Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #2001
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Back from the doc office. She has apparently given up the idea that my body conforms to any type of normal, and as long as my levels are pseudo-normal and I'm feeling good, she's gonna let me be. (Thank gods!) Don't have to go back for a year.

Also, The Editor was talking about reading a nice little Asian fantasy called Silver Phoenix on Twitter today, so I had to throw my two cents in that she had made a fine choice.
JJD4: 72,030/80,000
Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #2002
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstar View Post
Dragon, (stealing from Maryn), part of the non-fur crowd who thinks fur belongs on her dogs, not her men - unless of course he's really hot and then she could maybe overlook it
+1 Little hair = okay. Man-looks-like-ape = not okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaleb View Post
agreed with this statement here. I was born 83 and knew who magnum P.I. was, and macgyver (which my parents banned me from watching) and knight rider, and all the other greatly terrible 80s movies.
+1. I'm 1984, which I always thought was cool. Thank you Orwell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
I've reached the point where I dress how I like, listen to music I like, watch and read what I like, and if the rest of the world disapproves, they can suck it, because I don't give a crap anymore. It's my life and I worked my ass off to get here.

So there.
Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovia View Post
That's the one thing that bothers me about losing weight now--chubby faces look younger. I'm hoping if I do it steadily enough, I won't end up constantly wearing a hella-tight ponytail as a cheap face-lift.
Yup. That's the one thing about having a chubby round face. I'm 28 and I STILL get carded for EVERYTHING. Even to buy lotto tickets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
When I'm typing, on my computer, y'know... Can I really, really... when I type the end of a sentence, am I really allowed to put ONLY ONE SPACE after the period now? Is this really true in the modern world? I mean, is this how the young people do it? Is this what young magazine editors are expecting me to do?

I'm so embarrassed.
Yes. Yes, it is true. One space only. Enjoy it!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #2003
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kris, I'm older than you and I haven't used double spaces for 20 years now!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #2004
CalebJMalcom
And behold... A seed!

CalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
LMAO!

Okay, wait. I'm going to take advantage of the fact that we have so many young whippersnappers in here!

No, not like THAT!

But here is my question. When I'm typing, on my computer, y'know... Can I really, really... when I type the end of a sentence, am I really allowed to put ONLY ONE SPACE after the period now? Is this really true in the modern world? I mean, is this how the young people do it? Is this what young magazine editors are expecting me to do?

I'm so embarrassed.
Taking advantage? *steps in line*

Actually it is the norm now for only one space after a period. I am still guilty of the two spacer because I went to a backwater country school and the computer classes were taught by a dirty old man that was hell bent on the two space rule and would count off a lot on any assignment if you even missed one of those extra spaces. I'm trying really really hard of breaking myself of it but it's difficult.

I have a +2 resistance to death but a -5 resistance to injury.

Writerly Blog
Tumblr Blog
Facebook
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #2005
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kris -I still use double spaces, and I assume if my editor doesn't like it, she changes it without mentioning it, 'cause I've never been called on it.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #2006
Kris
like motherf&cking Tolstoy

Kris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sheesh. I do it when I can remember -- and I did first hear of it a LONG time ago -- but I have trouble breaking the habit! I learned to type on an actual typewriter hahahah.
*hides in shame*

ETA: and Tas-- one reason I'm still unsure about it is that writing has been the MAIN component of ALL of my jobs since about 2001. And no has mentioned the one-space thing to me since about 1996! If it was a big deal, wouldn't people mercilessly shame me into stopping doing it?
My drawings on Etsy

Last edited by Kris; 05-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #2007
Calla Lily
Formerly known as callalily61
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kris, that's not an "old" question; it's a typesetting question. Yes, one space after periods, always, forever, no exceptions or you get sent to the paddling stool.

I started typesetting in the mid 1980s. That's where I relearned the spaces-after-period thing.

See? You're young again!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #2008
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Sheesh. I do it when I can remember -- and I did first hear of it a LONG time ago -- but I have trouble breaking the habit! I learned to type on an actual typewriter hahahah.
*hides in shame*
Funny enough. I had typing classes in Junior High. The machines were these huge, heavy old typewriters that you had to slam down the keys to get to work right. I ended up breaking two keyboards because I got into the habit of typing so heavy.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #2009
JBuck
practical experience, FTW

JBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admiration
I learned on a typewriter as well.
Makes me feel all romantic and writerly.
We only used one space, though.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #2010
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I learned on a manual typewriter too.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #2011
JBuck

JBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admiration
I learned at a 'business school' along with manual bookkeeping.
Ha, that sounds so old fashioned now.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #2012
CalebJMalcom
And behold... A seed!

CalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Totally had a moment of "I'm really weird" last night. Target had some of the Amy's organic frozen pizzas on sale but only had cheese pizza. So I bought a couple took them home harvested some lamb's quarter greens, amaranth greens, and day lily flower buds and scattered those on top and baked it. Pulled it out and I'm staring at it going "Caleb this isn't normal" shrugged it off and ate it and loved it.

Writerly Blog
Tumblr Blog
Facebook
Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #2013
phoenix
rising from the ashes

phoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I still do two spaces. None of my editors have ever mentioned it.

Homemade chocolate oatmeal raisin cookies are a healthy alternative to breakfast and lunch, right? Fiber, fruit, chocoloate (chocolate is a good thing in any form...) washed down with some green tea it is a complete meal?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #2014
Kris
like motherf&cking Tolstoy

Kris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKris is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
Kris, that's not an "old" question; it's a typesetting question. Yes, one space after periods, always, forever, no exceptions or you get sent to the paddling stool.
Oh, I get sent to the paddling stool? Oh, never mind then!!! *eyebrows*

ETA: My typing teacher was named Mrs. Poulos. I really want to use that name in something someday.
My drawings on Etsy
Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #2015
xiaotien
bedazzled /bootay shaker!!

xiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
mornin' puglets!

tas, thank you for the SP shoutout
on twitter! <3 /bootay shake!

kris, alas, yes. i held out through two
novels, but wrote current unsold with only
a single space behind periods. i thought it
didn't matter but my copy editor was simply
too polite to tell me. when i said he could be
thankful i was only using one period on thanksgiving
weekend, he was thankful.

i think it's easier for them to format with only
one space behind.

i had been only doing one space behind
in my 10 years online, so it's not THAT huge
of a leap for me.

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #2016
vfury
Hearts the furrily challenged.

vfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I learned on a typewriter, too and was taught two spaces in my computer classes at school (late 90s; 1985 baby here).

Didn't learn it was one space until I stumbled across it online a few years ago. Took ages to break the habit!

(I miss that typewriter...)

YA dysfunctional werewolves: 83k, back in the game
YA clockpunk Alice: revising
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #2017
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

I learned on an old Brother typewriter of my mother's, which turned out to be the same machine they taught us on when I got to high school (early 90s). The teacher was very disturbed when I started taking the machine apart to fix some things.

At that time, they were still teaching two spaces.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #2018
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You could just set up a macro to convert all double spaces after periods to single spaces. Then all you ever have to do is hit a button. (Also good for applying standard manuscript formatting.) Or a simple search and replace: ". " with ". ". Or tell autoformat to fix it whenever you type it.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #2019
xiaotien

xiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
so you know during my mexico retreat?
i was STUNNED and AMAZED by all
the authors who had no idea how to type
properly!

haha!

i took typing (very happily too!) in 9th
grade and author friends were using two fingers.
they were fast, yes, but it was all a little crazy.

no offense to puglets who type crazy. =)

i guess we just compensate if we never
learned properly?

i was also madly in love with a boy named
tommy in typing class. certain he didn't know
my name or that i existed. we had no classes
together except for typing.

*sighs wistfully* haha

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #2020
sunna

sunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I learned on an IBM PS/2 with Word 4.0 for DOS. I believe I used one space until college, when I was told that was wrong. I was taught two spaces my freshman year of college, and then they went to one space my junior year... in English and S&T, that is.

AAA, APSA, APA and gods only know what else stayed firmly at two-spaces. It was fairly confusing, having half the rules change for every paper I wrote.

It's nice not to have to worry about that any more.

Xiao, I am a crazy-typer. I know I was forced to take some sort of typing class when I was 12, but I was way more interested in boys. I can still do about 55-65 wpm, though, so I don't worry about it.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #2021
xiaotien

that is speedy!

at my fastest--when i was wooing
or being wooed on irc with hub, i neared
100 wpm--now i think i'm lucky if i'm
around your pace.

one author friend POUNDED the keyboard
tho. haha! that was crazy. it was just
very interesting to see how other writers
worked.

GOOD NEWS!

i sold another painting! yippeee!

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #2022
CalebJMalcom
And behold... A seed!

I learned to type in 6th grade. The computer lab teacher's name was Mr. Cravens he would always assign the early blooming girls on the corners and hover over them when they were typing. Went most endowed on the corners and down graded and the middle of the rows were the guys.

Writerly Blog
Tumblr Blog
Facebook
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #2023
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Yay, X-cin!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #2024
vfury
Hearts the furrily challenged.

vfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I type crazy, too!

Dys thought it was hilarious when she watched me type.

YA dysfunctional werewolves: 83k, back in the game
YA clockpunk Alice: revising
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #2025
raburrell
Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee

raburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I made the two-spaces-to-one switch while writing the last manuscript. (Which I'm told will go on sub a month from today, btw)

Oh, and age-wise, I'm twenty eighteen :P
Closed Thread