Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Western
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #101
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
PC&E regulars gave us a bunch of votes for the poetry contest and some very high praise... So yes, my post may be a tad tongue in cheek, but they were simply great readers and people and I do not doubt that some will vote here as well!

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Sadly, the forum moderator is too deep into his scotch tonight to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #102
Scribe4264
Banned

Scribe4264 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffeehead View Post
Well, for my two bits...

The purpose of the whole thing was to promote the genre... I presume writers need readers, so I say lasso the moon and bring them all aboard...
Ditto here!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #103
teacher
Still weary, still wandering

teacher is a splendid one to beholdteacher is a splendid one to beholdteacher is a splendid one to behold
I voted in the poetry thread after getting PMed. I took part in the western thread after getting PMed. So I would say that the amount of participants and voters are thanks to the PMs. It made it more personal and made me feel my story/vote was worth something.

I also felt I should give something back to AW after all the useful crits they've given me over the past two years. So PMs for me worked most.

Thanks to Harry for encouraging me to write my first ever western. I wonder how many writers in this competition have never written a western.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #104
TypoToffee
practical experience, FTW

TypoToffee is a shiny, shiny jewelTypoToffee is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher View Post

Thanks to Harry for encouraging me to write my first ever western. I wonder how many writers in this competition have never written a western.
Raises hand...

Writer of naughtiness and many things wicked
Old 03-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #105
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I voted in the poetry thread after getting PMed. I took part in the western thread after getting PMed. So I would say that the amount of participants and voters are thanks to the PMs. It made it more personal and made me feel my story/vote was worth something.
A personal note of thanks from me. It's not easy to sit and send out PM's to people that I may have never spoken to - in hopes that I might attract their attention to a contest. Even a worthwhile contest filled with AW writers and imagination and great writing... It really does come down to this Community, and what we make it, and it responses like yours really helps to remind me why we're here.

If it wasn't for AW, I would not write the way I do now, and that's a debt I owe a few hundred people here.

Thank you again.

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Sadly, the forum moderator is too deep into his scotch tonight to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #106
archerjoe

archerjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Like some others, it was my first western. I think the challenge of the contest appeals to people who might not venture into a new genre. It also might make people shy away. In my case, I had an idea and decided to saddle up and go for it.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #107
Al Stevens

Al Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
I wonder how many writers in this competition have never written a western.
It was my first western.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #108
Dermit
Sagest of all frogs

Dermit is well-respected
Yep, first western.

And honestly, if I place in the top three I'm going to be annoyed. Not even in the same ballpark as some of this stuff.

Strange how that doesn't really bother me :P

Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #109
BAY

BAY is a shiny, shiny jewelBAY is a shiny, shiny jewel
My first western and my first short story. I learned a lot from it and have new respect for both genre and length.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #110
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
I don't think this was my first western (I'm not sure on that count), but it was my first real short story.

Regardless of the outcome, I feel honored to be included in the thread, even if by comparison my effort looks less than...stellar.

But I had fun writing it. I had even more fun reading all the other entries, so it's a win all the way around.

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #111
orion_mk3
Ne Cede Malis

orion_mk3 is a glorious beacon of lightorion_mk3 is a glorious beacon of light
I've dinked around with the form on occasion, but it was my first completed western.
Excerpts from Nonexistent Books - my literary blog and daily writing exercise all rolled up into one! Short sections of books that don't (and perhaps shouldn't) exist. Like what you see? Purchase a print or ebook version!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #112
brad_b
Knight Errant

brad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I wonder how many writers in this competition have never written a western.
First time I've taken a shot at a Western, and a short story - it felt good.

"Live and dream of a brighter tomorrow, but live today so as to fulfill that tomorrow."

"Not hammer strokes, but dance of the water sings the pebbles into perfection." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Still round the corner there may wait,
A new road, or a secret gate." - J.R.R. Tolkien

A Knight's Journey Into Doom Quest
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #113
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
If it wasn't for AW, I would not write the way I do now, and that's a debt I owe a few hundred people here.

Thank you again.
Quoted because Kelly said it better than I ever could.

This was the first story I wrote specifically as a western. I'd written others that took place in the west, but fitting a western theme was not the point of that story.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #114
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
It was the first western I've ever written, but not my first short story. I have about 5 other stories in this area of length, and shorter.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #115
Kweei
Expert Procrastinator

Kweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputation
Quote:

I also felt I should give something back to AW after all the useful crits they've given me over the past two years. So PMs for me worked most.

