Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #5551
amlptj
Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
AWWWWW your really sweet! She's a lucky woman!
WiP Editing first book FREAKs

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller
Rewrite -1/2 done On Hold

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Legend of a Freak (Blog!)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #5552
bluntforcetrauma
Esquire

bluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Greg, keep in mind there are tens of thousands of women in Broken Arrow. If you allow yourself to worry over losing her, subconsciously, you'll make boo-boos. Just relax, don't overdo it and have fun. If you can make a girl laugh by telling her a cute joke, that'll score extra points. Girls don't want to be followed around like you're a puppy. Have confidence in yourself. That goes way far. Getting women is easy--keeping them takes playing it cool but not frigid and giving her a real fun time.

(Ecclesiastes 9:16)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #5553
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntforcetrauma View Post
Just relax, don't overdo it and have fun.
This...

Quote:
Have confidence in yourself. That goes way far.
...practically equals this.

Blunt has nailed it.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #5554
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So...what do you suppose the ratio of humans to vampires is?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #5555
CDaniel
Writing for the brand

CDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*humming*

I really need to wash my hands. Where's some soap?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #5556
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDaniel View Post
*humming*

I really need to wash my hands.
Ew! Why?
Quote:
Where's some soap?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #5557
CDaniel
Writing for the brand

CDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCDaniel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I never knew a bar of soap to sprout legs and walk away.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #5558
soapdish
writing

I'm special that way?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #5559
CDaniel
Writing for the brand

Yeah. I'll say.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #5560
soapdish
writing

That better not be sarcasm behind that wink, Cowboy.

Or you and I are going to have words.

And by words, I mean:

Old 04-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #5561
amlptj
Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!

amlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamlptj is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
WiP Editing first book FREAKs

Unsung Zeros
Psychological Thriller
Rewrite -1/2 done On Hold

The Amnesia Journey
YA Fantasy

RBSL
Contemp/romantic comedy

Legend of a Freak (Blog!)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #5562
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdish View Post
So...what do you suppose the ratio of humans to vampires is?

Depends.

But to really give you something to ponder, do you know the number of people who just go missing every year? The ones who just disappear, poof, never to be heard or seen from again?

Where do you suppose they go, hmmm?

Supernatural things need to eat, too.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #5563
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am, unfortunately, much more likely to underdo things most of the time. Blunt, there may be tens of thousands here, but none I've ever met comes close to this one (besides, if they're over the age of 21, hell, make that 18, they're married or have a boyfriend already - it appears women stay single here about as long as it takes for someone to look at them with interest).

Don't worry. I'm not despairing. Something tells me she'll come around. I just can't keep playing things as cooly as I have been and that's really difficult for me. I can write about powerful emotions and scenes between characters, but when it comes to real life I sometimes feel distanced from from emotions.

I am reminded of the Romulan Admiral who, after asking Capt. Picard why Picard did not have a wife and family was told that Picard had been too busy with his career remarked something to the effect "You have been too busy with the things that do not matter".

I've spent decades behind these walls I built to keep from getting hurt, and every time I got hurt again I strengthened those walls again. The wife of a friend of mine once remarked I was one of the emotionally coldest man she'd ever met.

It's just going to take me a little time to tear down a section of those walls.

Which brings us around to the April prompt for Soapie's Elements thread. Thus far, we've had one response put up in SYW. Moral ambiguity and moral distance and emotional coldness are all parts of the same coin - a character who can distance or even completely separate themselves from the emotional effects of what they're doing. There's a certain amount of sociopathy in that kind of distancing. That could be an interesting tack at moral ambiguity - a character who is, essentially, schizophrenic, one person on the outside who appears to be warm and friendly and another psychologically who is incapable of feeling or expressing himself or herself (a female Dexter?) the way other humans do.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #5564
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Soapie, about 1 in 100 thousand, maybe a but less. If vampires were more prevalent, or werewolves for that matter, we'd hear a lot more about bloodless, or bloody corpses being found in certain areas.

Of course, crime scenes being what they are, and police being who they are, certain details of certain crime scenes might never be revealed at all even if they're not, necessarily, covered up or swept under the evidentiary carpet by the police or the forensic investigators.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #5565
CDaniel
Writing for the brand

Quote:
That better not be sarcasm behind that wink, Cowboy.

Or you and I are going to have words.

And by words, I mean:
I have a bucket of water and ain't afraid to use it
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #5566
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
do you know the number of people who just go missing every year? The ones who just disappear, poof, never to be heard or seen from again?
No. How many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
Which brings us around to the April prompt for Soapie's Elements thread. Thus far, we've had one response put up in SYW.
Oh, I haven't seen it. I'll go look this weekend.

Quote:
Moral ambiguity and moral distance and emotional coldness are all parts of the same coin - a character who can distance or even completely separate themselves from the emotional effects of what they're doing. There's a certain amount of sociopathy in that kind of distancing. That could be an interesting tack at moral ambiguity - a character who is, essentially, schizophrenic, one person on the outside who appears to be warm and friendly and another psychologically who is incapable of feeling or expressing himself or herself (a female Dexter?) the way other humans do.
I've been thinking on this a lot. I am really hoping to have something pulled together. I keep discovering other problems with the scenes that might fit the prompt.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #5567
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Soapie, about 1 in 100 thousand, maybe a but less.
Awesome. I can work with this. Thanks, Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDaniel View Post
I have a bucket of water and ain't afraid to use it
You play dirty.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #5568
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
No. How many?
On average, a couple thousand people per day go missing.

Seriously.

ETA: Of those, many later turn up, so if you're after how many just vanish, current government estimates are tens of thousands under "suspicious circumstances." And then there are those that just vanish, period.

FleasTwits
Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #5569
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

To further add to that:

Quote:
More than 40,000 sets of human remains that cannot be identified through conventional means are held in the evidence rooms of medical examiners throughout the country
And that was five years ago.

FleasTwits
Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #5570
soapdish
writing

Quote:
On average, a couple thousand people per day go missing.

Seriously.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #5571
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

Quote:
Dawn - 4:30am-7am
[...]
Witching Hour - 12am-1am
Wolf's Hour - 3am-4am
Two questions:

What happened to the two hours from 1 AM - 3 AM?

And slightly more worryingly, what about the half an hour between 4 and 4:30 AM???

FleasTwits
Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #5572
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Two questions:

What happened to the two hours from 1 AM - 3 AM?

And slightly more worryingly, what about the half an hour between 4 and 4:30 AM???

And I'd like to add that the "witching hour" is different when you have little ones. It's usually 6pm to around 8pm.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #5573
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

Quote:
And I'd like to add that the "witching hour" is different when you have little ones. It's usually 6pm to around 8pm.
Is that more like the mischief hour, then?

FleasTwits
Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #5574
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Is that more like the mischief hour, then?

No...it's more like the screaming, writhing, inconsolable, spitting, fire breathing, puking, head spinning hour.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #5575
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

That's not a witching hour, that's a "Call the Priest for an Exorcism" Hour.

FleasTwits
Closed Thread