Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
Arkie
a reader's ear and a writer's heart

Arkie is a shiny, shiny jewelArkie is a shiny, shiny jewel
After numerous emails and a couple of telephone calls, and four proof reviews, I finally got my second book through Createspace. The first book showed up on Amazon Books within 24 hours and so did the second.

The first book also showed up on the Barnes and Noble website, evidently a mistake, because after 5 days, it was removed.

Also of interest, the first book on Amazon has a "look in" feature, but the second book doesn't.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
frisco
practical experience, FTW

frisco is on a distinguished road
I'll just offer that I love CreateSpace. They did an exceptional job in my book, making it look very professional. I also feel they are very affordible, cheap enough to allow me to make a profit on book sales.
frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
Keyan
ubiquitous

Keyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admiration
How much flexibility do CreateSpace have on sizes? I'm considering printing a report that would be 8 1/2 x 11 or something similar. I could reformat it for 6 x 9, but I'd like to have the report-size option.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
How much flexibility do CreateSpace have on sizes? I'm considering printing a report that would be 8 1/2 x 11 or something similar. I could reformat it for 6 x 9, but I'd like to have the report-size option.
The place to find answer is Createspace.com: https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/

--Ken
ResearchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #30
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Unhappy

I had hoped that Lulu would fix its ruined cover-creation process. No such luck. Drats. I deleted a project before I could finish it because the cover-design step is so badly broken.

--Ken
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #31
Arkie
a reader's ear and a writer's heart

Arkie is a shiny, shiny jewelArkie is a shiny, shiny jewel
I finally got my second book through the Createspace/Amazon process and into Kindle. I made it more difficult than it should have been because I thought Createspace shepherded the book all the way into Kindle; however, Amazon takes over at a certain point. Had I known that (and it's probably in the small print somewhere and I missed it), it would have been easier, but the folks at both Createspace and Amazon answered emails promptly and courteously. So one more to go, if I can figure out the cover business.

An interesting aside: I payed $69.00 per book to process them into Amazon Kindle and in the process Barnes and Noble picked up one, but not the other. It's unclear how that happened.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #32
ambermg
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ambermg is on a distinguished road
I know nothing about Lulu, but I've been very happy with my experience with Createspace. My first book I published with them came out on January 20, and I'm releasing the second in March. The price was good and I used them for the formatting and such. With the second book I am formatting it myself and it will be free, except for the fee I'm paying for the kindle version - so I really like that.

Click here to order my YA thriller PROWL or here for the sequel ENTICE

http://ambergarza.wordpress.com/
ambermg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #33
Keyan
ubiquitous

Keyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admiration
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchGuy View Post
The place to find answer is Createspace.com: https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/

--Ken
Thanks! For some reason, I couldn't find it on my own.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #34
DrD

DrD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekkah View Post
Also, Kindle and epubs are two different formats, right? Is it hard to do?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
I am definitely not a computer wiz, and I was able to upload my novel as a Kindle ebook fairly easily. You will make mistakes, but you have the opportunity to preview your book before the upload and you'll be able to fix whatever errors you see. Just make sure that you carefully read the directions and save the book as an html before uploading, and you'll be fine.

amazon.com/author/rebeccabecker

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rebec...17755654990311

DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #35
mpclemens
Mad Typospherian

mpclemens is on a distinguished road
I've used CreateSpace twice now, both for proof copies of the same work. The first time I used their cover creator, and the second I used my own PDF. Both times I uploaded a "print-ready" PDF generated from LibreOffice (OpenOffice's successor.) Couldn't be happier with either copy: they look professional, the binding is holding up well so far, and except for the giant word "PROOF" on the very last page, you'd think it was a Real Book. Well, except for the scads of typos that I'm now finding. Sigh.

No experience with Lulu, though the service looks practically identical to me. The generous coupons that CS snagged me as a customer, and being tied to the Amazon muscle sealed the deal. If I can clean up this proof, I'm looking forward to ordering my five free copies.
mpclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #36
eternalised

eternalised has a spectacular auraeternalised has a spectacular aura
If you don't just want some proof copies of your work, but you want to sell it to potential costumers, I recommend CreateSpace. The costs per book are a lot lower using CreateSpace than they are with Lulu. While a 300-page printed book will cost you around $3 on CreateSpace, give or take a few, it will cost $7 or more on Lulu. For CreateSpace, you can thus set the price of your book a lot lower and still get more profit than if you use Lulu to print your book.

eternalised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
K. L. Anderson

K. L. Anderson is on a distinguished road
CreateSpace

Hi Folks,
As you can see, I'm new here. Used CreateSpace last year for my first book. Thankfully, a friend helped. Anyway, it cost me only the ProPlan which was about $40 and is no longer available.

I found them to be prompt in responding to email questions. I used one of their covers with one of my photos. Nice selection of covers, by the way.

Once I became a little familiar with the process it was fairly easy. They get out proof copies promptly. Getting ready to try Kindle. They seem to have a new system that looks fairly simple.

I can't comment on their publishing services as I didn't use them.
Absolutely no complaints about my experience with them. BTW, my book showed up on B&N and Books-a-Million. I know that I sold two at the reduced commission rate, which of course means they were sold through someone other than Amazon.

Oh, and yes the book looks great. A terrific printing job.
Good luck to you...
Regards,
KL

Last edited by K. L. Anderson; 03-10-2012 at 10:39 AM.
K. L. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #38
Ergo
Chronic State of Query

Ergo is on a distinguished road
From all I've read, CreateSpace is a respectable place to go. I game them a try today but got stuck while trying to upload my novel. After an hour the progress bar read 0% complete. I killed the effort and tried the help link from one of the emails they sent me. "This page is no longer available."

Sakes...

Tried running the upload again this afternoon for two hours. Again 0% progress.

Tomorrow I'll try Lulu.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #39
mpclemens
Mad Typospherian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
From all I've read, CreateSpace is a respectable place to go. I game them a try today but got stuck while trying to upload my novel. After an hour the progress bar read 0% complete. I killed the effort and tried the help link from one of the emails they sent me. "This page is no longer available."
Try a different browser, if you can. I regularly have trouble with Firefox on the upload page on my Mac, but when I run Safari it uploads just fine (and no problem on different computers.) This is the only aggravation I have with CS so far.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #40
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Sakes...

Tried running the upload again this afternoon for two hours. Again 0% progress.

Tomorrow I'll try Lulu.
It shouldn't take more than four to five minutes (if even that long). I think you were having some kind of connectivity issue.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #41
Ergo
Chronic State of Query

Thank you for your suggestions. I emailed CreateSpace and to their credit they replied within a couple of hours with additional suggestions.

I'll give 'em another shot tomorrow.

Respectfully,

Ergo
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #42
Carmy
Banned

Carmy is a shiny, shiny jewelCarmy is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've published three books through Create Space and I've been very happy with their services. I paid for their ProPlan a while ago but it doesn't change anything - (EDC Expanded Distrbution Channels) because my books will still appear on Amazon in other countries, as paperbacks and Kindles, and they are listed in several other outlets. Edited copies of proofs will also cost me nothing but postage.

The only drawback that I have found is that certain retail outlets will not stock CS books. Not because there is anything wrong with them but because CS has no return policy in place. This is something an author can see to it there are book stores nearby.

The new fee is $25 and I believe it offers the same distribution if you request ii.

On the CS site, there have been several complaints lately about smudged interiors and exteriors. I have never experienced any problems.
Carmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #43
Al Stevens

Al Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolness
with lulu, you can do hard cover books. But they are expensive. Lightning Source is a more reasonable way to go for that. LS requires you to set yourself up as a small publisher, however. Not a big deal, but a lot of steps to take.
Al Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #44
Al Stevens

Al Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolness
I find it interesting that you had the frozen upload problem with Createspace. I had it, too. I called them--you click a link and they call you right away--and they said no one else was having that problem. I was making an audio CD, however, when this happened. There were problems with the file I was uploading, but instead of telling me about them, the upload procedure just hung up the way you describe. They said not to use IE and recommended Mozilla Firefox instead. The site does work better with Firefox. The tech person was able to look at my upload and see what had gone wrong. Once I got the problems fixed in the file, everything went smoothly.
Al Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #45
Ergo
Chronic State of Query

Such a simple fix... I accessed CS through google Chrome instead of AOL. The upload took maybe 30 seconds and then another 2 minutes for processing.

I'm still frozen though, but this time in my heart. Flipping through the virtual pages of the book was just a little too 'real.' I'm now unnerved that the characters and locations are more than just based on real life experiences, they ARE real life experiences with changed names. And then there are the brief song snippets. Do I really want Ted Nugent or Pink Floyd showing up at my doorstep.

It's strange how the warm glow of completing a novel can ice over to cold feet.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #46
mpclemens
Mad Typospherian

Quote:
Such a simple fix... I accessed CS through google Chrome instead of AOL. The upload took maybe 30 seconds and then another 2 minutes for processing.
Yup, that's it exactly. It's some sort of bad browser voodoo at CS. The upload itself should go pretty quickly.

Quote:
It's strange how the warm glow of completing a novel can ice over to cold feet.
I hear that. I was feeling pretty cocksure until I approved the draft and got the email that the book was ACTUALLY FOR SALE TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Gulp.

Last edited by mpclemens; 04-20-2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Can't spell my way out of a paper bag
mpclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #47
PeterHill
figuring it all out

PeterHill is on a distinguished road
Lulu . com self publishing?

Does anyone know if its any good or not or had experiance with them?
PeterHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #48
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm going to move this to the Self Publishing room, as it's not the best fit for e-publishing.

And Peter, there are lots of threads here about working with Lulu: it's worth searching for them.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #49
anoopbal

anoopbal is on a distinguished road
Lulu vs Vervante Vs Createspace

I am trying to get my book published. it is non-fiction and I do have a website which has some followers and traffic.

I am just confused on which of the publishers I have to pick. Is there any major difference? Or they are all the same and there is only some minor differences in cost and customer service and marketing.

I am hearing a lot about Lulu and Createspace, but haven't heard much about vervante.

Thank you so much for all the help!
anoopbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #50
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopbal View Post
. . .I am hearing a lot about Lulu and Createspace, but haven't heard much about vervante. . . .
Lulu and Createspace can be useful to self-publishers. But there is a learning curve and a lot of potential pitfalls. You'll have a lot of homwork to do.

I've never heard of Vervante. Apparently it is one of many of its type. It would likewise have potential pitfalls and a learning curve.

(I am guessing that your post might have been a sly way to promote Vervante, though.)

--Ken

P.S. Wording at the Vervante site suggests that it is a deceptive operation, trying to foist itself off as a legitimate publisher, not as a vanity/subsidy press.

Last edited by ResearchGuy; 06-13-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added p.s.