Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Editor
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Ayoba
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Ayoba is on a distinguished road
List of editors and the books they've edited anywhere?

The proposal for my first book is about to go out on submission (yay!!!), and my agent has sent me the sub list of editors and houses he'll be sending to. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a web site where I could search for editors and what authors and books they've edited. I subscribe to Publishers Marketplace, and can search through there for the ones that get posted. But I'm just wondering if there's anyplace else I could look. Thoughts?

This is mostly just for my information, and to keep me from going utterly mad while we wait to hear if any editors are interested. It's not like I'm going to ring up the editors and say, please please buy my book! Not yet, anyway...

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Ayoba; 01-31-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Ayoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Ayoba
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Ayoba is on a distinguished road
And apologies for the weird winky face alongside this post. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing here...
Ayoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ayoba, you can edit that winking face out of your post if you want to.

I'm not sure that such a list exists: but ask your agent. She'll know who they've worked with, and on which books: that information will play a big part in her choosing where to send your submission.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Sunnyside
On to the next one.

Sunnyside has a spectacular auraSunnyside has a spectacular aura
Wow, that's a great question! I'm with Old Hack -- I don't believe such a list exists, either --- but your agent probably knows titles the editor he's subbing to has worked on.

Part of your agent's job is getting to know different editors from different houses --- and if he's a particularly good agent (and mine is), he'll even know different editors at each particular house so he's got a feel for their tastes and quirks. That way he's not just submitting blindly to, say, Tor, but rather to an editor at Tor he believes is a good fit for you. Which is pretty awesome.

My agent did this for me on both my books---because he knows not only how I write, but he also knows how I work, so when he submitted to publishers, he also went straight to particular editors with whom he thought I might fit.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying: ask your agent. I would bet he can tell you what's on the resumes of the editors he's subbing you to.

Washington Irving (Arcade, 2008)
Jim Henson: The Biography (Ballantine, 2013)

"An absolute must-read!" -- Neil Patrick Harris
"Illuminating." -- The Atlantic
"Insightful." -- Parade
"An exhaustive work that is never exhausting." -- The New York Times
"Highly readable." -- Wall Street Journal
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
Sometimes Googling the editor will turn up blogs by that editor and authors he's worked with or a Linked In page, etc. listing same. Doing an Amazon search may turn up books that list the editor in the dedication. Often I find books the editor wrote. The power of Google is amazing.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote