Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > NaNoWriMo and Beyond
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #76
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Made it to 1151 words. I still need to add in one short section though... I couldn't recall the exact path of a certain argument, but needed to use the conclusion of that argument in my essay's argument... So I found the quote for the conclusion, pasted it in, and didn't include the steps that prove that part.

So when I include that small section, I should be right around the required word count.

And oh yeah, this thing is gonna need so much editing! I definitely come across as sounding like a first-year Philosophy student. I'd prefer to have some level of confidence in my essay. Fortunately, now that the first draft is written, I actually have some more confidence...

Taking a break now, will edit it later. Then onto the English essay...
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #77
TNK
The door is ajar.

TNK is a shiny, shiny jewelTNK is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm still working on my first chapter. I changed the beginning so now I need to blend the changes together. I also finally cut chapter two down from 5,425 words to 864. Hopefully I'll be able to get some feedback on it soon.

Now, I need to get back to work.

NOTE: You say "trope", I say "well-honed story tool." - John Rogers

Nanowrimo 2013: Edit

TNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #78
K. Taylor
Bah Humbug

K. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Secret short Project done at 4896. Now for betas.

K. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #79
Sarah G
Let me live that fantasy.

Sarah G has a spectacular auraSarah G has a spectacular aura
Finally got something written today now up to almost 17,000 Hoping to get as close to 20,000 as I can tonight, but if not then tomorrow
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #80
FoamyRules
Hamtaro Rules

FoamyRules is on a distinguished road
So, I sent a short story off to a publisher earlier today Now working on another short for another anthology I got accepted into. Also, this week I only had 1 day off (gotta work tomorrow) plus school is giving me a headache. And still no hard drive for my laptop But next paycheck for sure.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #81
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamyRules View Post
So, I sent a short story off to a publisher earlier today Now working on another short for another anthology I got accepted into. Also, this week I only had 1 day off (gotta work tomorrow) plus school is giving me a headache. And still no hard drive for my laptop But next paycheck for sure.
Oh, so you did send it off? I hope you get in. I haven't gotten mine sent off yet. I'm having someone read over it first. Maybe tomorrow or sometime later? I'll stay positive that I'll get in.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #82
FoamyRules
Hamtaro Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
Oh, so you did send it off? I hope you get in. I haven't gotten mine sent off yet. I'm having someone read over it first. Maybe tomorrow or sometime later? I'll stay positive that I'll get in.
Yep, I did after having some of my soror sisters and some frat guys look over it. I sent it right before heading to work. I hope we both get in.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #83
Silver-Midnight

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamyRules View Post
Yep, I did after having some of my soror sisters and some frat guys look over it. I sent it right before heading to work. I hope we both get in.
That's cool. Same here. Haha.

Twitter
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #84
FoamyRules
Hamtaro Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
That's cool. Same here. Haha.
We shall see
Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #85
TNK
The door is ajar.

I just bought more books!

Now I'm waiting for my Kindle to charge so I can read one, since the other has to be shipped.

And while it charges, I'll work on my own novel.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #86
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, I spent the first half of today avoiding doing anything long-term, because we were supposed to go out and I wasn't sure when.

Around 3pm we went to a big furniture store, so the grandparents could find something to replace something they already have but which is falling apart. I spent the hour in the store wandering around on my own, falling in love with a few pieces. I only hope they still make them when I can finally get my own place!

Then went and visited sis for a while, cause we were out that way already. Then had Chinese for dinner. OMG, so yummy!

So that's my excuse as to why I've gotten nothing done today.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #87
K. Taylor
Bah Humbug

K. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Edited after feedback. 5392.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #88
K. Taylor
Bah Humbug

Spent an hour fine-tuning the cover for the story I've been mentioning. The one I'd done just wasn't sitting quite right.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #89
Silver-Midnight

As much as I wanted to, I don't think I'm going to send it to this particular anthology. While my story is finished, and I'm almost done with editing. Something about feels....off. It really doesn't feel like my best work. Not to say that everything I write will be my best work, but I just get this feeling that I shouldn't send it to this anthology.

Twitter

Last edited by Silver-Midnight; 04-17-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #90
Cliff Face

I did a token effort on my essays last night. Namely, making notes for essay 2. I feel marginally better about that essay now that I have some sort of direction I'm heading in.

Whether that direction will get me an A or not I don't know.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #91
Cliff Face

Okay, so I've figured out what I want to talk about in my English essay. I have also decided on what quotes I want to use. But that's from memory - I need to actually find the quotes in the 560-page book. *sigh*

Once I have those 4 quotes (I could've used more, but it's only a 1500-word essay, so the 11 quotes I wanted might've been a little bit of overkill...) I should be able to punch out a first draft pretty easily.

It is Tuesday here. Which means my break ends in 6 days. I then have 1 week before both essays are due... I may just be operating on schedule here, actually... Tonight and tomorrow, find those quotes. Tomorrow, add the bit to the Philosophy essay that I need to add. Day 3, first draft English essay. Day 4, make sure my referencing is how it should be.

So that leaves a week and a bit for setbacks, laziness, and editing.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #92
TNK
The door is ajar.

My cat won't let me work! I'm currently typing around her. The purring little brat!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #93
Cliff Face

Well, I figured out how much of Jane Eyre I need to re-read to get my quotes. Only about 130 pages. *headdesk*

2 quotes are in a section of about 30 pages each, the last 2 quotes come from the same section of about 60 pages. Hmm. This may take longer than I expected...

Of course, once I find a suitable quote, I can ditch that section entirely.

Taking a break from thinking right now. Just washed dishes, now going to finish watching a DVD.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #94
Cliff Face

Okay, that wasn't so bad... By a combination of luck, skim-reading, and the usable quotes being pretty close to the start points of each section, I now have my quotes. Hooray!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #95
K. Taylor
Bah Humbug

Up to 6488, which leaves 3512 to reach my 10k goal.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #96
Cliff Face

Gogogo!

I was going to work on my essay tonight, but wound up going to the grandparents' place instead. To move 2 heavy-arse bits of furniture, with no really good place to get a grip. *sigh*

When I get my own place, I'm only buying furniture that can be moved by one person! Okay, that might not be realistic... Movable by 2 people, with good places to get a good grip.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #97
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

xXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I murdered critiqued an essay for a friend yesterday, and I've done almost nothing else since. I'm just being a bit lazy... I can afford it for now.

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
xXVampyrePrincessXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #98
Cliff Face

I finally spray-painted my minis. Next step is to paint them up all pretty and stuff.

Going to work on the essays later. Right now, my leg is hot because my laptop is running hot for some reason. It doesn't help that it's a hot day...
Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #99
TNK
The door is ajar.

I'm still working on chapter one of my WIP. I've got a few spots were detail needs to be added before I'm done.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it finished today. I'd like to get some feedback on it.

And then it's off to rewrite chapter two.

Edit: Done!

Last edited by TNK; 04-19-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #100
K. Taylor
Bah Humbug

Cliff, the laptop is probably clogged with some dust and can't get proper airflow.