Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Humor
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #11876
Angie
Sonic Wench.

Angie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleamay View Post
Um, Ang? Most of us learned to play the recorder in, oh....first grade. Just sayin'. *would insert avatar with one eyebrow raised in silent judgement if boozahol hadn't kicked in*
Yanno, I never did. I started on clarinet in around fourth grade, but never picked up a recorder as a kid. *shrug*

Anyway, I'm sore brilliant at it now. So there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterStarrByrd
Deep Throat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterStarrByrd View Post
get under the table ... tee hee
For cryin' out loud, Porter, take your meds. You sound just like QW this morning.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #11877
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilroy Cullen View Post
Only ten? She must be smaller than the picture reveals then. Or else you are monster chihuey...
Both. She's only about 20 pounds, I'd guess. Maybe a tad more. I weigh in at a hefty 10. No teacup for me, baby.

Speaking of which, I neeed my Chihuey back.

BRB.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #11878
swachski
shameless bench..

swachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I weigh in at a hefty 10. No teacup for me, baby.
Big mug is more like it.

oooh, rastadawg...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ó Mark Twain
Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #11879
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by swachski View Post
Big mug is more like it.

oooh, rastadawg...
Yeah, mon.

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #11880
GailD
Plotting the breakthrough...

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey, rastapup. Dot kif, mon.

Congrats on the Australian Blue. They're very popular down here and we're quite familiar with the breed. As you know, the blues are very intelligent working dogs, so I assume you're going to put her through a good training course. (They can get quite neurotic if they're not working - kinda like writers. )

I trained border collies for a number of years and one of the things I learned is that dogs respond better to a name which begins with a strong, explosive consonant like B, P, D G. (I just know the cabbies are going make hay with this but it really does work.)

So maybe Bubba isn't so far out after all. Buddy would work, as would Purdy or Dingo. Maybe consider not naming her for a week or two and let her personality come through. A friend of mine named her Border 'Impi' (pronounced Impy) because of the dog's playful nature - but 'Impi' is also the Zulu word for warrior, which fitted the dog extremely well.

Either way, I wish you a long, happy life together.

The Branch of Thorns - my s/story in the African American Review (Vol 46.1) on sale now.

New blog - Write, Right and Research. Part 3 (Final) UPDATED DEC 1st. With pictures!!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #11881
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Thanks, Gail. Yeah, I expect we have our work cut out for us.

By the way, how exactly does one pronounce Bpdg?

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #11882
Angie
Sonic Wench.

Angie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAngie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
By the way, how exactly does one pronounce Bpdg?
"Here, Dog!"

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #11883
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
"Here, Dog!"

Either that, or "Youwannatreat?"

Stewie the Chihuey

Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #11884
kayleamay
I'm on the phone.

kayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
"Youwannatreat?"
That's my dog's name.

Hushpuppy: "When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece of a big, big universe and that makes things right. When I die, the scientists of the future, they're gonna find it all. They're gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub." ~ Beasts of the Southern Wild
Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #11885
CassandraW
on leave

CassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When i was 15, my family got a dog. I named her Beelzebub, and we always called her Bubba. So I'm partial to the name.

She was a small black beagle-terrier mix with a howl and a bark that sounded like they belonged to a much larger dog. Also, she grunted and snored. I loved that dog.

Nice hair, Haggis. Matches my toes.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #11886
Silent Rob
Riff-Raff

Silent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandraW View Post
When i was 15, my family got a dog. I named her Beelzebub, and we always called her Bubba. So I'm partial to the name.

She was a small black beagle-terrier mix with a howl and a bark that sounded like they belonged to a much larger dog. Also, she grunted and snored. I loved that dog.

Nice hair, Haggis. Matches my toes.
This is great, Cass. I think the opener really grabs the reader'ses's attention.

Couple of points: You really need a founce in there somewhere and I couldn't help noticing that you never once called haggis a looser.

Overall, really great!

*checks positive, negative, positive sammitch*

*adjusts seasonings*
Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #11887
Angie
Sonic Wench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rob View Post
This is great, Cass. I think the opener really grabs the reader'ses's attention.

Couple of points: You really need a founce in there somewhere and I couldn't help noticing that you never once called haggis a looser.

Overall, really great!

*checks positive, negative, positive sammitch*

*adjusts seasonings*
You spelled loo's'er wrong, Muppet. Critique fail. Go back to class.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #11888
CassandraW
on leave

CassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for commenting, SR!

I thought about founcing, but I worried about it coming out of left field. Ditto with calling Haggis a looser. I mean, there I am reminiscing about my puppy, and suddenly I'm all hostile on Haggis. But I got a brainstorm about how to work it in. What do you think?

