Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: To be introverted or not to be...that is the question.
I consider myself introverted. 109 68.55%
I consider myself extroverted. 20 12.58%
I consider myself ambiverted...or something else--here, I'll post about it. 30 18.87%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
Hiroko
Which of them was the machine?

Hiroko is well-respected
Are most writers introverts?

Whenever I do a search on introverts and marketing, at least one online presence states that "most writers are introverted." Is this true? How many of you would consider yourselves introverted?
Hiroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Writers are as diverse a group as any, I think. That said, I'm an introvert, in the sense that I'm drained rather than energized by social gatherings and need time alone to recharge my batteries.

I'm not as painfully shy as I was when I was a child and teen, and most people wouldn't know I'm still quite shy because I've learned some extroverted behaviour in social situations to cope with my shyness.

I know a lot of writers on this very board, however, who are definitely extroverts.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
_Jinx_
practical experience, FTW

_Jinx_ is on a distinguished road
I am a bit introverted but I dont think all writers are

This here is little Magoogoo. This is the one Madonna didn't want. For fifteen little cents, you can fix his cleft lip, and send him to Oxford. - Dane Cook
_Jinx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Icedevimon
Queen of Darkness

Icedevimon is on a distinguished road
I suffered a lot of bullying as a kid, so early on I became shy and introverted. I got over my shyness thanks to college and many presentations XD but I'm still pretty introverted. The reason I love forums so much, for instance, is because I get that "social interaction" without actually having to look someone in the eye and all that jazz. I find stuff like this more fun and engaging than going out somewhere and doing something.
Morning Star - Edward struggles with depression and self identity within a small community that seems vested in old fashioned beliefs. Weak willed and desperate, he attempts to give himself up to eternal sleep, forcing his friends, family, and fellow students to cope with the choice he's made.
Icedevimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedevimon View Post
I suffered a lot of bullying as a kid, so early on I became shy and introverted. I got over my shyness ...
I never did.

I don't attend social gatherings because I don't like leaving my house... and even if I did (because I have) why should I?

People taught me to not like people.

So, yes,
extremely introverted.

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Sadly, the forum moderator is too deep into his scotch tonight to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
iRock
That's how I roll

iRock has a spectacular aura
I love people, they taste delicious.

Paté, anyone?
iRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
maybegenius
might be a giant

maybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of light
I'm generally an introvert in that I need alone time to recharge and don't like having to be constantly "on." That said, I still really enjoy the company of people and will go out a lot. Still a little nervous around strangers, but I can hold my own and enjoy myself.

My Blog | My Twitter | My Tumblr
maybegenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
Elwolf
Rabbit! Hunting Mode.

Elwolf is well-respected
Total introvert. The only way I interact with others is at work or because I have to. And I don't like it. I act "normal" basically as a defense, so people leave me alone other times. I am shy, though. I'm the "I talk so quietly you can barely hear me" type.

And I agree with Icedevimon; I totally think that being on here is more fun. I just feel so trapped in social situations. I keep on looking for someone to save me. lol

TMI, I know. Sorry!

The novel is an event in consciousness. Our aim isn't to copy actuality, but to modify and recreate our sense of it. The novelist is inviting the reader to watch a performance in his own brain. -George Buchanan
Elwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I like to give and get lap dances? Now sure what I am...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

Ruth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthood
I'm an introvert in that I need solitude to recharge. However, I enjoy people in small doses and act extroverted when I need to.

Screaming into the wind...
Ruth2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
I like to give and get lap dances? Now sure what I am...
I am.

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Sadly, the forum moderator is too deep into his scotch tonight to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
Renee Collins
Plotting . . .

Renee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolnessRenee Collins leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'm an extrovert. Socializing totally energizes me.

That said, I do get nervous when meeting new people, and right before social gatherings, I always feel a stab of anxiety that it will be awkward or that I'll act stupid. Though once things get going, I'm happy as a clam.

RELIC, a YA fantasy set in the Old West, coming Fall 2013 with Entangled Teen!
Renee Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
Introvert. Socializing drains me, need solitude to recover.

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #14
Anna L.

Anna L. has a spectacular aura
I can count my close friends on my hands (not fingers, hands). I'd like to expand my circle but that'd require meeting people. Ick. The internet is less stressful.
The Fox's God
Anna L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #15
steamforged
Forging ever westward

steamforged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroGirl View Post
Writers are as diverse a group as any, I think. That said, I'm an introvert, in the sense that I'm drained rather than energized by social gatherings and need time alone to recharge my batteries.
That describes perfectly why I consider myself an introvert. My friends don't think of me as an introvert, though; I went with the ambivert option as a nod to external perceptions. I find people endlessly fascinating and am completely comfortable striking up small talk with store clerks and strangers I'm in line with. When that's done, at the end of the day, I want nothing more than to disappear into a book/computer/good piece of music.

