever willing to cooperate and give that information without a warrant (as a good-faith/we support law enforcement/we have nothing to hide thing)?
melindamusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
RedWritingHood
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

RedWritingHood is on a distinguished road
This is something I'd like to know too. I had an account with one national banking chain. Then I learned that there was a branch of this bank on the other side of the country that had allowed people's assets and account numbers to be displayed online as part of the freedom of information act. So I removed my assets from that bank and switched my account to a small local bank. In the meantime someone complained about what that bank chain had allowed, and the practice was discontinued. I do know that each bank has a privacy statement that is given out periodically with the bank statements, but reading that stuff is like reading gobble-de-goop. So... Are we ever completely safe? No. Legalese makes sure we aren't.
RedWritingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Ketzel
Leaving on the 2:19

Ketzel leaves trails of profuse coolnessKetzel leaves trails of profuse coolnessKetzel leaves trails of profuse coolnessKetzel leaves trails of profuse coolnessKetzel leaves trails of profuse coolness
In the US, federal agencies seeking private financial information are covered by the Right to Financial Privacy Act, which says "no Government authority may have access to or obtain copies of, or the information contained in the financial records of any customer from a financial institution unless the financial records are reasonably described" and the customer either consents to the disclosure or the agency has a warrant or subpoena or other appropriate authorization to obtain the information. The government agency has to give the customer notice and an opportunity to contest the access before the financial institution discloses any information.

This doesn't cover local law enforcement, like police departments, but many states have similar laws in place that govern the access in much the same way.
Ketzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
ironmikezero

ironmikezero is a splendid one to beholdironmikezero is a splendid one to beholdironmikezero is a splendid one to behold
Officially, it'd take a search warrant or subpoena - as Ketzel mentioned... then there are hackers and all bets are off.
ironmikezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Trebor1415

Trebor1415 has a spectacular auraTrebor1415 has a spectacular aura
Don't forget though that banks are required to report transactions over $10,000 and may also report transactions of smaller amounts if they seem suspicious. And, a suspicious transaction can include multiple transaction under $10K, because then you may be doing it to avoid the reporting requirement, or just transaction that are "out of character" for that customer. (Someone who is broke suddenly makes a large deposit, etc).
Trebor1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Can't speak about the US, but my UK experience was that nothing would be revealed on demand to anyone about a customer without prior reference to Head Office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindamusil View Post
How much privacy is automatically given to the customers of a bank in the US? I understand that Johnny Q. Public can't just walk in off the street and ask for information on a customer, but if a law enforcement agent needed information for an investigation (like addresses, how much money is in the account, who has access to the account, etc.) would they automatically need a warrant?

Are banks ever willing to cooperate and give that information without a warrant (as a good-faith/we support law enforcement/we have nothing to hide thing)?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
Nekko
New motto: more purr, less hiss

Location: Do you know where the middle of nowhere is? Four miles past that
Nekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Looks like they need a search warrant. For details check this article.

In the US this means that they have to go to a judge and provide him/her with information showing they have a justifiable reason to do so. If the judge is satisfied that a crime may have been committed, then they will usually grant the warrant.

--jjdebenedictis

Me on FB
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
melindamusil

melindamusil has a spectacular auramelindamusil has a spectacular aura
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll just throw in a crooked IRS agent or bank employee!
melindamusil is offline   Reply With Quote