Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: To be introverted or not to be...that is the question.
I consider myself introverted. 109 68.55%
I consider myself extroverted. 20 12.58%
I consider myself ambiverted...or something else--here, I'll post about it. 30 18.87%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #101
Scott Kaelen
Flogging a World of Dead Horses

Scott Kaelen has a spectacular aura
I think that all good writers in this world are sick and tired of being told that all good writers in this world are fed up with being told that all good writers in this world are fed up with being sick and tired of being introverted. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am.
(Couldn't resist)
Scott Kaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #102
LeeCap
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

LeeCap is on a distinguished road
I would consider myself extroverted.

All of my writing stem from real life experiences I've had. For me, writing is the time that i spend introverted. I write because it's almost therapeutic, a way for me to process everything i have experienced in others, and my self, in any given day.
LeeCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #103
dianeP
practical experience, FTW

dianeP has a spectacular aura
[QUOTE=CaroGirl;7200220]That said, I'm an introvert, in the sense that I'm drained rather than energized by social gatherings and need time alone to recharge my batteries.

QUOTE]

That's exactly how I feel... drained.

It took me a long time to accept my introvertedness. Somehow I always felt I had to be social... you know, the whole "people who need people are the luckiest..."

Is it just me, or introvertedness, being solitary is kind of frowned upon?
dianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #104
KRHolbrook
is not a My Little Pony

KRHolbrook is on a distinguished road
I'm an introvert writer. I have a fear of going around people I don't know and don't often speak up unless I'm talked to personally. I can be vocal online, however when it comes to real life circumstances, I clam up and keep to myself.

I've got a friend from high school who writes as well and she's the same way.

But it all depends on the person. Writers I think become introverts when they're writing to become free from distractions around them.
KRHolbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #105
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Extroverted. At times, obnoxiously so. But it's been cyclic. When I was young, before my parents bought their house, we lived in an apartment when we first moved to Austin. I was about 4. I'd hang out by the pool with all the adults, and introduce everyone to everyone else. My mom called me "the social director."

I was fine all through junior high. In high school, I was dealing with the death of my father and changing schools just before 11th grade. Plus a mother who was dating a man who had not yet divorced his wife, and I was ashamed of our "back street family" status. I was made fun of for various reasons, and didn't even have a date all through the new HS.

When I got to college, I was still that way. I was NEVER without a book in my hand, especially when I went to the cafeteria because it meant I never had to talk to anyone if I didn't want to.

After the breakup with my first boyfriend, I pretty much said "#$%^ it" to everyone and life in general, and decided I was going to do whatever I wanted to do, and screw anyone who told me I couldn't. I have one of those personalities that always gets elected "leader" in group projects. Mostly because without even meaning to, I naturally take charge (all the shy people would refuse to do anything, and I never wanted to get an F).

I was finally back to being the fun kid I used to be. Basically, it's been pretty great. People always tell me how much fun I am, so I guess it's working.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #106
Cassidy
writing for kids and teens

Cassidy has a spectacular auraCassidy has a spectacular aura
Introvert here. Most of my writer friends are introverts too, but that may say more about who I hang out than it does about writers in general...
Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #107
Raventongue
little orphan anarchist

Raventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm very extroverted. So much so that I get a little nervous around very introverted people. Some deeply buried childish part of me thinks, "Oh noes! They don't like people! But I'm a person..." and I'm paranoid that they'll become hostile if I don't leave soon enough.

If I go too long without meaningful social interaction, I have less energy, my memory isn't as sharp, I get more prone to being overstressed and eventually all my joints begin to physically ache. That said, as far as extroverts go I'm very reserved- there are only two people in the world allowed to hug me because I consider it such a meaningful act. I have a very different idea of how I should treat my best friend than I do of how I should treat other friends, and a very different idea of how I should treat those than of how I should treat more casual acquaintances.

Two of my good friends are introverts and there's a noticeable difference in how close I am to them emotionally compared to my very extroverted best friend. I seem to assume, probably incorrectly, that most introverts have several things ahead of other people on their priority list and so I avoid getting too attached in fear of forming one-sided connections.
Raventongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #108
dianeP

dianeP has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raventongue View Post
I seem to assume, probably incorrectly, that most introverts have several things ahead of other people on their priority list and so I avoid getting too attached in fear of forming one-sided connections.
In my case you wouldn't be that incorrect. Of course there are people who are important to me and take priority in my life, but in general, chances are I'd rather be doing anything other then being with someone.
dianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #109
buzhidao
can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Is it just me, or introvertedness, being solitary is kind of frowned upon?
Well, I can see how people would take it the wrong way. If I get home from work, and I'm physically exhausted from doing the work and mentally exhausted from being around people all day, I'm going to get pissy if somebody else then jumps on me at the door and insists on hearing all about my boring frustrating day that I just want to forget about. I will get away from them as soon as possible, and probably in a manner as cranky and bitchy as a tired petulant child. And I will stay away from everyone else, too, until I feel rested, which is Hardly Ever...and that adds up to a lot of avoidance.

Which is not about the other people, at all, but that's how they see it. They think you dislike them or hate them or are generally a grumpy bitchy crankypants. It's hard to explain that you're just tired as fuck and need to be alone for a while. Because an extrovert is energized by other people and doesn't really understand how being around other people just...sucks life out of you. Even if you like/love them. I dunno. Hard to explain.
buzhidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #110
SomethingOrOther
In Time-Out For My Sins

Location: Chomping down on the tender hineyflesh of humans. >=)
SomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruna View Post
As I grew older, some people put this down to snobbery, but it wasn't.
I get this a ton, lol, probably because I look like an antithesis of the sort of person who'd ever be shy in social situations.
SomethingOrOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #111
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was told I was introverted today, so I guess so.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #112
SomethingOrOther
In Time-Out For My Sins

Location: Chomping down on the tender hineyflesh of humans. >=)
SomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudge
kuwi, you're an Emperor penguin. (Saying this so you'll know how to respond when someone starts the "Are most writers Emperor penguins?" thread.)
SomethingOrOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #113
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingOrOther View Post
kuwi, you're an Emperor penguin.
Lots of times, I feel like a penguin.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #114
Mharvey
Liker Of Happy Things

Mharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolness
I think most writers, including myself, are introverts - I mean, ideally, you spend 2-4 hours a day in your own mind, writing/editing your writing. That's a whole lot of conscious time to spend in your own head.

I think being introverted is a professional hazard.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #115
CalebJMalcom
And behold... A seed!

CalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm totally an extrovert, but at the same time my mind is constantly churning churning churning away. So while I could be out doing while and crazy or spontaneous things my mind is always working away on stories or what not.

I have a +2 resistance to death but a -5 resistance to injury.

Writerly Blog
Tumblr Blog
Facebook
CalebJMalcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #116
Raventongue
little orphan anarchist

Raventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaleb View Post
I'm totally an extrovert, but at the same time my mind is constantly churning churning churning away. So while I could be out doing while and crazy or spontaneous things my mind is always working away on stories or what not.
Yes, this! I get most of my story ideas in the middle of parties and such.

NaNo & Camp NaNo username: Cobalt Cyborg.....

Raventongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #117
Adam
Where Brainy goes, I follow.

Adam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD/Skwirrel View Post
Introverted around people I don't know/feel comfortable around. Crowds and things of the like I avoid when I can.

Extroverted with people I know/am comfortable with.
This.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #118
bkendall

bkendall is well-respected
Very introverted around strangers, extroverted around friends. Sometimes though, I don't even want to be around my best friends and won't talk to anyone. Introvertedness seems to self-perpetuate once it hits.

It's ok. Just call me bk.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already made up!-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.-Albert Einstein
bkendall is offline   Reply With Quote