Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #4126
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm with Para on this one, tbqh.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #4127
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
I'm with Para on this one, tbqh.
Because of my wit and charm? It's okay. You can admit it.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #4128
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wit, charm and beauty. It's hard to resist.

But, yeah, I actually have a hard time conceptualizing characters as something other than me...it's just weird.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #4129
Thalia
better off with a really good lie

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
Hmm...

I don't really... I dunno, I don't actually think of my characters as being separate beings from me. They are separate from me, of course- they have separate hopes and fears and dreams and desires and lives- but they're still mine, and I still made them, and I can change them if I so desire.

Now, obviously, if I'm writing and I try to make my character do something that doesn't fit with his or her character, I'll get writers block. But that's not, in my mind, because my characters won't do it. It's my subconscious saying "Tally, this isn't right. Go back and fix it."

I mean, generally, when you're too strongly entrenched in the idea that your characters are their own real people and you just right them, it makes it much harder to work with the publishing world, because if they say "I don't want your character to whine so much, they need to be more likeable" (or something else, I don't know) and you staunchly refuse to change any part of your character, people won't like working with you.

ETA: My thing (it's sort of weird) is putting myself in my characters' mindset and physically talking through their issues or the plot or their actions or whatever. I'll even do their voice or accent. I've always been best at thinking out loud (like the Doctor or Sherlock) and there's not always a skull around.

-E. Lockhart, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Thalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #4130
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Well, any writer who can't revise needs to work on their technique. Like, I understand wanting to remain true to your character, but often, it's less about their character and how that character is expressed.

Plus, an editor's ideas and comments always spark nifty new ideas in my brain, so that usually makes something cooler than what I originally had anyway.

Also, to use myself as an example, my character (Dru) bit her lip too often. Like, a minor writing tick, see? So, when my editor asked me to get rid of said tick because it got repetitive, I went through and changed it so that Dru biting her lip became a reoccurring motif with actual consequences (like, she chews on her lip so often she gets freaking cancer sores).

It was a good change...course, it was only a minor character note I changed, not a major one, but you can see what I mean...hopefully.

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #4131
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
Sometimes I like to think out loud, too, Tally!
Sherlock Holmes' Apprentice - MG Historical Mystery - On hold
Untitled - YA Paranormal Romance - Writing the first draft

Reading:
"Girlfriend in a Coma" - Douglas Coupland

Twitter
Tumblr
lisalulu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #4132
Thalia

Thalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthoodThalia is a candidate for sainthood
Exactly.

Like, I've spoken to people who say, "My characters are entirely real to me and separate from me and that's the way they are and I can't change who they are, I just write what they do." And that's fine, but then they'd better get used to the idea of self-publishing.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #4133
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
I write what I believe my character would do - what's in their character to do.

Also, Tally, if you want, email me the snippet and I'll read it.

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #4134
Thalia

Sent it!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #4135
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

Read it and replied.

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #4136
Thalia

Ooh, thanks!

Ha, I was remembering the time before I had named MAAH... it was once 'Stranger Than Fiction', then it was 'A Thousand Burning Suns' for a terrible moment before Kyrie reminded me of A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Since then, I've become much better at naming books. Sherlockettes, Sweet As Sin, Dawning Glory, The Winter Princess, etc...

Old 05-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #4137
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

I have no idea what my best title is. Probably Sticks and Stones or Invincible. What do you think?

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #4138
Horserider
Ever onward

Horserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sticks and Stones.

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:
Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Horserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #4139
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #4140
Horserider
Ever onward

Horserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHorserider is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Argh. I hate it when I'm trying to write a story in past tense and it keeps switching to present, or vice versa.

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #4141
Elysium
believe

Location: In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvania other times
Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey guys.

Was in the middle of watching the first episode of season two of Game of Thrones when my computer decided to log off & install updates. Can't begin to describe how annoyed I was because my computer restarted at a really good scene... :p

How is everyone?

UNFAIR
A Dark Retelling of Snow White
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #4142
Elysium
believe

Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horserider View Post
Argh. I hate it when I'm trying to write a story in past tense and it keeps switching to present, or vice versa.
OMG! I thought I was the only one who had this problem. But sometimes I don't even notice that I switch tense until someone points out that I have. So frustrating.

UNFAIR
Old 05-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #4143
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

I'm good. Feeling very accomplished after I finished my last, evil piece of coursework.

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #4144
Horserider
Ever onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
OMG! I thought I was the only one who had this problem. But sometimes I don't even notice that I switch tense until someone points out that I have. So frustrating.
Definitely not the only one. It happens to me with literally everything that I write. I usually don't even notice until I reread that part or someone points it out.

And if I'm not switching tenses, I head-hop (in the case of my dual PoV character novels) or switch from third to first person (or vice versa).

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #4145
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

I don't have those problems...

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 AM   #4146
Horserider
Ever onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu09 View Post
I don't have those problems...
Do you write everything in the same tense/PoV?

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:

Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #4147
Thalia

I almost never jump from past to present, but I often switch from present to past.

As for POV... I rarely head-hop. Though I might struggle with that now, with this rewrite of MAAH.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #4148
Elysium
believe

Having a really hard time getting into this first scene. I know what's happening but I can't seem to write it...

Really think I need to read more books in my wip's genre. But it's going to be a while before I have a new book to read. :/

UNFAIR
Old 05-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #4149
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just write everything in past tense. Problem solved.
Parametric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #4150
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

I don't always, but when I do, I'm aware of it.

I'm proud of the decision to introduce Carlos a lot earlier... but now I have a problem: How to have a flashback from Carlos's POV, written in first person from Will's POV?

Reading:

Twitter
Tumblr