WsIP:
Blood and Quicksilver -- Victorian steampunk war story
From Shadows Shifted -- Fantasy with intrigue
Ashbound -- doesn't know if it's post-apoc survival horror or post-apoc supernatural mystery.

<:3 )~~
I love mousey!
steamforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
PPartisan
<><'ing for compliments

PPartisan has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamforged View Post
That describes perfectly why I consider myself an introvert. My friends don't think of me as an introvert, though; I went with the ambivert option as a nod to external perceptions. I find people endlessly fascinating and am completely comfortable striking up small talk with store clerks and strangers I'm in line with. When that's done, at the end of the day, I want nothing more than to disappear into a book/computer/good piece of music.
I probably identify with this the most. I think I'm naturally inclined towards being an introvert, but if I give in to that side of myself for too long I get depressed, so getting out there and out of my comfort zone every once in a while keeps me feeling like I've earned my alone time
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #17
Mustafa
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mustafa is well-respected
Introvert, but I put on a show when I'm around people, so most people don't know that I really hate hanging out with them. I have good friends, but I'd prefer our contact to be via email. I'm so introverted I don't even want to spend time with my family - and I like my family - I just don't want to see them.
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
Snitchcat
Drifting through the clouds

Snitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnitchcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Introvert, but can be an extrovert when needed.

That doesn't quite fit ambi-vert, though I went with that option.
Dare you to click:
Snitchcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #19
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
Definitely an extrovert.

I write because it's easier to tell my stories to larger bunches of people that way than having to track them all down and make them stop to listen. *grin*

Course, I've also been an actor, a musician, and play sports. Being in front of crowds is where it's at.
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
JeffRen
figuring it all out

JeffRen is on a distinguished road
I'm a proud extrosexual.

I love being with friends, telling jokes. I think it's great for a writer to know how to connect with people away from the computer.
JeffRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #21
Dreity

Dreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of light
I'm very much an introvert, but over the years I've gotten pretty good at faking otherwise. I was involved in theater and dance for most of my school years, so as long as I either 1) had a script or 2) was doing a non-verbal performance then I did great in front of crowds. Working as a cashier has helped me a lot as well, though I'm still quite reserved. Being friendly is never a struggle, but opening up and talking about something meaningful to a stranger? no wai

Of course, I kind of lose either way. Small talk is pointless and aggravating to me, but it takes me a long time to feel comfortable talking about anything deeper. Forums are such a good fit for me. I can avoid slogging through the ice breaker phase and go straight to the fun stuff.

My Blog. Longer stuff, but still trying to cut down.
Dreity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #22
Literateparakeet
Nerdy Budgie

Literateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
Definitely an extrovert.

I write because it's easier to tell my stories to larger bunches of people that way than having to track them all down and make them stop to listen. *grin*

Course, I've also been an actor, a musician, and play sports. Being in front of crowds is where it's at.
Yep, this is me too! I love to be the center of attention.

At least this is how I have been most of my life, I'm currently in an introverted "phase"...but I've been a writer in each phase.

Website/Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Touching His Robe: is available now. The link will take you to my book website.
Literateparakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #23
cmi0616

cmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewelcmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewel
I think a lot of writers have suffered some kind of emotional pain that has drove them to both introversion and writing itself. Of course, there are a great number of exceptions, I would expect, but in my experience with myself and writers I have known, we're big on alone-time.

Personally speaking, I've always had a lot of trust issues and have had to deal with shyness for most of my life. I'm trying to be better about that and come out of my shell a little bit lately, though. It's been alright, but as somebody on the thread said before, social gatherings are very draining for me. I'm definitely a bit of a homebody and prefer a night on the couch to a night out on the town.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #24
geardrops
Good thing I like my day job

geardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthood
A predominant characteristic of introversion (past the obvious "people make me tired" thing) is having a rich internal world. Makes sense that it would translate to writing, or other relatively solitary creative things.

Anyway, yeah, I'm an introvert. I'm not crazy-introverted, but I definitely have to charge my batteries before I go be social.

my blog - twitter
geardrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
Saavedra
a mean mother hubbard.

Saavedra is on a distinguished road
Depends on the day. I think writers (or other creative folks) in general get pegged as introverted because they don't have a problem spending time alone -- working. But each of us has to have some slight inclination toward extraversion to write believable characters, no?