Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #101
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Bleh!

Speaking of jobs, got called in to wash dishes for the V-Day rush at the restaurant int he hotel. Didn't manage to get back to the WIP like I thought I might.

I probably would've just watched cartoons anyway.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #102
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
Good morning!

900 words of horror WIP bashed off this morning in an early-morning Starbucks session.

I was feeling rather tired, so I don't know if they were good words. But it's draft 1, so plenty of time to fix later...

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #103
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
I'm going to add my vote to the island retreat. New story is set in Okanagan in Canada and I would so love to just get a cabin or something on the lake and just hide away, writing, for a few months. But then to do that I need to publish something and have a bit of money to afford a cabin. And stop reading Stephen King because I know what happens to writers who go on retreats now...

Anyway, only a few words last night, not feeling well, cold and all. Off for three days though after tonight and intend to do more.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #104
DoctorK
I'm not a Dr., I'm a baseball fan.

DoctorK is well-respected
560 words at lunchtime today. Another late meeting so that'll be all for today.

WIP: The Unit Moving Target, a contemporary MG mystery/thriller.

DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #105
speirbhean
wishing I was reading

speirbhean has a spectacular aura
Editing. Hope to get submission off to agent next week
speirbhean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #106
Logan!
practical experience, FTW

Logan! is on a distinguished road
Haven't done much actual writing, but I've gotten a lot of plotting done on my outline recently. Figuring things out relieves a lot of my anxieties and keeps bringing "The End" closer and closer.
Logan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #107
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I had something around 1200 today, all new, and yesterday somewhere around 600 new, and a bit of a scene that was spliced and what not around. I also cut about 800 of an old version of the scene I'm rewriting, but I came out ahead by a fair bit so I'm cool with that.

Started the next scene and really like the beginning of this one so far. I'm usually have a hard time with scene beginnings.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #108
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
Good for y'all. I'm dealing with some distractions. No words, but the house is cleaner.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #109
kaitie

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My doggies have been running around outside and getting muddy. I'll trade you!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #110
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did some little bits of editing today. I'll take it.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #111
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Did about 7 pages of a screenplay and hate it. Plotted a bit, and began again on the short story because I don't like the beginning, but don't like the new beginning either. So a fair few words but none of them of any use.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #112
DocBrown

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Alas, been a bit under the weather the last couple of days. No real excuse, I suppose. I still managed to go to work.
In an impactful way

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #113
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've just been editing my Indian land title stuff, so not any words to speak of.

Kaitie, I'm sure your agent will love it.

And Ken, love your avi! Ken... with the laaaaadieees.
Ken's got groupies, Ken's got groupies...

HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #114
DoctorK

I only got about 250 in. I'll make up for that this weekend though.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #115
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
I'm in a strange state. I sat down late last night and wrote about 850 words on how I feel about Syria. Nothing to do with my books. Then I sat down this morning and wrote 1100 on EXACTLY how I feel about a family issue--that one might be later fodder for a subplot.

So almost 2000 words, but no real productivity on my current projects.

Go figure
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #116
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
I've just been editing my Indian land title stuff, so not any words to speak of.

Kaitie, I'm sure your agent will love it.

And Ken, love your avi! Ken... with the laaaaadieees.
Ken's got groupies, Ken's got groupies...
Well, that would be nice, except for the fact that they're my cousins. (And not the kissin' kind.)

I'm with you, Doc. No words for me either over the past couple of days. Only excuse for me is that by the time I get home from the day job I'm mentally exhausted. Hoping to get some big wordage this weekend. Even though I have no words to show, I have some good plottage done.

Available on Amazon - Kindle and Paperback

Ken Hoss - Author
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #117
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No words for me today either. My dad has had a bad few days (Alzheimers) and I've been sitting with him. Mentally drained. Brain is on go-slow and I see wine and chocolate in my future - and lots of it.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #118
kaitie

Sorry about your dad, Muse.

I had 300 yesterday. I usually have time while I'm tutoring before class to get some words in, but I had four students come in yesterday and only got about twenty minutes to write.

If I can work it out today to free up my afternoon I should be able to get a fair amount done, though, so I'm going to aim high today.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #119
Zelenka
Going home!

Sorry to hear that, Muse. Hugs.

Started typing a new draft of the sci-fi-mystery story. 802 words so far but it's working far better than before. And my MC finally seems to like his name.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #120
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
No words for me today either. My dad has had a bad few days (Alzheimers) and I've been sitting with him. Mentally drained. Brain is on go-slow and I see wine and chocolate in my future - and lots of it.
I'm sorry he's having a bad time of it.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #121
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post

Sorry to hear that about your Dad. I know it can't be easy. Take it easy on the chocolate, but go heavy on the wine. Chin up.

Available on Amazon - Kindle and Paperback

Ken Hoss - Author
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #122
DocBrown

Muse, I'm with Ken.

Wine > Chocolate

During these times.

I will add the caveat that you should share with some friends since they will cheer you up as the wine relaxes you.
In an impactful way

Old 02-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #123
Zelenka
Going home!

2,339 of the short story so far. It's not finished but it's now nearly 1am, so it can wait 'til morning.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #124
DoctorK

900 today, making up for the 250 from yesterday and pushing me closer to the end of Act 1 (major disaster #1). Making myself an Arnold Palmer (half iced-tea, half lemonade) rather than a martini was probably responsible for a great deal of that output. Otherwise I would have been too sleepy...

Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #125
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that about your Dad. I know it can't be easy. Take it easy on the chocolate, but go heavy on the wine. Chin up.
Quote:
Muse, I'm with Ken.

Wine > Chocolate

During these times.

I will add the caveat that you should share with some friends since they will cheer you up as the wine relaxes you.
Thanks Doc and Ken. So that's heavy on wine and friends, light on the chocolate? Sounds doable.

Woke early this morning and managed to bash out almost 700 words. Whoo-hoo!
muse is offline   Reply With Quote