This. I didn't even know about the poetry contest until I got a PM. I voted as soon as I could. I'll be voting in the western contest soon-ish, though I'm a participant. My first attempt at a western. I think I may try more.

Song of the Swallow

Me: Livejournal Twitter Blog Facebook Google+

Some people get plot bunnies. I get zombie plot goats that are unkillable. Tru Fax.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #116
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've narrowed it down to seven. Do I get a prize?

PS: I don't read much Western (I don't think it's big down here) but I know good writing, so that's what I'll base my final score on.

Last edited by mccardey; 03-04-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #117
orion_mk3
Ne Cede Malis

orion_mk3 is a glorious beacon of lightorion_mk3 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
I don't read much Western (I don't think it's big down here)
It should be!
Excerpts from Nonexistent Books - my literary blog and daily writing exercise all rolled up into one! Short sections of books that don't (and perhaps shouldn't) exist. Like what you see? Purchase a print or ebook version!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #118
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion_mk3 View Post
Thank you for that - I liked the witchetty grubs, especially...

I was thinking though, Westerns might well be big down here - I'm speaking from total ignorance. Must find out!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #119
Scribe4264
Banned

Scribe4264 is on a distinguished road
My first western and first attempt to write a story in under 1,500 words.

And I got the PM to vote in the Poetry contest but by the time I got it - I was away for a few days - there was only a few scant hours left and not enough time to try to read and vote and do justice to the efforts of the writers involved.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #120
FrankiiGii

FrankiiGii is well-respected
I have to say when I first started reading this thread I thought people were just being modest. But I'm only to story 16 and I'm completely blown away. I have a favorite at the moment but my list has 6 stories on it, I think. This round Ink just picking stories that I confect with and that I find technically good. But yeah, comparatively, not feeling so hot on mine. I'm amazed at the flow of some of these, they're outstanding!

I probably wouldn't have participated in this contest ifi hadn't been invited to the group. I've never written Western before so I just don't think it would have occurred to me to look into it. I definitely enjoyed it though. Gave me a rate for more, which is saying something because I'm assumed to say I was a bit of a snob about it. I think I had convinced myself that Westerns were always very dry.

Well my two year old has a nasty case of the flu, so I'm reading as I get a few minutes here and there. Great stuff!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #121
Al Stevens

Al Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolness
When I was a boy, I read all the Zane Grey books that my grandfather had. I don't remember anything about them, though, so today I went to gutenberg.org and downloaded several to read on my iPad. It will be interesting to see whether these old works in any way influenced the ones submitted here.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #122
teacher
Still weary, still wandering

teacher is a splendid one to beholdteacher is a splendid one to beholdteacher is a splendid one to behold
My votes are in. It came down to likeability. Another day, I could change my mind. Quality stories all round. Now I don't care if I come last, not with the quality I've seen here.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #123
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm halfway through and I have 6 I am going to go back and read again, and two (perhaps three) that I think are frontrunners.

In all honesty, I thought my story was really good until I held it up against the competition. Now I'm not so sure it's as great as I thought it was. But it's like being dumber than Einstein--no great surprise and no reason to be embarrassed either.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #124
KatieJ
I think I'm back....

KatieJ is a glorious beacon of lightKatieJ is a glorious beacon of lightKatieJ is a glorious beacon of light
It was my first western and my first short story, I think it will be just cool to see my name in amongst the submitters.

Kelly, I'll PM you, but I can help send out PMs to the masses, if you still need help.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #125
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*sigh* so...minor update from me. Thanks for KatieJ for the reminder that I might want to check in.

I didn't enter the contest like I wanted but I feel I have a good reason.

I couldn't wrangle a 1k story out of my idea. I wrote and tried and wrote and tried and 9k later I'd given up trying to enter the contest.

In good news, I'm coming along nicely on a small story (short story? we'll see when I get to the end and start trimming) that fell out of an idea that I was going to develop. So, I didn't give up!

I couldn't stop once I got started. :/

I'll make sure to read and vote, though! Someone should win those nifty prizes!

Can I still hang out with new cool western friends?
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
Closed Thread