Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
eileenmcilwain
almost published

eileenmcilwain has a spectacular aura
Agents looking for YA paranormal romance?

Hello,

Does anyone know of literary agents who are looking for authors of YA Paranormal Romance?

I know a lot of agencies aren't interested in representing authors in this genre because the market is flooded, but surely there's an agent somewhere who will give my manuscript a look in? I mean, someone has to be representing the authors of all these YA Paranormal Romance books!

If you can recommend any reputable agents who are interested in this genre I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Eileen

www.eileenmcilwain.com
eileenmcilwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The only way you're going to find a submission list is to find YA agents (look for fantasy / urban fantasy) and then check their agency sites or personal blogs to see if they've declared "NO PARANORMAL ROMANCE!"

It still sells, so yes, there are people still wanting it. I do think you'll have a better chance if your para isn't a vampire or a were-thingy, but even if it is, if the story rocks their socks off, you're golden.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
HoneyBadger
Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
QueryTracker.
Research agents.
Don't freak out if you get a less than positive response:

Quote:
After being here at RT, certainly I can tell you that editors are weary of paranormal romance. That everyone is talking about erotica because of 50 Shades (by the way, I don't rep erotica so please don't query me for that.)

I can tell you that a lot of the romance editors also rep YA and they might be moved to violence if just one more YA paranormal romance lands in their submission inbox.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
MrsBrommers
practical experience, FTW

MrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admiration
The only way to know if to check an agent's guidelines. Look at who represents books you like and see if that agent is still open to those types of books. QT has a list of who reps who. But, yeah, it's a hard genre to break into. Paranormal in general is very full. One thing that can help is to relabel the book's genre if you can. If it's dark enough and frightening enough, you can call it horror. If it's mysterious enough, call it suspense.
Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

http://www.sarah-bromley.com
http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley
MrsBrommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
cherita
practical experience, FTW

cherita is a glorious beacon of lightcherita is a glorious beacon of lightcherita is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I can tell you that a lot of the romance editors also rep YA and they might be moved to violence if just one more YA paranormal romance lands in their submission inbox.
Totally OT, but this explains so much to me about the current state of YA...
cherita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Miss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrommers View Post
The only way to know if to check an agent's guidelines. Look at who represents books you like and see if that agent is still open to those types of books. QT has a list of who reps who.

This is your method. It's going to be tedious and time-consuming, but your best bet is to go to QueryTracker, use their search tools, and then click out to the page of every last agent or agency that's a "likely" and check out their current interests.
Miss Plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Becca C.
Recovering Canucks Fan

Location: Google says 1 hour, 8 minutes north of Vancouver, BC
Becca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudge
And if you're not completely sure if an agent wants YA PNR or not, what's the worst that can happen if you query them? They'll reject. Not the end of the world. And hey, if you're not sure and you end up not querying them, what if they would actually love it? You could be missing out by hesitating

You can't always judge every agent's taste by their submission guidelines and wishlists. A lot of them will just say "Heck, query me anyway, you never know what I might like!"

Now represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!
Becca C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
AmyT
Writer, geek

AmyT is on a distinguished road
I agree with everyone else that you'll probably just have to look on Agent Query, Query Tracker, etc, then look at the individual agent's websites (that's how I did it). If you have a fresh, unique take on the paranormal genre they will be interested.

But I also agree with MrsBrommers about maybe calling your book something else if you can. A while back a book was marketed as a "YA thriller," and I read it and it was totally paranormal romance. I don't love this, but agents will do the same thing when they submit your book.

REBOOT, May 7, 2013 from HarperCollins/HarperTeen
http://amytintera.com
AmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
eileenmcilwain
almost published

eileenmcilwain has a spectacular aura
I was considering re-labelling it as YA Urban Fantasy, which it is, but it's likely most agents have had a gutful of those too. I also don't want the agent to feel like I've tricked them. If I was an agent and someone did that to me, I'd feel a bit miffed.

I did get a full request after submitting it as a YA Paranormal Romance, but it got rejected because the agent had recently taken on a manuscript in the same genre. They were having trouble finding a publisher for it and were reluctant to take on another manuscript with similarities to the one they already had. Apart from that, they didn't say anything negative about the manuscript itself - on the contrary, they said they "really liked it" and seemed genuinely sorry that they couldn't take it on.

It's just so frustrating that most agents will automatically bin my manuscript without looking at it because of the genre

www.eileenmcilwain.com
eileenmcilwain is offline   Reply With Quote