Quote:
When i was 15Sometime after my family placed fifteen flickering candles on a german chocolate cake for me, my family got a dog. I named her Beelzebub, and we always called her Bubba. So I'mcolor me partial to the name.

She was a A small black beagle-terrier mix with a, her howl and a bark that sounded like they belonged to a much larger dog. Also, she grunted and snored. I loved that dog.

Nice hair, Haggis. Matches my toes.So Haggis, what the hell do you mean, you don't like the name? Loo's'er!

*founces*
*steps back to ponder edits*

hmm, I haven't quite done backwards somersaults to avoid the verb "to be." Why didn't you point it out, Rob? Anyway. I'll fix that, too.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #11889
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailD View Post
A friend of mine named her Border 'Impi' (pronounced Impy) because of the dog's playful nature - but 'Impi' is also the Zulu word for warrior, which fitted the dog extremely well.

Either way, I wish you a long, happy life together.
What is Zulu for Haggis, or even 'old hag'?

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #11890
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

GOOOD MORNIN !!!

I feel ... rare

The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #11891
kenthepen
practical experience, FTW

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Either way, PSB, I believe the word you're looking for is 'dinner.'

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #11892
CassandraW
on leave

No, wait -- I think it's a poem!

Fifteen flickering candles
german chocolate cake devoured
a hungry
family choir
missing
a note --

one
black beagle terrier
handbag-sized
barking
grunting
snoring
a Baskerville demon hound
howling for home

my heart
A gift
engorged with love
wrapped in
palpitating fur

Last edited by CassandraW; 04-02-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #11893
Silent Rob
Riff-Raff

Silent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilent Rob is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
You spelled loo's'er wrong, Muppet. Critique fail. Go back to class.
*founces*

Quote:

hmm, I haven't quite done backwards somersaults to avoid the verb "to be." Why didn't you point it out, Rob? Anyway. I'll fix that, too.
You're going to...fix me??

Quote:

a hungry
family choir
missing
a note --

one
black beagle terrier
handbag-sized
barking
grunting
snoring
howling for home

my heart
A gift
engorged with love
wrapped in
palpitating fur
engorged...

tee hee.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #11894
Angie
Sonic Wench.

*titters*

Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #11895
CassandraW
on leave

Quote:
engorged...

tee hee.
Your critique of my poem isn't helpful at ALL! I put four solid minutes into my beautiful poem and all you can do is make a dirty joke.

*founces*

tee hee...palpitating

*unfounces*

Wait! Wait! I had a burst of poetic editing inspiration

Quote:

Fifteen flickering candles flicker
leaving
a howling void
a hungry
family choir
missing
a note --

one
black beagle terrier
handbag-sized
barking
grunting
snoring
howling whimpering for home

my heart
A gift
engorged with love
wrapped in
palpitating fur

Last edited by CassandraW; 04-02-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #11896
swachski
shameless bench..

swachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
handbag-sized...*titters*
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ó Mark Twain
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #11897
Silent Rob
Riff-Raff

Quote:
Your critique of my poem isn't helpful at ALL! I put four solid minutes into my beautiful poem and all you can do is make a dirty joke.

*founces*

tee hee...palpitating
Angie says my crits just confuse PD.

solid...tee hee!

ETA: Fark! Now you've moved the cricket stumps!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #11898
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

Quote:

a hungry
family choir
missing
a note --

one
black beagle terrier
handbag-sized
barking
grunting
snoring
howling for home

my heart
A gift
engorged with love
wrapped in
palpitating fur
Another disgusting example of what Maya Angelou has done to poetry ... no ryme .. no meter .. no surprise ending, no double entendre, an adjective, no ear chocolate ...

Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #11899
CassandraW
on leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
*titters*

Quote:

solid...tee hee!
Oooooooh, you guys make me soooo mad...

But you're not going to discourage me from pursuing my muse:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandraW
Fifteen candles flicker
leaving
a howling void
a hungry
family choir
missing
a note --

one
black beagle terrier,
handbag-sizedfragile frame
no larger than
the pulsing organ
beating against
my newly budding breasts

barking
grunting
snoring
whimpering for home

my heart
A gift
engorged with love
wrapped in
palpitating fur
Make fun of that, huh?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #11900
CassandraW
on leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
Maya Angelo has nothing to do with free verse,
it's been around for over 400 years.

Get fraking used to it.

This poem has meter, as all free verse does.
It's antiquated old fart verse that has rhyme
(spelled correctly btw...)

Now stop pissing me off on my birthday.

*that was the surprise ending part*

Your work shows promise, Kelly. It has a lot of emotion, and I like the way you work in the fart and the surprise ending. But you really need a founce, and you've spelled "farking" wrong.

Happy birthday anyway. Don't tell anyone I said so, OK? 'Cause I got a reputation to uphold, and someone might think I was nice or something.