Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #13851
AceTachyon
Odd person

AceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
It's already a cultural black hole.

How much worse could it get?

Or should I not have tempted fate that way?

Be glad I didn't bring up the Kardashians.

For example, Schrodinger's Kardashian. Put Kim and Kourtney in a box along with a radioactive substance with a half-life of one hour. At the end of the hour, did TV ratings go up or down?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #13852
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTachyon View Post
Make them diagram various sentences/lines from the shows.

Quiz them on Bradbury's use of syntax and word choice.
DIAGRAMMING??

I'm not trying to torture them.

Or me.

(Though I have used it in other ESL courses before, I admit.)

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #13853
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Be glad I didn't bring up the Kardashians.

For example, Schrodinger's Kardashian. Put Kim and Kourtney in a box along with a radioactive substance with a half-life of one hour. At the end of the hour, did TV ratings go up or down?
As long as we never, ever open the box....

Who cares?

:

FleasTwits
Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #13854
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
What? Not even if I have six of them? *Confused*
You have six miniature ice cream x's. Whether they are cones or sandwiches or whatever. Or six miniature bowls of ice cream.

FleasTwits
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #13855
AceTachyon
Odd person

AceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
You have six miniature ice cream x's. Whether they are cones or sandwiches or whatever. Or six miniature bowls of ice cream.

SIX ICE CREAMS! SIX ICE CREAMS! SIX ICE CREAMS! SIX ICE CREAMS! SIX ICE CREAMS!
x2

Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #13856
slcboston
word-slinger

Ace, don't make me smack you.

(And I only mentioned it because Ali was giving CM flak for his flak.)

FleasTwits
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #13857
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Trust me, I'm a professional.

That's... Just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #13858
aliwood
practical experience, FTW

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

You may be a professional grammerian, but I am an expert dessert eater. In this country, an ice cream cone is the thing you hold, it does not necessarily have ice cream in it. Once it has ice cream in it, it either becomes an 'ice cream' or a 'cone' or a 'cornet'. As in "I'll take two cones please."

Now, can I have my pants back please, when you've stopped using them.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #13859
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Now, can I have my pants back please, when you've stopped using them.
He has his own bus pants. He just doesn't want to get them dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #13860
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
You may be a professional grammerian, but I am an expert dessert eater. In this country, an ice cream cone is the thing you hold, it does not necessarily have ice cream in it. Once it has ice cream in it, it either becomes an 'ice cream' or a 'cone' or a 'cornet'. As in "I'll take two cones please."
Yes, but you people talk funny.

Also, nothing but a's in grammarian. On either side of the Pond.

FleasTwits
Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #13861
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post

That's... Just...

Scary, isn't it?

FleasTwits
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #13862
amergina
Whom do you trust?
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"One," I scream! "Two," I scream!

Nope, no s.

Sl0w Wa1tz (M/M paranormal short) from Loose Id

OUT NOW: Missing Persons (fantasy short) in Trust and Treachery!

Coming August 19th: Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #13863
Raventongue
Roaring snugglecubus

Raventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyone
How are you out of unread books?!
A combination of a long spell of being broke and a huge reading binge, during which I'd neglected to seek out new titles to add to the "get and read it!" list.

Yeah, shocked me too.

Already there's a growing "Buy this book!" list forming... I apologize to my wallet in advance.

NaNo & Camp NaNo username: Cobalt Cyborg.....

Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #13864
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post
"One," I scream! "Two," I scream!

Nope, no s.

Do they even call it ice cream in Pittsburgh? (First time someone asked me for a gumband I was completely lost.)

FleasTwits
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #13865
Raventongue
Roaring snugglecubus

Raventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRaventongue is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

*drool* Darn you! *slinks off to kitchen to stare in despair at the lack of sugar in everything present*

Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #13866
amergina
Whom do you trust?
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Do they even call it ice cream in Pittsburgh? (First time someone asked me for a gumband I was completely lost.)

LOL. Yeah, it's ice cream here.

Just don't ask me about the name for carbonated beverages.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #13867
aliwood
practical experience, FTW

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raventongue View Post
*drool* Darn you! *slinks off to kitchen to stare in despair at the lack of sugar in everything present*
I'd pass you an ice cream, but they all melted while Bos was wearing my pants.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #13868
tjwriter
Dancing in the Dark

tjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Still no 10s???

*Haz a worried*

As the Cantina Turns

WIPs:
Dark Horse
The Misadventure of Abigail Quinn
Abigail Quinn #2
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #13869
AceTachyon
Odd person

Quote:
Bos had ice creams in his pants?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #13870
Raventongue
Roaring snugglecubus

Quote:
Lol!

Talk about creaming one's jeans...

Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #13871
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilroy Cullen View Post
How is this possible? Please enlighten the masses.

*sits on 150+ book TBR pile *
Me too. I remember when I owned just three unread books.That was around 1989. Some people I've corresponded with on AW were not even born then.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words. Submitted to Strange Chemistry.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 20,927 words and counting

Short fiction:

"Mourning Becomes Me" - version 2.0, 19,605 words and counting

"Cold" - 3753 words, final draft. Submitted!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #13872
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
*waves at Cantina* I've been gone for a few days with the plague flu. What did I miss?

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #13873
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
No good can come from this.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
Hm. You would need to add a touch of The Jerry Springer Show to weaponize it.
The above x a million!!!

Quote:
SIX ICE CREAMS! SIX ICE CREAMS! SIX ICE CREAMS! SIX ICE CREAMS! SIX ICE CREAMS!
x2
Youse guys make me laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwriter View Post
Still no 10s???

*Haz a worried*
She's definitely alive - I had an email from her this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
*waves at Cantina* I've been gone for a few days with the plague flu. What did I miss?
Yucky. Glad you're feeling better, though! I only just got back after a long absence myself, so not sure what all you missed...
Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #13874
amergina
Whom do you trust?
AW Moderator

My mom cleaned my bathroom. She is so good to me.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #13875
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hihi all. I see we have ice cream?

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Closed Thread