Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #176
lorna_w
grump

lorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputation
1550. Made myself quit because I know it's not good for me to work much more than this at a time. Research is paying off. Looking forward to tomorrow's writing, a flirtation scene for my only female POV character.

I agree, onesecondglance, dialog is fun! Keep on writin' everyone.

New novel 85,000/85,000.

I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning. - Peter de Vries
lorna_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #177
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
1799 words for me yesterday! Not the greatest words ever to grace the screen, but they're words and they're mine!

Have to keep reminding myself that this is a 1st draft, it doesn't have to be perfect. I just need to get the story roughed out and get to know my characters. It's scary to think that this is probably the 'easy' part of the book. *gulp*
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #178
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Egads Muse! I've always found the first draft to be the hardest words!

I'm lucky if I can get 1000 words on days where I'm writing first drafts.

Speaking of writing, nothing today yet.

But I just woke up 90 minutes ago and will be starting in a few. And yes, it is 4pm.

Wanna make sumpthin' of it?

Nevermind.

Time to write...
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #179
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished off my edit and send it to the agent. *Gulp*

I'm probably far more nervous about this than I should be.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #180
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
, kaitie. Fingers crossed for you.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #181
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
286 for me today. Spent a lot of time fussing over the scene, tearing out, putting back in, and fretting. ::sigh:: I just can't get the confidence to let it flow, you know?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #182
kaitie

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*HUGS* Jude. I so know how that feels. Do something nice for yourself. You're awesome. It'll come back.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #183
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At last!!! Brilliant, brilliant morning - only 318 words, but I got Luke's voice for the first time, I know who he is and he's not quite as I'd imagined because I'd only seen the professional side of him. He's going to be wonderful to write because he's complex and compromised but he wants to be good.

I'm so relieved to hear him clearly! That means I can go back over the 6,000 words I have so far and revise and tighten - and I can spend all day tomorrow on it. And serendipitiously, I'm at the first plot point, so it will be a good chunk to get under my belt by the end of the week.

*sigh* Thank Heavens!

Katie, good luck, Doc, I hope you're writing well, Jude - remember it suddenly clicks and things work again. Just keep your butt in the chair. Or, you know, walk away for a while. Whatever. I've heard chocolate can be good...
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #184
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Good luck Kaitie!

I'm still plotting, working on the new version which, touch wood, seems to be working. Planning on doing a little later today to give myself a break from building furniture (in anticipation of my Norwegian friends coming to stay next week), and also bought myself a new toy - little Asus laptop, thin as a Macbook Air but on Windows, and its keyboard is fine for touch typing (which I don't get with Macbooks). Hoping it'll allow me to write in all my little places I like.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #185
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
805 words of character development for the FMC's sidekick this morning; now it's time for lunch.

I would offer you a hug, Jude, but after the spider thing and the McConaughey incident I'm not sure you'd accept...

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #186
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Hee hee. I'd gladly take a hug.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #187
mccardey

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Hee hee. I'd gladly take a hug.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #188
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #189
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
Hugs are always good.

Good luck kaitie!

mccardey -- finding that voice is often a turning point. When I can hear a character talking as himself or herself, I feel more confident.

Did 900 words and lost my way, went back and then wrote a single paragraph that puts everything else in the shade. For the first time I felt I was there in the scene and that the narrative was believable.
Unsure what to do next so I am opening a jar of biscuits.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #190
BfloGal
Lost in a plot hole

BfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to behold
1066 words today, with a bunch of research thrown in for good measure.
For Whom the Bluebell Tolls (Pre-order, coming 1/06/15)
BfloGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #191
wonderactivist
practical experience, FTW

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Talked to an editor yesterday and felt truly inspired, but I had to go to work. By the time I got home I was exhausted. Maybe too exhausted to fight my muse? Loads of words on two projects. Maybe 2100 total.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #192
lorna_w
grump

lorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputation
800+ words last night, a scene out of order, but I didn't want to lose what was in my head. 600+ today this morning, lunchtime session of another 1000+ Since tomorrow is major errand day, I doubt I'll get much new written tomorrow, or maybe will go over the last 6000 words and fiddle a bit if I'm in the mood.

I'm over the original month's goal I set, for I thought research would take more time before writing, but I'm doing it, efficiently, while writing. (This is what comes of living largely off-line for seven months at a stretch; I forget how handy having the browser open in the background can be.)

New novel 85,000/85,000.

I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning. - Peter de Vries

Last edited by lorna_w; 05-18-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #193
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

Another 1,048 words, although this lot came a little harder than this mornings. That still gives me 1,866 for the day though, which is waay ahead of target.

Hugs and cookies all round!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #194
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
I had the afternoon off work today, and my aim was to use it writing. I thought if I had 3-4 solid hours, I might get to the end of draft 1.

It was hard work. Writing those words was like pulling teeth. Did I get to the end? Not quite. The Big Bad is defeated, but there needs to be a 'mop-up' chapter or two.

However, I've written 4,123 words today and I'm going to leave it there because I'm beat. The final chapter will have to come later.

And there will have to be a lot of revising in draft 2, because much of what I've written is rubbish...

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #195
kaitie

Holy cow, Shara! Way to write.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #196
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you!

I often say if I didn't have to go to the EDJ I'd be such a prolific writer, churning out 10,000 words a day at least!

Sadly, I don't get to be a full time writer. At least not yet.

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #197
lorna_w
grump

Much applause to everyone doing this while working a straight job and or raising a family. I'm impressed!

New novel 85,000/85,000.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #198
mccardey

Well done, everyone - seems like we're on a bit of roll here at MTS! Glance - well done on the character work. It's the part I love most - when I'm reading as well

I'm about to start, and a wee bit nervous in case a read-through shows me problems I didn't see yesterday. Not expecting a wordcount today, because I can't bear this unrevising thing - it's like leaving a messy bedroom behind or something. So Fridays are going to be my revise-and-tighten day, and the everything else is Just-Sit-Down-And-Write-It Day.

That sounds fair, doesn't it?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #199
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorna_w View Post
Much applause to everyone doing this while working a straight job and or raising a family. I'm impressed!
I'm not sure my boss will be if he finds out!

Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #200
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator