Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #51
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
I wonder how many women found Tarzan to be a romance?

And Jane never-ever looked like Bo Derek...
NO. Jane was beautiful. Like Maureen o'sullivan.

And romance just meant it was a prose narrative that had adventures and heroic exploits, thus an Arthurian Romance. Back then it didn't mean a Harlequin with Fabio on the cover.

Just as a comedy didn't necessarily mean it was a laugh riot, just that it had a happy ending.

ďI love words but I donít like strange ones. You donít understand them and they donít understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know Ďem the minute you see Ďem.Ē -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #52
Danika
Stuck in the middle with you

Danika is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
And . . . I just finished my review. Here it is: http://hardcorenerdity.com/2012/03/0...ed=1&ids=16775

Now it's time for me to turn in. Oy.
That was a fantastic review, very informative and fair.
Danika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #53
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOtter View Post
Is that J. Allen St. John?
I'm not sure as I could never find credit for the artwork. It could well be as it fits his style and the time period...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #54
thothguard51

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
NO. Jane was beautiful. Like Maureen o'sullivan.
Yes she was and Maureen O' Sullivan was a natural beauty. Not to say Bo is not...

I was watching an interview from O' Sullivan many years ago and she said that in the first 1 or 2 films, she wore a loin cloth with no undergarments. She said the censors went nuts and if you look at later films you can tell she is covered below the loin cloth.

I say that was rather daring for an actress during that time period.

The censors did the same thing with Barbara Eden in her Genie outfit, making her cover her belly button after the first show aired. We can't have naked belly buttons now, can we...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #55
Dave Hardy
Don't let your deal go down,

Dave Hardy is a glorious beacon of lightDave Hardy is a glorious beacon of light
I am going to see John Carter this weekend. I'll let you know what I think when I get back.

BTW, I love the St. John illo. Of course Deja Thoris is a bit overdressed, given what ERB said about Martian apparel customs. Still, St. John rocks. I love the Frazetta covers too, he may not have read any Conan stories (though I think he did) or ERB, but he could nail the spirit of the tales.

In the words of Hasan i-Sabah: Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Out now, from Musa Publishing, Crazy Greta: One woman against Death, Hell, and Heaven. Tales of Phalerus the Achaean: Sword & Sorcery adventure in Bronze Age Greece.

Dave Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #56
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just got back from it. Very good adaptation of the books. Extremely good. I'm remarkably pleased. There was only one visualization that differed extremely from mine, and that's the flyers. But theirs was cool, so I can go with that. The Tharks were just beyond fantastic. Seriously.

My only regret is that we didn't see a banth in action. Ah, well.

I liked that they had minor characters with names (Purefoy's Kantos Kan is one) because this is a city, a culture, so people should have names. And my crew thought that Purefoy was just having too much fun with the part and wasn't wasted at all.

Yeah, definitely hoping for a sequel on this one. Definitely.

Though hopefully Taylor won't have to wear a skirt next time.

We're making plans to nab a few more friends next week and go see it in IMAX-3D.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #57
Tnonk
practical experience, FTW

Location: On the banks of Berwick Bay near the mouth of Bayou Teche.
Tnonk is on a distinguished road
I pulled out my Ballantine edition from 1973 to re-read but it'll have to wait. The movie is at one of the local theaters and I'll be checking it out for the 7:00 feature.

WooHoo, can't wait.

BTW Nick, the cover art for the original you posted is Frank E. Schoonover's artwork.
On a slight derail, has anyone read Lt. Gullivar Jones - His Vacation (also known as Gullivar of Mars) or Phra the Phoenician by Edwin L. Arnold?

I read a story on E.R. Burrough's years ago that said these novels probably influenced his Barsoom series.
I've read Gullivar and it's pretty good, he gets to Mars in a flying carpet, but I've never read Phra.
OK, derail over.

I'll let you know my thoughts on the movie later tonight.

Adrian

WIP - L.I.M./ Lincoln Island
8 Chapters / 43,000 words (so far)
Back to Work on it!
Tnonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #58
Toothpaste
OUTCAST is out now!!!!

Toothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danika View Post
That was a fantastic review, very informative and fair.
Thank you so much!

DeleyanLee - very glad you enjoyed it .

My Website,
Follow Me On Twitter!

Toothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #59
thothguard51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnonk View Post
BTW Nick, the cover art for the original you posted is Frank E. Schoonover's artwork.

Adrian
Yes, yes it is. Now that I had a name I googled his artwork and sure enough, there the picture was. Looks like he did some Prince Valiant Work as well...

Thanks for the confirmation as I now have a name to go with the artwork... I always like giving the artist their credit when I post stuff from my collection...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony

Last edited by thothguard51; 03-10-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #60
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
fyi, Project Gutenberg has a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs books available...

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sear...rice+burroughs

Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #61
thothguard51

Amazon also has a lot of ER Burroughs books, For free. No covers of scantly dressed women or men though.

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #62
Tnonk

I just returned from seeing it in 3D, and although I'm not a big 3D movie fan, the movie itself was fantastic.

Any fan of the John Carter/Barsoom series owes it to themselves to go see this film.

I'm not very good at reviews, but I'll give it a shot.

The CGI is very well done & I have to echo DeleyanLee on the Tharks, they are seriously effective.
I was able to pick out a lot of story elements but I have to admit my John Carter literary fix is way over due. The story seemed right and the elements that I recognized as new didn't detract from the overall effect at all.

I do have to say that I felt the scene with the white apes seemed a little overdone to me. I don't think Burroughs had the apes as the large monsters they were portrayed as. Not being overly critical but I just thought it was a bit of a stretch.
There were a few areas that were drawn out some but overall the movie was extremely satisfying.
The airships were different from what I had envisioned and had equated to the cover art of some of the books, such as the Gods of Mars cover by D'Achille.
However, the movie airships were very well done and worked quite well.

No disappointments for me.
I think Disney has an opportunity to turn this into a lucrative franchise and the ending left no doubt as to a sequel (to me at least). I hope this film is successful enough to convince Disney to continue.

Toothpaste's review was excellent - very fair and spot on.

Now, I am definitely going to re-read A Princess of Mars this weekend. It'll be a good fix for me with the new images I can visualize as I'm reading. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the heads up on the free books at Gutenberg and Amazon. I have all but three of Burroughs works so I'll have to check to see if the ones I'm missing are online.

Adrian

Back to Work on it!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #63
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
On a slight derail, has anyone read Lt. Gullivar Jones - His Vacation (also known as Gullivar of Mars) or Phra the Phoenician by Edwin L. Arnold?

I read a story on E.R. Burrough's years ago that said these novels probably influenced his Barsoom series.
I've read Gullivar and it's pretty good, he gets to Mars in a flying carpet, but I've never read Phra.
OK, derail over.

I'll let you know my thoughts on the movie later tonight.

Adrian
Gullivar and John Carter appear together in one of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen stories.

It's also likely Burroughs was influenced by Madame Blavatsky's Theosophy. Like Scientology, it was a newly-synthesized sort-of religion with a space opera backstory (under a lot of ancient, pseudo-ancient Eastern and pseudo-Eastern mystical philosophy and occult mystical mystic misty musty mysticism). The "Secret Doctrine" described seven originally separate human races, sounding a lot like the history of the Martian races in A Princess of Mars.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #64
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
And . . . I just finished my review. Here it is: http://hardcorenerdity.com/2012/03/0...ed=1&ids=16775

Now it's time for me to turn in. Oy.
Looking forward to reading it, but right now I think your site is down, Dude.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #65
SirOtter
Il Cavaliere Marino

SirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for President
Quote:
And SirOtter smacks himself in the forehead. I'd forgotten Schoonover did that one.

I've read both the Arnold books. Gullivar isn't bad, although it doesn't have the frenetic pace of a Burroughs book. Phra really drags, though. It was tough getting though it.
SirOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #66
Toothpaste
OUTCAST is out now!!!!

Toothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
Yeah I know. We're having server problems. I'll come back and let you know when it's up.

Sucks 'cause our team is at the Toronto ComiCon this weekend and we kind of need to post about it and stuff . . . grumble grumble.

My Website,
Follow Me On Twitter!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #67
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yes she was and Maureen O' Sullivan was a natural beauty. Not to say Bo is not...

I was watching an interview from O' Sullivan many years ago and she said that in the first 1 or 2 films, she wore a loin cloth with no undergarments. She said the censors went nuts and if you look at later films you can tell she is covered below the loin cloth.

I say that was rather daring for an actress during that time period.

The censors did the same thing with Barbara Eden in her Genie outfit, making her cover her belly button after the first show aired. We can't have naked belly buttons now, can we...
I don't think they had censors for the first 2 films. The prudishness came later.

Thus the nude river swim. That's not Maureen though, but an Olympic swimmer.

ďI love words but I donít like strange ones. You donít understand them and they donít understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know Ďem the minute you see Ďem.Ē -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #68
Toothpaste
OUTCAST is out now!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
And the site (and review) is back up finally: http://hardcorenerdity.com/2012/03/0...ed=1&ids=16775

My Website,
Follow Me On Twitter!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #69
thothguard51

Quote:

I do have to say that I felt the scene with the white apes seemed a little overdone to me. I don't think Burroughs had the apes as the large monsters they were portrayed as. Not being overly critical but I just thought it was a bit of a stretch.

Adrian
Speaking of white apes, here is a poster done by Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell.

You can always tell Bells work because her women are buffer than most of the men...

Hope you enjoy...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #70
thothguard51

I would also like to mention to anyone who has not read the John Carter on Mars series, they are written in a narrative style that many publishers today feel is not publishable. I think they are full of crap...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #71
Tnonk

Quote:
Speaking of white apes, here is a poster done by Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell.

You can always tell Bells work because her women are buffer than most of the men...

Hope you enjoy...
I really like Vallejo & Bells work, I have a number of paperback with their artwork. Very distinctive, I've purchased a number of paperbacks on the strength of their cover art alone.

Back to Work on it!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #72
Tnonk

Quote:
I would also like to mention to anyone who has not read the John Carter on Mars series, they are written in a narrative style that many publishers today feel is not publishable. I think they are full of crap...
I agree. The narrative style is why I love Burroughs work, it's one of the reasons I write.
I'm a big fan of the 'pulp' style writing (like Doc Savage, Avenger, Spirit, etc.) I understand the writings archaic & dated but the stories are great.

Adrian

Back to Work on it!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #73
SirOtter
Il Cavaliere Marino

SirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for President
Just saw it. It was virtually the same movie I saw in my mind's eye when I read the book over forty years ago. It's the John Carter movie I've been waiting for since I was twelve. And Lynn Collins IS the Incomparable Dejah Thoris. Damn well done.
SirOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #74
maxmordon
奔馬

maxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaxmordon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned John Carter's appearance on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOtter View Post
Just saw it. It was virtually the same movie I saw in my mind's eye when I read the book over forty years ago. It's the John Carter movie I've been waiting for since I was twelve. And Lynn Collins IS the Incomparable Dejah Thoris. Damn well done.
You know, the only thing that truly scares me about death is incompleteness. To leave this world missing so much wonderful books and movies not yet made, or worst, made but I never saw.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #75
thothguard51

Just FYI...the Scifi channel is playing the Princess of Mars movie with Traci Lords. Trying to capitalize on the John Carter movie right now...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony