Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Cassie Knight
Romance with Kick-Assitude!

Cassie Knight is on a distinguished road
Henery Press

I just learned of this press.

Henery Press

Anyone know anything?

Oh, and I did a search and nothing came up under Henery.
Cassie Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's logo is sooooo cute!

However, their website is mostly just a placeholder -- they haven't yet published any books or signed any authors. No info about the owner/staff, and the website appears to be registered through a proxy. It appears the owner and/or acquiring editor may be Kendel Flaum, a mystery writer who also sells book cover art.

I can't tell if this is an author with no industry experience who's opening up a press and who will be self publishing through that press, or if this is an established author (repped by Curtis Brown) who has been shoulder tapped to be acquiring editor for a new press. Given the dearth of info about Henery, I'm guessing the former.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post

Given the dearth of info about Henery, I'm guessing the former.
Is that the Henery who got married to the widow next door?

She'd been married seven times before.

/derail

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
HeneryPress
Publishers of Mystery and Romance

HeneryPress is on a distinguished road
Hi Cassie,

Unimportant certainly knows how to research! Henery Press is brand new just this January 2012. We publish ebooks and trade paperbacks in the Mystery and Romance genres. Our first titles will be available in May -- so look for author profiles along with book info sometime in April.

Personally, I've been doing editing and cover design for several years now. While it's been fun, I'm excited to transition into the role of publisher. As such, I've finished my projects and no longer freelance. I've left the cover art design on my personal web for now so folks can see my design esthetic.

Quick note, this is a traditional small press -- so no fees to the author, we pay royalties (40% net on ebooks, 15% net on trade paperback). We handle more than just file conversion, we provide a strong editorial eye and engaging cover artwork. We help the author conceptualize and build their brand, which may entail redesigning their website (or starting one) with their brand as focus, then carrying it through to social networking and promotions.
We also manage sales of each title -- the next book sells the last. It's important to continually monitor each title while putting out the next so we can get them into the reader's hands.

I'm happy to answer questions, either here or through the Henery Press web contact email. And thanks, Unimportant, for the compliment on the logo -- I just love that little chicken!

Cheers,

Kendel
Henery Press
www.henerypress.com
HeneryPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kia ora, Kendel, and welcome to AW!

Can you tell us more about who the "we" is with Henery, and a bit about your editing background? Also, which distributor(s) is Henery working with?
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Cassie Knight

Hi Kendel!

I love to hear about new publishers, especially romance publishers. Along with Unimportant's question, would you mind telling us what net means to you and do you release digital and trade simultaneously or....?

And I agree, the chicken/logo is adorable.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
HeneryPress

Thanks for the interest! The "we" in Henery Press is me and my small staff of three. They help with day-to-day business operations while Iím the one working directly with the authors -- which includes acquisitions and editing.

My editing background is all fiction: mysteries, romance, romantic suspense, and some thrillers (with strong romantic elements). I've been editing for the last six years and I've been privileged to work with some outstanding writers. I'm quite a tough critter; I'm won't let a flat scene go unnoticed or let a weak sentence sneak by. But I don't believe honesty needs to be brutal -- it's all in the words I choose.

Henery Press mainly publishes ebooks, though we publish each title in print form (simultaneously). I want to stress our focus is on ebooks with distribution through the main venues: Amazon, Barnes, iBookstore, Sony, and Kobo. Print distribution is through Amazon and Barnes, and available in the Ingram catalog.

Here's the "net" description straight from our contract: Net sales are defined as the total dollar amount actually received by the Publisher from the wholesale or retail sale of the Work minus the total dollar amount of any returns of the Work.

Like everything else in your writing journey, this is all about what works for you. Whether you sign with an agent, the big six, a small press, or go it alone, find what fits your style, your goals, and your personality.

Hope this helps!

Kendel
Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Cassie Knight

Thanks Kendel. Appreciate you coming back to respond. The fact I'm with Samhain Publishing and Lyrical Press means I'm a fan of digital publishing; however, with a full length book, I can't help but want a hard copy book too. I know, odd in these days but there it is. My friends and I discussed that it's because we are 'old' school, meaning we started our journeys back in the 90s when that was the goal, NY, advances and a printed book. I'm good with two of the three but that third... :-D

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
BarbaraSheridan
*insert catchy phrase here*

BarbaraSheridan has a spectacular auraBarbaraSheridan has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeneryPress View Post
Thanks for the interest! The "we" in Henery Press is me and my small staff of three. They help with day-to-day business operations while Iím the one working directly with the authors -- which includes acquisitions and editing.

My editing background is all fiction: mysteries, romance, romantic suspense, and some thrillers (with strong romantic elements). I've been editing for the last six years and I've been privileged to work with some outstanding writers.
Will you be updating the "About Us" page with a few more specifics, the names of your staff and perhaps a name or two of who you've edited?

BarbaraSheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
FoamyRules
Hamtaro Rules

FoamyRules is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info HeneryPress. The site looks good, but is there more info on your staff? Also will the books be available to purchase on the site?

Last edited by FoamyRules; 02-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.
FoamyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
priceless1
Banned

priceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthood
Hi Henry. Welcome. If you don't have a distribution agreement except with the warehouses, could you please let us know your plans on marketing and promoting your books and ebooks? Do you have established relationships within the mystery and romance genres?
priceless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
HeneryPress

Hello again! Let me try to answer some of these questions.

Our staff wonít be listed on the Henery Press web (names or contact) as thereís no need for anyone to contact them directly.

As for my editing clients, most published authors donít necessarily want the world to know they used an editor (even though most do) and I respect their privacy. And I certainly donít want to create a conflict of interest and associate my previous editing in freelance to my current editing in publishing.

At the end of every book description, weíll include links to the most popular retail sites for purchasing (both trade paperback and digital ebook versions) Ė each link will direct to the buying page for that book, not the retailerís home page. As a small business, I want to keep our focus on acquiring, producing, and promoting strong, entertaining books, not fussing with a retail arm (order processing, fulfillment, customer service, etc.).

Our marketing and promotion efforts will follow current social networking models: Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest. Weíll send out ARCs to review sites, assist with blog tours, and utilize other unique promotional opportunities such as programs and conventions (Iíll be at Malice Domestic this year, so let me know if youíll be there, too!).

Iím a member of SinC and RWA Ė Iíve been involved in several chapters, writerís groups, and local meetings. Iíve been active in these groups, met lots of folks and, not to toot my own horn (but clearly Iím going to), Iím well-respected. Some of my best submissions so far have been from referrals, and Iím quite happy about that!

Bottom line: Iím good at what I do. Iím confident, excited, honest, fair, and determined. I plan to work hard and sell lots of books. If youíre not convinced, I respect that. Bookmark Henery Press and see what weíve got going on over the next 6 to 8 months. And if you like what you see, then by all means, weíd love to see what youíve got.

Thanks for the questions, and the interest!

Cheers,
Kendel
Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
Theo81
Benefactor Member

Theo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Hello again! Let me try to answer some of these questions.

Our staff wonít be listed on the Henery Press web (names or contact) as thereís no need for anyone to contact them directly.

I strongly recommend you list the names of at least some of your staff. It's important for a start-up press to demonstrate they have the relevant industry experience to know what they are doing, as oppose to being one of the kazillion small presses whose enthusiasm outweighed their ability. Note the past tense there.

As for my editing clients, most published authors donít necessarily want the world to know they used an editor (even though most do) and I respect their privacy. And I certainly donít want to create a conflict of interest and associate my previous editing in freelance to my current editing in publishing.

"Most"? Who are these "most"? Most of the books I read mention the editor in the acknowledgements, usually after the words "wonderful" and "my". The ones which don't lack acknowledgement sections. Any writer worth anything knows the importance of a professional edit. Can you ask them for a quote?

I'm also not sure how your previous freelance editing experience could be a conflict of interest with your new company - if you continued to offer editing services and offered them via your publishing house, or sent flyers along with your form rejections then maybe.

At the end of every book description, weíll include links to the most popular retail sites for purchasing (both trade paperback and digital ebook versions) Ė each link will direct to the buying page for that book, not the retailerís home page. As a small business, I want to keep our focus on acquiring, producing, and promoting strong, entertaining books, not fussing with a retail arm (order processing, fulfillment, customer service, etc.).

So, will you be selling books directly through your website or not? If you're not, you should.

Our marketing and promotion efforts will follow current social networking models: Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest. Weíll send out ARCs to review sites, assist with blog tours, and utilize other unique promotional opportunities such as programs and conventions (Iíll be at Malice Domestic this year, so let me know if youíll be there, too!).

Iím a member of SinC and RWA Ė Iíve been involved in several chapters, writerís groups, and local meetings. Iíve been active in these groups, met lots of folks and, not to toot my own horn (but clearly Iím going to), Iím well-respected. Some of my best submissions so far have been from referrals, and Iím quite happy about that!

All good stuff.

Bottom line: Iím good at what I do. Iím confident, excited, honest, fair, and determined. I plan to work hard and sell lots of books. If youíre not convinced, I respect that. Bookmark Henery Press and see what weíve got going on over the next 6 to 8 months. And if you like what you see, then by all means, weíd love to see what youíve got.

Thanks for the questions, and the interest!

Cheers,
Kendel
I'd like to add a thank you for coming by here and participating in this thread. I really like your website and I'll be watching with interest how you go.
Theo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
As for my editing clients, most published authors don’t necessarily want the world to know they used an editor (even though most do) and I respect their privacy.

Most?

Most commercially published authors are edited by their acquiring editors; that's common knowledge, so I assume you don't mean that type of editor. I assume you mean that "most" published authors hire an editor before they submit their work. That's totally untrue. Most do not. I don't know any who do, frankly.

That doesn't mean none at all do, but I certainly don't think you could come anywhere near calling the number who do "most."

ETA to clarify: Of course self-published authors often do, and many should, but I don't think they tend to want to keep their use of a professional editor secret, which is why I read the statement the way I did.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller

Last edited by Stacia Kane; 02-07-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
LillyPu
permaflounced

LillyPu is a shiny, shiny jewelLillyPu is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:

If they're mail-sorters, or clerical, I agree they don't need to be listed on your 'about us' or 'staff' page. But if they're involved in marketing or editing, then I'd like to know their qualifications.

Quote:
Checking the acknowledgements page of a published novel is where I get my information about who edited the book, so I'll know who to address my query to when I submit my manuscript to that publisher. I've never known an author to not thank their editors 'there'. Unless there's no editor at all, which is the case for some small presses. I'd think even the self-published would want to show they sought professional editing for their manuscript. And if freelance is where your editing experience lies, why not flaunt your successes? I don't think you can get away with not backing up your professional editing experience. It should be something to brag about, not keep hidden. Not that that's what you're doing.

I'm also lovin' your logo!

All the best to you.
LillyPu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #16
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd agree that even if they didn't want contact information listed, a short paragraph with names, backgrounds, and experience would be warranted.

Most people who do their research properly consider not having that information available to be a red flag. Personally I wouldn't submit unless I knew the person I was submitting to was a professional.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
Willowwriter
figuring it all out

Willowwriter is on a distinguished road
Anyone got any updates or further experience with them?
Willowwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
ohthatmomagain
writing, working, weeping, winning

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
They gave me a rejection Meaning that they don't take anyone and everyone who subs them.

Out Now SAINT SLOAN
...every saint as a past...

Twitter: @martieKay

ohthatmomagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
Willowwriter
figuring it all out

Willowwriter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthatmomagain View Post
They gave me a rejection Meaning that they don't take anyone and everyone who subs them.
Sorry about that! What was their response time?
Willowwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
ohthatmomagain
writing, working, weeping, winning

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowwriter View Post
Sorry about that! What was their response time?
30 days... give or take. Not a bad wait time.

Out Now SAINT SLOAN
...every saint as a past...

Twitter: @martieKay

ohthatmomagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
lwalker
Butterflies

lwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey y'all -- I almost never venture out of my little corner of AW, but I wanted to update this thread. I have a mystery contracted with Henery Press to release this winter, and I could not be happier with my experience to date.

The staff there is knowledgeable and helpful, and I've gotten more marketing support and advice than some of my author friends who are with much older, bigger houses. Henery is new, but Kendel has a solid background in building a successful company and a sharp editorial eye, and the cover art is top-notch. All of those were things I was looking for when I decided to sub to small presses (my background is in journalism, and I researched for weeks before choosing who to sub to), and I could not be happier with the home I've found for my mystery.

Their list is small and they are choosy, but they're publishing quality stuff. I'm not at all saying that as a means of tooting my own horn -- so far this year they've had a golden heart finalist, won a daphne, and had another daphne finalist. And those were just the top three. Most of the rest of the authors have won respected writing awards of some flavor, as well.

For those AWers who are interested in submitting, I'd say the same thing everyone seems to: read. Get a couple of Henery Press books and see if your project (they consider novellas, too) fits with the tone of what they're publishing. Funny mysteries with smart heroines are a good bet for that.

Good luck with your writing, whatever publishing route you decide.

FRONT PAGE FATALITY, A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery (Henery Press, January 29, 2013)
BURIED LEADS, A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery (Henery Press, October 2013)
THE HEARTACHE MOTEL, Three Interconnected Mystery Novellas (Henery Press, December 2013)

Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads
lwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #22
ChelseaWriter
practical experience, FTW

ChelseaWriter has a spectacular auraChelseaWriter has a spectacular aura
Congrats, LWalker! Thanks for the info -- I just submitted to them. *fingers crossed*

Author website

PAINTING THE MOON, published June 2014!

ChelseaWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
ChelseaWriter

ChelseaWriter has a spectacular auraChelseaWriter has a spectacular aura
Giving a little *bump* - wondering if anyone else has had any experience with Henery? Or what response times you've had, either for rejections or acceptance?

Author website

PAINTING THE MOON, published June 2014!

Last edited by ChelseaWriter; 11-07-2012 at 06:05 AM.
ChelseaWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #24
K. Victoria Chase

K. Victoria Chase is well-respected
From Publishers Marketplace:

"Gretchen Archer's DOUBLE WHAMMY, a mystery caper featuring a disgraced Alabama cop in bad need of a paycheck, who lands a job on an elite security at the fabulous Bellissimo Casino in Biloxi - and must unravel a compromised video casino game, avoid her ex- who took out a restraining order against her, and figure out why the casino would hire an investigator who is the dead ringer for the big boss's wife, to Kendel Flaum at Henery Press, by Stephany Evans at FinePrint Literary Management."
K. Victoria Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
lwalker
Butterflies

lwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentslwalker is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaWriter View Post
Giving a little *bump* - wondering if anyone else has had any experience with Henery? Or what response times you've had, either for rejections or acceptance?
It took five weeks for my initial reply.

FRONT PAGE FATALITY, A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery (Henery Press, January 29, 2013)
BURIED LEADS, A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery (Henery Press, October 2013)
THE HEARTACHE MOTEL, Three Interconnected Mystery Novellas (Henery Press, December 2013)

Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads
lwalker is offline   Reply With Quote