Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking > AW Blog Reviews
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Nathaniel Bell
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Nathaniel Bell is on a distinguished road
I'm blogging. Opinions please?

After a tortuous learning curve I got the thing working.

I'm still tweaking, but it's up. The idea of course is to build brand recognition and sell my new novel.

Your valued opinions please on my layout, content, what you would do different, functionality, pizazz, whatever. Every step is an experiment.

http://anthonyfagiani.com

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Nathaniel Bell; 05-10-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Nathaniel Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
mephet

mephet is on a distinguished road
The first thing that I noticed was that your header-thingy (it's called a <header> in HTML, but I'm not sure what to call it here) is empty. I'm talking about the little bar that appears for your site on the top of the browser window if you've got multiple tabs open (Firefox). Sites will usually have their name in there, but you only have a "-". Also, at the bottom of the page, the twitter widget is giving me a fatal error.
But that's all boring technical stuff As for the blog itself: looks good! The visual image is clean and clear. Personally not a huge fan of the fonts in the header (using the word to mean the top image now ), but that's just a matter of personal taste. A few more thoughts on the visuals:
- Is the header's background colour supposed to be a slightly different white than the site's background?
- Have you thought of having the links in the same red that you use in your header image? It might tie the site together more.
- The ad under "Read Bloodlines of Cain" is, well... an ad, meaning I can't see it by default (I use adblock). Maybe you could add some text describing your novel and linking to it below the amazon widget? This way those that have blocked ads will still be able to get your novel.
Other than that, your blog looks good! I haven't been able to really dig into the articles yet (brains are mushy from being sick ), but I'll check them out later.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
randi.lee
More cowbell!

randi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewelrandi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewel
I wanted to follow you but couldn't find a place to join your site or follow via e-mail. I'd add a widget in there somewhere that allows your readers to recieve updates when you post something new- or if there is one, make it easier to find.

Please try not to take me too seriously. What I've posted above is most likely in jest.

Snap! A Quite Quick Collection now available on Amazon.
randi.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Nathaniel Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephet View Post
The first thing that I noticed was that your header-thingy (it's called a <header> in HTML, but I'm not sure what to call it here) is empty. I'm talking about the little bar that appears for your site on the top of the browser window if you've got multiple tabs open (Firefox). Sites will usually have their name in there, but you only have a "-". Also, at the bottom of the page, the twitter widget is giving me a fatal error.
But that's all boring technical stuff As for the blog itself: looks good! The visual image is clean and clear. Personally not a huge fan of the fonts in the header (using the word to mean the top image now ), but that's just a matter of personal taste. A few more thoughts on the visuals:
- Is the header's background colour supposed to be a slightly different white than the site's background?
- Have you thought of having the links in the same red that you use in your header image? It might tie the site together more.
- The ad under "Read Bloodlines of Cain" is, well... an ad, meaning I can't see it by default (I use adblock). Maybe you could add some text describing your novel and linking to it below the amazon widget? This way those that have blocked ads will still be able to get your novel.
Other than that, your blog looks good! I haven't been able to really dig into the articles yet (brains are mushy from being sick ), but I'll check them out later.
Thanks mephet, Your suggestions are being implemented. These are needed tweaks.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Nathaniel Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by randi.lee View Post
I wanted to follow you but couldn't find a place to join your site or follow via e-mail. I'd add a widget in there somewhere that allows your readers to recieve updates when you post something new- or if there is one, make it easier to find.
Yup. You're right and I'm wrong. Do you know of a Youtube that shows how to configure RSS?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm sure that there is a Wordpress plug-in you can use for people to follow via e-mail and such, or there's Feedblitz - which should have a step-by-step walkthrough somewhere. It's been a while since I added a feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote