Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Draíocht
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Draíocht is on a distinguished road
Equipt/Equipped?

My sister asked me if they were one and the same. I seem to have come to a blank.

Can anyone clarify, please?

Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure. ~ Oliver Herford
Draíocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm opting for simple synonymous alternatives (like burnt v burned etc), but when has semantics ever been simples?

Goodreads

2013 Rainbow Honorable Mention Award (Don't)

Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
Snick
Banned

Snick is a shiny, shiny jewelSnick is a shiny, shiny jewel
I tend to agree with Falen on this, but that's the first time that I have ever seen "equipt", an my spellchecker flags it as a mistake.
Snick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Looks like a British way of spelling the preterite of "equip."
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
Snick
Banned

Snick is a shiny, shiny jewelSnick is a shiny, shiny jewel
My spellchecker is set for 'English (UK)'.
Snick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't believe "equipt" is a proper word in any English dialect, at least not one with which I am familiar. I've certainly never seen it. There are a few verbs that have the "-t" alternative, like "burnt", but not many, and some, like "learnt" are generally considered archaic spellings nowadays.

caw
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I see it in a couple dictionaries. Wordnet, The Free Dictionary and Merriam-Webster (who has it as a past-participle and not a preterite, which makes sense now as the preterite is Equipped.)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Pamvhv
Sipper of Mojitos

Pamvhv has a spectacular auraPamvhv has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
I don't believe "equipt" is a proper word in any English dialect, at least not one with which I am familiar. I've certainly never seen it. There are a few verbs that have the "-t" alternative, like "burnt", but not many, and some, like "learnt" are generally considered archaic spellings nowadays.

caw
Learnt, burnt and more are used daily in the UK and Oz.
Pamvhv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't recall ever seeing 'equipt' anywhere but in this thread.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Fallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFallen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post
I don't recall ever seeing 'equipt' anywhere but in this thread.
Be interesting to see the etymology of where/why it came about.

Goodreads

Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think "equipt" is a typo or misspelling. I've certainly never seen it anywhere.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Equipt is not a typo; it's simply not American standard English. It is, however, the way I was taught to spell the word and I HATE the "proper" spelling with hateful hatey hatred.

Per Merriam-Webster, "Equipt" is a past participle of "Equip"'

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cyia, where were you taught "equipt"? I have never once seen it in a single book published and printed in the UK, Australia, or New Zealand, and I've been reading books published in those countries for upwards of 45 years. (And I would definitely remember it, thanks to my quirky memory.)

I guess this is my new fact for the day! I'm just surprised that there's such a big difference between the spelling taught in the schools where "equipt" is considered correct and the publishing industry of the same country or countries.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
Equipt is not a typo; it's simply not American standard English. It is, however, the way I was taught to spell the word and I HATE the "proper" spelling with hateful hatey hatred.

Per Merriam-Webster, "Equipt" is a past participle of "Equip"'

Per which Merriam-Webster? My M-W Collegiate 11th edition does not list it, nor does the online version.
absitinvidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
Draíocht
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Draíocht is on a distinguished road
I hadn't heard it before either, but my sister is still in school and it's in one of her reading books. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure. ~ Oliver Herford
Draíocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #16
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Which country?

Is it a book that teaches English or American children how to read or write English, or is it not a school text book but a book she has to read for interest like, say, a novel or a translation of a novel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draíocht View Post
I hadn't heard it before either, but my sister is still in school and it's in one of her reading books. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #17
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was taught in North Texas, and have since learned that many of our books used outdated spellings, such as equipt (and equpitment). The word is in the unabridged version of M-W

Quote:
Definition of EQUIPT

past participle of equip

Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: Equisetaceae
Previous Word in the Dictionary: equiprobable
All Words Near: equipt

This word doesn't usually appear in our free dictionary, but the definition from our premium Unabridged Dictionary is offered here on a limited basis. Note that some information is displayed differently in the Unabridged.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equipt

(Incidentally, my poor editor's hit the point of "Just spell it how you were taught, and we'll straighten it out in copyedits" from all the "learnt, leapt, burnt, dreamt, grey, etc. I'd throw her a "draughty room", but I think she might faint )

Last edited by Cyia; 03-07-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

In Cyia's defence there are a few references to it. Wiktionary has it down as archaic use... It might be why people don't see it that often, why editors might not like it?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/equipt

http://www.memidex.com/equipt

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/equipt

Synonym.net

http://www.synonyms.net/synonym/equipped

I have to admit I didn't consider it as incorrect. *Shrugs* Can't for the life of me think where I picked it up from as 'equipt', though. Strange....

Goodreads

Last edited by Fallen; 03-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #19
Captcha
Hmmm... I think I disagree.

Captcha has a double-platinum reputationCaptcha has a double-platinum reputationCaptcha has a double-platinum reputationCaptcha has a double-platinum reputationCaptcha has a double-platinum reputationCaptcha has a double-platinum reputationCaptcha has a double-platinum reputation
I've seen it. I'm not sure where, but I'm thinking maybe in fantasy novels, to lend an archaic air to things? But that might not be accurate.

Google Ngram confirms that it's archaic, but still in some use... http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph...0&smoothing=50

...apparently things went to hell for 'equipt' in 1750 - wonder what caused that?
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #20
Fallen
Playing with Knaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
I've seen it. I'm not sure where, but I'm thinking maybe in fantasy novels, to lend an archaic air to things? But that might not be accurate.

Google Ngram confirms that it's archaic, but still in some use... http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph...0&smoothing=50

...apparently things went to hell for 'equipt' in 1750 - wonder what caused that?
Love that link!!! And looking at it Brit Eng usage fell 1750, American Eng slightly later (1840s). Brit Eng had first usage, but it looks like American Eng has a slightly higher usage than us today(ish).

Still like to know how the alternative came about, though.

And I'm not looking at word statistics at 1am Sunday morning, cause that would be really... sad....

Goodreads

Last edited by Fallen; 03-11-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #21
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
I was taught in North Texas, and have since learned that many of our books used outdated spellings, such as equipt (and equpitment). The word is in the unabridged version of M-W

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equipt

(Incidentally, my poor editor's hit the point of "Just spell it how you were taught, and we'll straighten it out in copyedits" from all the "learnt, leapt, burnt, dreamt, grey, etc. I'd throw her a "draughty room", but I think she might faint )
Draught to me only refers to beer that is drawn from the keg, or maybe refering to horses.