• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lucky Excentrique Publishing

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.luckyexcentrique.com

Someone recently sent me this link so I wanted to post it here anyway.

Their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/LuckyExcentriquePublishing

Description from facebook as their website is hard to navigate:
We are an e-book publishing company based in Portland, Oregon. We are devoted to working with talented and creative writers to bring quality e-books to the general public.

Description
Have you worked months or years on a novel, only to have countless agents and publishers reject it? Do you want marketing and publicity that most publishers do not provide? Then Lucky Excentrique Publishing is for you.

With competition stiffer than ever in the writing business, it is hard for an unrecognized author to receive attention. At Lucky Excentrique Publishing, we are devoted to working with unknown writers to produce quality e-books.

We also publish an anthology featuring short stories and poetry, Quirk of Simplicity. All profits go to charity.

I found out they use printing services of:
http://www.magcloud.com/

And are run by a teenager from this group:
http://figment.com/groups/7328-Lucky-Excentrique-Publishing

I'm guessing one to avoid then?

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Ok well this is one definitely to be wary of

http://figment.com/topics/203524-Have-you-ever-wanted-to-publish-your-novel-

Oregon. We have no employees, currently, since it's a small independent company. And as for offices, right here :)
Yes, advances are used by traditional publishers, but we like to think our writers aren't in it for the money. Obviously, none of them can make a living off of this, but this is directed towards teens who just want to get their words out there.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Her profile says she is thirteen. So I foresee a problem with creating binding contracts, amongst other things.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible this is a school project and not meant to be an actual publisher?

No I don't think so. She says in one of her groups she's in the process of getting the company registered in Oregon and she's advertising for novel submissions and creating an anthology.

This reminds me of those teen web hosts that came out a few years ago.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty smart for a 13-year-old, playing on the basic fears of n00bs:

Have you worked months or years on a novel, only to have countless agents and publishers reject it? Do you want marketing and publicity that most publishers do not provide? Then Lucky Excentrique Publishing is for you.

With competition stiffer than ever in the writing business, it is hard for an unrecognized author to receive attention. At Lucky Excentrique Publishing, we are devoted to working with unknown writers to produce quality e-books.

We also publish an anthology featuring short stories and poetry, Quirk of Simplicity. All profits go to charity.
BEWARE: serious lime green ahead.

Troubling discussion in the Figment link above. Somebody asked some hard questions and the responses became typically petulant before the thread was closed.

Last edited:

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Ben, I think it's a bit unfair to call the responses in the Figment link petulant (or maybe I'm just hardened by the regular BRBC cries of "Karma", "You only say that because you're all anonymous", "Publishers talk, you know" and "Rather than speculating, why don't you ask?").

This has disaster written all over it. If she, or her parents, or whoever is signing the documents are reading this, please, for the love of everything, make it clear on your website that this is a "by teens, for teens" operation which should not be confused with a "proper" publishing house (ie, one which pays my gas bill).

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
As a professional enterprise - this has disaster written all over

But I'm still impressed if there is a 13 year old kid behind it.

This will fail - but as long as she learns a few things then she could be a force to be reckoned with in a decade's time.

If you stop thinking about it as a publishing company and start thinking of it as a good old fashioned teenage-run zine (but with books instead) - then it sounds like a laudable enterprise.

Good on 'em.

Mac
(PS: Who ran across an old copy of 'The Mars Archaeological Society' recently.. Ahh .. Those were the days.)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
As a professional enterprise - this has disaster written all over

But I'm still impressed if there is a 13 year old kid behind it.

This will fail - but as long as she learns a few things then she could be a force to be reckoned with in a decade's time.

If you stop thinking about it as a publishing company and start thinking of it as a good old fashioned teenage-run zine (but with books instead) - then it sounds like a laudable enterprise.

Good on 'em.

While her enterprisingness is undeniably laudable, I don't think it's right to commend her (and/or whoever is advising her). When the whole thing goes down in flames, as it inevitably will, it will take down the rights and dreams of other people with it.

The failure of a publisher hurts more than just the principal(s) of the company. It hurts writers. Which is what this forum at AW is all about: helping writers to get informed about publishers so they can make the best possible decisions about their work.

As for me, I can't commend someone whose business risk means hurting other people.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is a good case in point for illustrating that it is unwise to judge a publisher by first impressions of the website.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I think she may get bored of this in 6 months lol. And I agree with you about publisher not being an entry level position.

I noticed she compares business to http://www.pubslush.com/.