• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Lantern Books / Booklight Inc. / LanternMedia

Snowybunny12

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I was wondering if this publishing company seems safe. I own one of their books, but I wanted to check in with people more experienced then I first.

http://www.lanternbooks.com/

Thank you all for your time!

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
On the bright side: the website looks like it's definitely focused toward readers, with a front page that showcases books they've produced. They've been around for a while and their "about us" page clearly lists who works there and what their background is.

On the not-as-bright-side: they also offer a variety of editing services, for which they charge fees. At best that's a potential conflict of interest; at worst it means they could be funneling authors toward their editing services as a way for them to make money.

If you're interested in sending material to them, I would suggest asking them some questions about their editing service first -- do they require or recommend that potential authors use the service? If you get a publishing contract with them, will they expect you to pay for editing before they release your book?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Lantern Books
was co-founded by Gene Gollogly and Martin Rowe in 1999 and publishes general, non-fiction trade books on vegetarianism, animal advocacy, environmentalism, religion, and social justice. Lantern Books is a division of Booklight Incorporated, and has an editorial services and ebook creation division, LanternMedia. Lantern distributes a number of publishers, including Chiron Publications and the American Mental Health Foundation. Lantern is itself distributed by Steiner Books.

Yes, the editorial service is a bit worrying.

Snowybunny12

Registered
Reaction score
I must say they wrote back rather quickly,

Thank you for getting in touch. No, we don't require authors to use our editorial services to be published by Lantern, and also using our editorial services does not guarantee publication by Lantern. Sometimes we will recommend other publishing houses where the book would be a better fit.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If it's possible to keep a Chinese Wall between the part of your business that is an editorial services company and the part that is a publishing company, well, fine. I just think that if it were my business I'd guarantee that any book that we edit for a fee can't be considered for publication by us or any company we are associated with. It just feels like the potential for mischief is too great otherwise.