Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Kevans
Fish from another stream

Kevans is well-respected
A new take on heart disease

This is an article on inflammation, as a cause of heart disease, puts the blame on the Omega-6s in a low fat diet....

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

Regards,
Kevin
Kevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I won't go to SOTT. Their idea of "fair use" sucks.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The articles littering that site are truly saddening, more than inspiring anger like they wish to do.
Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Albedo
beerful symmetry

Albedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Dwight C. Lundell, M.D. lost medical license in 2008. Since that time he has been promoting books that clash with scientific knowledge of heart disease prevention and treatment.

[...]

Between 2000 and 2008, Lundell was subjected to five regulatory actions by the Arizona Medical Board:
  • In 2000, the board concluded that his postoperative management of a patient who died following carotid artery surgery was substandard and insufficiently documented. He was censured for unprofessional conduct, assessed a $2,500 civil penalty, and placed on probation during which he was required to take continuing medical education courses in carotid artery surgery and medical recordkeeping. He was also required to submit to monitoring of his patient records [4].
  • In 2003, the board noted that 13 out of 20 charts reviewed by the consultant were deficient because they did not include adequate initial evaluations of the patients. Lundell was censured again and was placed on probation that included quarterly chart reviews [5].
  • In 2004, the board found fault with his management of two patients and concluded that his records for these patients were inadequate. He was reprimanded and ordered to serve two more years of probation, during which he was required to undergo an extensive evaluation of his fitness to continue practicing medicine [6].
  • In 2006, the board sent him an advisory letter for failure to maintain adequate records and for a technical surgical error [7].
  • In 2008, the board reviewed Lundell's management of several more patients and revoked his medical license. The board's order indicated that the board began investigating his care of seven patients after the Banner Desert Medical Hospital suspended Lundell's surgical privileges [7].
Source: quackwatch.org

Sounds like this 'retired heart surgeon' may have been, um, forcefully retired. No doubt a silencing tactic by Big Nutrition.

45,000/80,000
Albedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
ColoradoGuy
I've seen worse.
SuperModerator

ColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wonder what a CV surgeon was doing messing around with carotid endarterectomies. Those are typically done by vascular or neurosurgeons.

My books, website, and blog
ColoradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 is a very interesting topic, for sure, though! And it's very true that folks could be making their balance even worse when they restrict fat if they aren't paying attention to the ratio.

So you've got your 'good fat' to 'bad fat' ratio, which does still have utility, I think is clear. But then you also need to figure the omega 6 to 3 ratio, too.

The way our processed food is made, you can't expect it to be healthy without knowing certain things to discern. It's a sad fact, and I wish we had labels that kept up with research in a more timely manner. It gets confusing, but it is very important.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I won't go to SOTT. Their idea of "fair use" sucks.
I was just glancing around at the ads on the right side of the page....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
The articles littering that site are truly saddening, more than inspiring anger like they wish to do.
... some look new-agey, and there's an ad for a Truther book. Fascinating, in a train-wreck sort of way. If the site displayed the time of day, I'd feel an urge to double-check it.

And with that, the only reason I would want to do anything that might involve fair use with that site would involve parody, which has been ruled defensible on its own anyway. But whatever...
Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashbaby View Post
The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 is a very interesting topic, for sure, though! And it's very true that folks could be making their balance even worse when they restrict fat if they aren't paying attention to the ratio.

So you've got your 'good fat' to 'bad fat' ratio, which does still have utility, I think is clear. But then you also need to figure the omega 6 to 3 ratio, too.

The way our processed food is made, you can't expect it to be healthy without knowing certain things to discern. It's a sad fact, and I wish we had labels that kept up with research in a more timely manner. It gets confusing, but it is very important.
The labels on food boxes at the supermarket? With the FDA the way it is, I think we're lucky those are there at all. I haven't used one, but I know there are diet programs that have huge amounts of info on huge numbers of food items, so it's possible to keep quite good track of these things.

If you're looking up omega ratios and reading from many sources about a healthy diet, you're way ahead of most people in every country, first-world or third-world. I've enjoyed "Beyond the 120 year diet" and Kurzweil's "The Ten Percent Solution For A Healthy Life" from 20 years ago (though I understand he's changed his postition on a few things in his more recent health/diet books), but even he is selling supplements thesedays (and it's not like he needs the money!), which always make me suspicious:
http://www.rayandterry.com
Old 03-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
William Haskins
The Aristocrats!
Absolute Sage

William Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
humans have not only survived, but indeed have thrived, by a strict regimen of cannibalism.

maybe i'm just old-fashioned.

Thorn Forest: A Poem in Progress
Updated August 21, 2014

Listen to it here (also in progress)

PoisonPen.net
Online Poetry Archive

William Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
shawkins
Puts the fun in function calls.
AW Paladin

shawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you're interested I have a lovely recipe for Creutzfeld-Jakob flavored pastry puffs.
shawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbradley View Post
And with that, the only reason I would want to do anything that might involve fair use with that site would involve parody, which has been ruled defensible on its own anyway. But whatever...
It's the other way around. I found one of my blog posts on their site. It was attributed, sort of, but reproduced in full. Nasty email followed. No response received. I've been keeping an eye out since then. They're based overseas somewhere, so fighting it would be a nightmare.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
humans have not only survived, but indeed have thrived, by a strict regimen of cannibalism.

maybe i'm just old-fashioned.
To continue the species you really only have to thrive long enough to reproduce (and not eat too many others of your own species). Humans are already outliving that threshold many times over.

Your statement reminds me of this naysayer:
Quote:
Klomp predicts that through a technology called ‘hygiene’ we could extend the simian lifespan well into the late 20s or possibly 30s. What exactly will the post-simian do with all that time? Do we really want to live in a society populated by geriatric 27- year- olds?
http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/2181
Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Albedo
beerful symmetry

Albedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo has a double-platinum reputation
I think tongue may have been planted in cheek with Haskins' comment there.

Though, not necessarily his tongue. Tasty, tasty tongue.

45,000/80,000
Albedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
GeorgeK
ever seeking

GeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's not really the unusual part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGuy View Post
I wonder what a CV surgeon was doing messing around with carotid endarterectomies. Those are typically done by vascular or neurosurgeons.
If a surgery resident came from a program that had a lot of vascular cases it would not be unusual that their case logs would allow them to apply for vascular privileges and even board exams. It's more for social reasons (not wanting to deal with those type of complications at 2 AM) rather than training why CV surgeons tend not to want to bother with carotid cases. If you go across the country, some regions tend to have surgeon type X do surgery Y, and in others it will be surgeon Z doing Y. There's a fair amount of overlap with the exceptions of Ophthamologists have a niche in the eyes and Urologists have the retroperitoneal niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbradley View Post
To continue the species you really only have to thrive long enough to reproduce
If you talk to Animal Behavioralists and Evolutionary Biologists they will amend that to living long enough to have fertile grandkids.
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
William Haskins
The Aristocrats!
Absolute Sage

William Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
I think tongue may have been planted in cheek with Haskins' comment there.
i was just hungry, i think.

Thorn Forest: A Poem in Progress
Updated August 21, 2014

Listen to it here (also in progress)

PoisonPen.net
Online Poetry Archive

William Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've recently discovered the virtues of the Paleo diet, aka the "caveman diet." Lots of meat, no grains. Eat like a predator, not like the prey.

This guy is essentially trying to champion the Paleo diet, but he doesn't seem to be giving proper credit for the origins of the Paleo diet -- a diet first proposed by a DIFFERENT researcher back in the 1970's. He isn't even naming the diet by its proper name: "Paleo Diet" or "Paleolothic Diet." So he's really just plagerizing someone else's research.

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

Last edited by Plot Device; 03-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #16
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you look around the Web far enough, I'm sure you can find some site extolling the virtues of cigarette smoking as a cure for heart disease.

It probably does work: You tend to die of lung cancer or emphysema before you get heart disease.

caw
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote