Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Draíocht
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Draíocht is on a distinguished road
Request for partial.

I received a request for the first 50 pages of my ms, however, the chapter ends on a cliffhanger at page 53, and I think it packs a punch that will entice the reader to want to read the next chapter. Is it rude of me to send 53 pages instead of 50 to the agent?
Draíocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I say just send the 3 extra pages.
MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
happywritermom
practical experience, FTW

happywritermom is a glorious beacon of lighthappywritermom is a glorious beacon of lighthappywritermom is a glorious beacon of light
I would send 53 with a note that page 53 is a more natural cut-off point. I would think most agents would be appreciative of that.
happywritermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
53 pages should be fine. I don't know that you need to include a note--it'll be clear to the agent that you didn't want to cut off mid-scene.

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
jclarkdawe
Feeling lucky, Query?

jclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It doesn't matter whether you send 50 pages or 53. Reality is that the agent will be deciding many pages before this whether they want to see more or not. They just want enough pages to get a feel for your book.

So don't worry about it.

And if you do send 53, don't send a note.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

GEORGE'S STORY MORTON'S FORK Let's see how many agents I can catch with the query

THE NEXT STEP ASHES TO ASHES INTO THE VALLEY (48,00079,000 words) Need to up my game.

THE PICTURE Might be my next project.
jclarkdawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
amschilling
practical experience, FTW

amschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admiration
Agree with the others--send the 53 pages and don't worry about a note.

Congrats on the request and good luck!

Help me. Save me. Kill me. Do it. In his mind, they’re all the same. - CREEP

Web Serial | Facebook | Twitter

TOXIC: YA Urban Fantasy web serial - now available!

GRENDEL: Dark Fantasy (Querying)
CREEP: Dark Fantasy (waiting for edits)
ALEXI'S GHOST: YA Gothic (WIP)
DAGDA'S CAULDRON: Contemp. Fantasy (Researching)
amschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm just putting in my 2 cents--I agree with the others. Send in the 53 pp. No added comment necessary.

(And it's great your query generated a request for a partial )

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Draíocht

Thanks all. Sent the 53 pages. Will have to wait and see now.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
OohLaLaura
figuring it all out

OohLaLaura is on a distinguished road
I'd send the 53 pages, too.
OohLaLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Won't add any more other than to say: "Good luck!"

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Draíocht

Thanks all! Rejected on partial

Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure. ~ Oliver Herford
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draíocht View Post
Thanks all! Rejected on partial
Yep, that happens.

If they provided criticism you should take a long hard look at what they said. If not it's a good idea to find yourself a good beta or post some work on SYW to see if there's anything glaring that needs fixing. Treat it as a learning experience and a chance to improve your skills.