Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #226
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Let's see, I wrote 766 words between yesterday and the day before.

Today, I put in the minimum at 510.

I slipped the past 4-5 days, but there is always a saddle to get back into.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #227
lorna_w
grump

lorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputation
for you, Doc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fUhW...eature=related

New novel 85,000/85,000.

I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning. - Peter de Vries
lorna_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #228
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I futzed and puttered and pulled and rewrote for a while. Every time I started to make more progress, the kids needed me. I give up for the day.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #229
Logan!
practical experience, FTW

Logan! is on a distinguished road
A thousand words yesterday, which brought me over the 100K mark. I never thought I'd make it that far given by minimalist prose, but there is a shitload of subplot-y stuff in the beginning that needs cut anyway.
Logan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #230
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Congrats, Logan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
I futzed and puttered and pulled and rewrote for a while. Every time I started to make more progress, the kids needed me. I give up for the day.
So sorry you had a rough day. Hope you had some fun with the kids. Look on the bright side, I haven't played in years! Get some rest, girl. We'll see you tomorrow morning before the kids get up. (That was my drill sergeant talking. You can ignore him--or not.)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #231
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
Got up early and wrote 1 600 words. Unfortunately I've written myself into another dead end.

Very tempted to just leave the damn story alone and just write something new -- anything different -- for the day.

mccardey I hope you have a better day today.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #232
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bad luck, Jude Let's hope tomorrow is better.

Thanks Marya - hope you're better now?

I woke very late - we had work come in from Australia that needed doing overnight - so I'm starting writing at 10:00. Which is just about now.

Will Not Revise. Will just go on and pile up another 1,000 words. Revising is Friday's task.

Wish me luck! I'll be back to report.

Good luck everyone - hope the distractions are few and the words flow like flowing stuff.

ETA: Well done, Logan and Doc!

ETA (again): It's two hours later and I'm having such a wonderful time You know how I said I wasn't going to revise? Well - I revised. Took 467 words down to 238, but they're really and truly my mc in full character mode. And he's funny! I wasn't sure if he was going to be, but he really is. Also, sweet. So after lunch I'll do two hours of not revising - just 1000 words.

No, really - I will.

Last edited by mccardey; 05-21-2012 at 04:05 PM.
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #233
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
Congrats, Logan!

So sorry you had a rough day. Hope you had some fun with the kids. Look on the bright side, I haven't played in years! Get some rest, girl. We'll see you tomorrow morning before the kids get up. (That was my drill sergeant talking. You can ignore him--or not.)
I accidentally slept in. Late wild night with the small group friends. Er... late, and lots of laughs, anyway. I'll try later...
Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #234
knightrunnermat

knightrunnermat is well-respected
I had 935 words written yesterday on a short story I wanted to work on. I didn't write anything on my novel, which makes me feel like I didn't get enough done. I really want to just crank this thing out and start editing it; sometimes I get frustrated with just how long the novel writing process really is.

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #235
lorna_w
grump

lorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputation
Oh, it really is, knightrunnermat. Marya, what's the dead end? Anything you can talk out? Feel free to post or pm me, if it'll help. Maybe it's an opportunity rather than a dead end. mccardey, it's almost Friday. Everyone else, best of writing.

About to get to the day's words, Edit: 1330 of them.

After I finish today, I'm standing at a bit of a crevasse. I realized in the middle of the night I need a subplot for one character. Problem is, he's a real loner. Loners don't generate subplots automatically. So the worst thing that could happen to him would be to be stuck in a small room with some chatty person? Hmmm.

Also, I also have the sense that I need 5-8000 words after today's finishing of Ch. 12 before I start exploding stuff and killing people for the following 50,000 words. (Structurally, the book is sorta all climax. But I won't think too hard on that right now. LALALALALALA) I had hoped this blank spot would fill in as I approached it, but it hasn't, so tomorrow, I'll either take just one day to brainstorm or just skip ahead.

New novel 85,000/85,000.

I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning. - Peter de Vries

Last edited by lorna_w; 05-21-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added wordcount
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #236
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote nothing. But I'm thinking, and there will be writing later.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #237
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #238
knightrunnermat

knightrunnermat is well-respected
It's a bit premature to stop writing for the day, but I had to take a break since that's what I've been doing all morning. I'm pretty excited, actually. I had come to a standstill with my novel (about 25K words) so I started working on a short story to flesh out another idea I had. Somehow, characters from my novel started showing up in the short story. I realized that they were part of the same story, just different threads that came together at the end.

It's always amazing when something like this happens to me. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I always get really excited. That's why I love writing. Well, one of the reasons.

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #239
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
ETA (again): It's two hours later and I'm having such a wonderful time You know how I said I wasn't going to revise? Well - I revised. Took 467 words down to 238, but they're really and truly my mc in full character mode. And he's funny! I wasn't sure if he was going to be, but he really is. Also, sweet. So after lunch I'll do two hours of not revising - just 1000 words.
You just can't help yourself, can you?

726 words yesterday. Managed to firm up a couple of scenes, although they might need spiced up later. I think I'm in danger of having a saggy middle. (In more ways than one.)

*Hands out chocolate*

Good luck with the wordage everyone.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #240
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Awesome wordage everyone. Notice how you can add "age" to a lot of things these days without anyone caring? Careage for grammarage (grammage?) has certainly decreased. And my cat's meowage has increased.

Dragged another 233 out just now, having managed 731 earlier, which brings my total for the day to 964. If I can manage another *does quick calculation* 860 odd tomorrow then I can go on holiday having met my May target.

I have a bad feeling about this...

Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #241
BfloGal
Lost in a plot hole

BfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to behold
727 words today, amid a bunch of research on the Virginia bail/bond system, during which I found out a lot of stuff--just not what I was looking for.

But I did pass the 20k mark.
For Whom the Bluebell Tolls (Pre-order, coming 1/06/15)
BfloGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 AM   #242
lorna_w
grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfloGal View Post

But I did pass the 20k mark.

Crucial point!

New novel 85,000/85,000.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #243
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
1905 today.

This makes up for my slippage over the past few days. I am back to averaging more than 500 words/day.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #244
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
This makes up for my slippage over the past few days.
Slippage, eh? Excellent usage of an "age", Doc!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #245
mrsvalkyrie
Hounds of Justice

mrsvalkyrie has a spectacular aura
Way to go, guys! And those of you who might be discouraged by not writing more, remember it's quality, not quantity. Hehe.

Me, I haven't done much today. Working on the planning, actually. Do outlines count? Lol. But I'm about to get it to it now. Hoping to knock out 1,000 words before the night is over.

The Perfect Soldier - Complete. Editing.

Afterlife Redemption (working title; formerly Realm of Fear): 47,500/80,000 -- ON HOLD
mrsvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #246
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
I wrote about 600 earlier, but now I'm too pooped to type more.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #247
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hooray, Doc!!

I have house-guests coming to stay on Thursday, so today and tomorrow will be the last days I get to finalise Part One and leave it in a nice, safe spot. If all goes well, I should have about 9,000 words all revised and strong enough to stay on their own for a week.

Scarey thought, though - leaving them. But I think at the very least I can have a quick read of them at night when everyone's in bed.

So today - don't want no wordage, just want to get the prologue (yes, I do prologues. So what? ) and Chapter One all tucked up. Wish me luck! If you see me here before I'm done, boot me out or I'll have to self ban.

Have a productive day, you lot. Cause mayhem!

ETA: It just occurs to me - ironically, are we the best-behaved group on the boards? Have any of us ever been time-out-ed? I don't think we have... In fact it's quite possible that we're so busy causing mayhem that we've never even been issued a nasty-gram!

huh. Someone should study that.

I'm off. Have fun!

Last edited by mccardey; 05-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #248
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
I also have houseguests coming on Thursday (by weird coincidence) so am not expecting much by way of words over the next few days. Haven't had much over the last few days either thanks to having to prepare the house and build new furniture - never had guests before and my house was a bit of a bachelorette pad.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #249
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
mccardey, good going!

lorna w, thanks so much for the kind suggestion -- I might PM you if I stay stuck. One basic problem is that I am transitioning from working with non-fiction, writing critical reviews and copy editing, to a whole new way of writing and I can't seem to adjust.

Nothing written as yet today but the hot-water cylinder burst and flooded the kitchen. Got in the electrician/plumber and he has fixed the problem and replaced the cylinder very fast (this kind of task usually takes a month or so out here) so I have no excuse not to write my 500 words this afternoon.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #250
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
ETA: It just occurs to me - ironically, are we the best-behaved group on the boards? Have any of us ever been time-out-ed? I don't think we have... In fact it's quite possible that we're so busy causing mayhem that we've never even been issued a nasty-gram!
It's a great group of people, for sure. Slapped hands are rare in MTS. (It does happen, just not very often.)