Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #151
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
McCardey's dream becomes reality!
Marya joins us, wisecracks welcome here.
The muse is plotting torture scenes with ease.
While Shara's early session wins the count.
An av'rage day? No way. This one's a peach.

(But I couldn't get 487 into iambic pentameter--yes, I know I need to squeeze in 13 more words today. Does this post count?)
Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #152
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You must have missed her previous posts about it being a small town and not having reliable internet, Doc. That's what you get for not frequenting Office Party.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #153
Ken Hoss
Available Now

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Working on the WIP. 525 words so far today. Kelli is getting in deep. She's down in Medellin with Larsen, the new DEA Agent and his team. It may get ugly.

ETA: 712 total today. (So far.)

Last edited by Ken Hoss; 04-18-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #154
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
You must have missed her previous posts about it being a small town and not having reliable internet, Doc. That's what you get for not frequenting Office Party.
In my defense, I do live in a third world country: West Virginia.

So I don't always have reliable internet to keep up with all these posts.

That, and all those DMCA warnings...

Oh yeah, I guess I should ETA that I wrote 828 words today. Still moving along...
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #155
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Great count, Doc.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #156
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're very clever, Activist

I got some wordage done today ) not 500, alas. And the internet thing isn't a French thing, Doc - it's just this house or perhaps this village. It's intermittent, and slow but it's here. Mostly.
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #157
mccardey

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post

mccardey, why the hell are you writing instead of test-driving croissants or looking at statues of Victor Hugo?
Don't worry - I'm doing that, too
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #158
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote a bit yesterday after all. Possibly a whole eight paragraphs this time. It may have to carry me through today as well, as I have to be sociable tonight.

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #159
Ken Hoss
Available Now

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namatu View Post
I wrote a bit yesterday after all. Possibly a whole eight paragraphs this time. It may have to carry me through today as well, as I have to be sociable tonight.
Sociable? What's that? I want to see eight more paragraphs out of you before you go being all "sociable".

867 for me. (Plus I have one for the LOD!)

That puts the WIP at 50970!!!
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #160
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
Wrote 1 600 words, something of a rats' nest. But tomorrow I shall untangle it.

Out here in the mountains of the Overberg, it is genuine Third World. Nothing but Internet, cell phones and Monsanto GM rapeseed.

Thanks for the poetic welcome, wonderactivist
Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #161
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
1,027 today, but a lot of that was stuff in ALL CAPS, just describing what happens in the scene so I can write it later when I have a clue how to write it. Right now the struggle is just to leave it alone and move on. My inner editor is being particularly annoying today.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #162
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hoss View Post
Sociable? What's that? I want to see eight more paragraphs out of you before you go being all "sociable".
Uh oh. Um... Double or nothing today?

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #163
mccardey

What a clever little bunch of vegemites! I did a paltry couple of hundred words today, but I got a good overview of where I am, and tomorrow I'm going back for a bit of a tighten of the first 1,000 or so words. It's a slow way to write, but the only way I know...

Re: internet problems - it seems to work downstairs ok now (we've had someone come in to fix it) - but it doesn't work upstairs. Is that possible? If anyone knows, could they pm me with the answer? - not wanting to derail the thread...

Last edited by mccardey; 04-19-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #164
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A little over 500 yesterday. Today's one of my busy days (so was yesterday and it wasn't supposed to be. Yuck!), but I'm going to do my best to get a lot of words in. I'm aiming for 500 to be the minimum today rather than the max.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #165
mccardey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
A little over 500 yesterday. Today's one of my busy days (so was yesterday and it wasn't supposed to be. Yuck!), but I'm going to do my best to get a lot of words in. I'm aiming for 500 to be the minimum today rather than the max.
Go, you!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #166
wonderactivist

I'm sorry, but I felt a need to write a longer pentameter today. It carried my feelings.
Today is bliss for me, while mothers grieve.
It's twenty years since Carl and I got hitched,
but seventeen since hate killed innocence.
And I would give my bliss to soothe one mom
of children killed by Timothy's Mc-bomb.

So writers dip your pens in awful truth,
For fiction rips apart the veil of crime
to show the motivations ... sick, sublime.
And we can help the world to understand
what interactions lead a killer's hand.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #167
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, great poem, Wonder. *stands back in awe*

I uh...have 757 so far. Hopefully more coming later. I can't really top Wonder's post, though, so I'm leaving it at that.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #168
Fins Left
practical experience, FTW

Fins Left is well-respected
Wonderer -- Wow.

No new stuff since last post. I'm still squishy headed :-(
Fins Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #169
wonderactivist

Thanks, y'all. I'm no poet, but had one strong feeling to express. Poetry, good or bad, is great for that. I spent the day with my hubby and kids -- walk in the park, dinner out and some great wine. Didn't write other than my iambic pentameter. But life counts. Lucie
Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #170
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Very cool WA!

I'm with kaitie, I'll just mention my 597 words and bow out of WA's way.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #171
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats on the Anniversary, Lucie - great poem.

1340 words for me over two days - no torturing, alas, but the scenes are shaping up nicely.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #172
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
It was a real struggle getting out of bed this morning for my early-morning writing session.

But I have managed 1,352 words.

Perhaps there is something to be said for tapping into the creativity of the half-awake brain.

In any case, I feel satisfied that I've started the day with some productive writing. Off to the day job now.

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #173
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
Useless unproductive morning thinking about liberal nuns and the Vatican, Titanic obsessions, my love-hate relationship with Bircher muesli and why I can't write in iambic pentameter even if I count syllables on my fingers.

One sentence, so far, 22 words.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #174
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very nice, wonder!

I finished a run-through of the old ms yesterday and I've got a list of things to do for improvement. Some easy (where exactly did that truck come from? Magic?), some not so much.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #175
mccardey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post

One sentence, so far, 22 words.
22 words is my kind of writing Don't fret, Pet - they do add up. Slowly.

As of this very moment, I've just finished my first week of wordage on New Book and I'm thrilled to tiny pieces. It's Friday, so as per the plan, I used today's two hours to go back and tighten and structure the work that I've done since Monday (yes, yes, it's a slow way to work, but what can you do?) and I finished with a daily haul of minus 354 words - 1356 in total. Which is just exactly the way it should go, the way it went last time with Old Book. And if nothing else it should make Marya feel a whole lot better about plus 22. Go, Marya!!!

It's going to be a nice little book, this new one of mine. You heard it here first