Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #4401
Elysium
believe

Location: In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvania other times
Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why must today be Sunday?

I hope my cold magically disappears by midnight. Don't want to go to school sick.

UNFAIR
A Dark Retelling of Snow White
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #4402
MargoWest
the chart is not the sea

MargoWest has a double-platinum reputationMargoWest has a double-platinum reputationMargoWest has a double-platinum reputationMargoWest has a double-platinum reputationMargoWest has a double-platinum reputationMargoWest has a double-platinum reputationMargoWest has a double-platinum reputation
Ah gotcha. Are you trying to work on campus? I know at our school they tried to have a bunch of job opportunities for kids to work in admissions or places like that.

Work's going great! Writing... er, slowly? Very slowly, haha.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #4403
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive View Post
I'm great! Only halfway through college, unfortunately. Another two years to go. :/ I'm hunting frantically for work atm. Must find some way to PAY for these two remaining years of college. Yay for the student job market in a recession!
The job market here is an absolute disaster. I'm self-employed and sincerely hoping never to go back to applying for work.
Parametric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #4404
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
I do not know how to continue this scene. Gah.
Untitled - YA Epic Fantasy - Writing the first draft

Reading:
"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and his Boy" - CS Lewis

Twitter
Tumblr
lisalulu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #4405
Elysium
believe

Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channy View Post
I'm 22, in case you couldn't tell, I'm a girl. xD I get a lot of misunderstandings over my name, Channy.. which is short for Chantelle, but a lot of forumers in the past have thought it stood for Chandler. xD

So, with that said, I prefer to be called Channy. ^^

I've mostly written fantasy in the last, but recently I've been developing a sci-fi with traces of fantasy in it. Everything is mostly YA but most things in the past I never got around to finishing any of them. So then recently I got a new idea for a sci-fi that I want to see through to the end.
Ooh. I like both sci-fi/fantasy. And I haven't gotten around to finishing anything lately, so join the club.

UNFAIR
Old 05-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #4406
Elusive
kick-ass extra something special!

Elusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoWest View Post
Ah gotcha. Are you trying to work on campus? I know at our school they tried to have a bunch of job opportunities for kids to work in admissions or places like that.

Work's going great! Writing... er, slowly? Very slowly, haha.
Ah, unfortunately my campus is too far away to commute to during the summer, and housing is too expensive. I've been reduced to applying to McDonald's and Walmart -- and they won't hire me because I'm over qualified!!

I know what you mean about the slow writing. I think the study bunny ate my muse during the school year.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
The job market here is an absolute disaster. I'm self-employed and sincerely hoping never to go back to applying for work.
You lucky duck! Applying for jobs has become the bane of my existence.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #4407
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
I think this chapter is going to be hard to write...

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #4408
Thalia
better off with a really good lie

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
Agreed with Elu!

Margo- I saw both of those occasions as Fleur being fed up to hell with people just obsessing over her looks and never trying to get to know her (especially her date, who if I remember correctly was just nodding and staring vaguely when she was trying to have a legitimate conversation) and Ron, being some kid who just drooled over her constantly- when people view you as nothing more than what you look like it's quite irritating. I mean, she's this strong, independent, intelligent and ambitious seventeen-year-old young woman and this fourteen-year-old kid is just drooling after you and obsessing with you- not to mention him being Harry's best friend, and I believe Fleur was pretty irritated with Harry.

I mean, from her perspective, all she knows is what she's heard, and though I don't believe she is some newspaper or gossip obsessive person, she shows up at this school determined to work hard and prove her worth and some fourteen-year-old kid is presented as her competition. She must have found that offensive, both as an insult to her ability and to how hard she worked to get into the Tournament (seeing as she knows that SOMEONE cheated to get him in the competition, even if it wasn't Harry).

All in all, I could very much relate to Fleur. She's a young woman trying to prove herself, and maybe she does get a little too irritated by Harry and Ron but hey, she's allowed to have flaws.

But Fleur also falls into my character type. I just really, really love her. And like you said, FANTASTIC character development.

-E. Lockhart, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Thalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #4409
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I thought it was very telling that when Bill got disfigured, his family (wrongly) assumed that Fleur would leave him. That says a lot about the way that people react to Fleur.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #4410
Elysium
believe

Was going to ask who Fleur was but then I saw a Harry somewhere in Tally's post...so she must be a character from Harry Potter?

UNFAIR
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #4411
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

Guys, I thought I would warn you that I'm probably going to disappear for a few days while my laptop goes for repairs. I'll still be on FB on my iPod, though.

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #4412
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Fleur was the gorgeous French blonde who competed in the Triwizard Tournament as her school's champion. Later a member of the new Order of the Phoenix.

edit: Which is from Harry Potter, yes.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #4413
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

I'll still be on for some of tomorrow, though!

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #4414
Elusive

Elusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputationElusive has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Was going to ask who Fleur was but then I saw a Harry somewhere in Tally's post...so she must be a character from Harry Potter?
Yes. One of the contestants in the Tri-Wizard tournament in Goblet of Fire.

More importantly, have you not read Harry Potter?

ETA: Para beat me to it!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #4415
Elysium
believe

Oh...wait. Was Fleur the one that Harry had a crush on in Goblet of Fire?

Lisa - Aw that sucks. I don't know if I could survive without my laptop, even if it was just for a few days. Hopefully it gets repaired sooner than that.

ETA: Just saw your post Elu & Para! Ignore my question lol

And...I am probably the only one in this thread who hasn't read any of the HP books.

UNFAIR
Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #4416
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

I WANT TO WRITE. I CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT MY LAPTOP.

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #4417
Elysium
believe

You could always write by hand and then type whatever you write once you get your laptop back.

UNFAIR
Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #4418
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

I plan on doing that if I ever finish this scene.

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #4419
Elusive

ELY! You are DEPRIVED!

*runs off to supper*
Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #4420
Taylor_Writes
#teampeeta

Taylor_Writes has a spectacular auraTaylor_Writes has a spectacular aura
Harry had a crush on Cho in GoF.

Don't worry - I only finished the series last summer. And I still can't believe she killed Lupin... I hated that. I don't know why, but I just did, okay?
Taylor_Writes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #4421
Elysium
believe

Lol. That isn't the first time someone has told me that, Elu. A kid at school yelled at me when I told him I haven't read the books. I actually own a copy of Goblet of Fire but the thing is...once I see a movie for a book it's really hard for me to read the book, because I know what happens and it just spoils for me. I've seen all of the movies except for Deathly Hallows 1 & 2 but I pretty much know what happens in the series anyways.

UNFAIR
Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #4422
Thalia
better off with a really good lie

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
Deathly Hallows is an AMAZING movie (I consider it one long film) but the book is beyond comprehendable goodness. The Prince's Tale and onward are just.... wow.

I do not have that problem with books and movies, I enjoy all.

Also, Fleur was the one Ron had a crush on.

Yes, Para! Exactumundo!

-E. Lockhart, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Thalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #4423
Elysium
believe

Maybe 10 years from now when I have completely forgotten what happens in the movies...I'll be able to read the books lol

You're lucky you don't have this problem, Tally. SO lucky.

UNFAIR
Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #4424
Taylor_Writes
#teampeeta

Taylor_Writes has a spectacular auraTaylor_Writes has a spectacular aura
The last two films were really, really good, but they left out a lot, like Teddy, for instance. And they changed some stuff, too.

But hey, it's a book-to-movie adaptation. I don't think you can get any better than HP.
Taylor_Writes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #4425
Elysium
believe

Trying to figure out if I want to watch the Secret Circle finale or not. It'll be pointless since the show isn't going to have another season but I do want to know what happens...

UNFAIR