Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #13151
zanzjan
always tomorrow-bound
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Actually, on the topic of classic super hero stuff, I do have to say that Kingdom Come, illustrated by Alex Ross and written by Mark Waid, was a nice touchstone on what heroes are and were to people. That's one super hero title in recent times I felt was time well spent as a reader.
I'm not familiar with that title. Sadly, I have entirely fallen out of the comics world, though I'm never unhappy about recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
you will end up wandering around in front of your audience with the words 'Press CTRL+ALT+DEL' occasionally appearing across your forehead.

I'm fairly certain I've seen faculty blue-screen mid-class, but not quite that visibly so.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)

A PROMPT A DAY! The Countdown to 2015 Calendar: Writing Lab --> Writing Exercises --> Flash Fiction Challenge. Open to all!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #13152
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
I'm not familiar with that title. Sadly, I have entirely fallen out of the comics world, though I'm never unhappy about recommendations.
Kingdom Come was, in many ways, a "slippery slope" title - people started using the imagery and stylistic tics in that series without understanding why they were so effective. Much the same deal as with the crap which attempted to cash in on the "mature" storytelling of Watchmen (ignoring storytelling basics and using sex and violence being, ironically, the least mature kind of comic imaginable). You have to read it, if only to understand where so much of what was to come was gaining inspiration from, and notice the influences in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #13153
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Speaking of SYW, would anyone be interested in a summer prompts challenge? I'd like at least 5 folks to commit before starting a thread.

For those who dont know, we would offer a bunch of one to two word prompts, and a special challenge as well. The list would be reduced to about 4/month. Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words. Participants would crit each other, and get feedback from other SYW folks.

Example 1- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212614

2- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176070 (smibble apoxyclips in this one )

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #13154
Shoeless

Shoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
I've often compared being a writer to being an alcoholic. There are times when I just wish I could put the pen down and do something else. This is one of those times. It's too hard, it too damaging to the ego and the confidence. Please God, let me just walk away. But I can't.
Some sage advice from Neil Gaiman, which I'm using to nurse my own wounds since I'm recovering from how much work my query needs.

Quote:
1. Write.
2. Put one word after another. Find the right word, put it down.
3. Finish what you’re writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it.
4. Put it aside. Read it pretending you’ve never read it before. Show it to friends whose opinion you respect and who like the kind of thing that this is.
5. Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
6. Fix it. Remember that, sooner or later, before it ever reaches perfection, you will have to let it go and move on and start to write the next thing. Perfection is like chasing the horizon. Keep moving.
7. Laugh at your own jokes.
8. The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, you’re allowed to do whatever you like. (That may be a rule for life as well as for writing. But it’s definitely true for writing.) So write your story as it needs to be written. Write it honestly, and tell it as best you can. I’m not sure that there are any other rules. Not ones that matter.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #13155
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
I'd like at least 5 folks to commit before starting a thread.
*raises hand* I'm in. I can go round up others as well if you want.

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #13156
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
*raises hand* I'm in. I can go round up others as well if you want.
If you like. I'm being lazy and figuring if I get five from the chat thread, I'll certainly get others.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #13157
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Speaking of SYW, would anyone be interested in a summer prompts challenge? I'd like at least 5 folks to commit before starting a thread.
Raises hand. Yes please.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #13158
zanzjan
always tomorrow-bound
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words.
Hahaha! I can't *sneeze* in less than 2k.

It might be a good challenge, that way. I can't commit until I know what's going on with my house situation, though. Which, since I've brought it up, requires me to leave at least one : here. I'm actually drinking coffee, that's how stressed this is making me.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)

A PROMPT A DAY! The Countdown to 2015 Calendar: Writing Lab --> Writing Exercises --> Flash Fiction Challenge. Open to all!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #13159
BigWords
Geekzilla

Look at length as a suggestion, not a hard and fast rule - nobody is going to get overly upset if you run a thousand words long.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #13160
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

For those who dont know, we would offer a bunch of one to two word prompts, and a special challenge as well. The list would be reduced to about 4/month. Participants would then write stories using one or more prompts, +/- the special challenge in about 1-2k words. Participants would crit each other, and get feedback from other SYW folks.

2- http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176070 (smibble apoxyclips in this one )

I'm game. Sounds like fun.

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #13161
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I like the idea but for some reason when I click on your links it wants a password.

WIPs
SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
Flash: "Joy Eats Fear" 799 words, Revising
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 12,000 words

Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #13162
Fenika

I havent been logged out of Syw in too long. Serenity? Citrus? Bob? Someone help. Vista? I think its Vista.

And hugs Zanzjan.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #13163
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I havent been logged out of Syw in too long. Serenity? Citrus? Bob? Someone help. Vista? I think its Vista.

And hugs Zanzjan.
It is vista, you are correct.

Hugs to Zanz.

gotta rush, hot choc to make, oh and Shoeless, I got your message, but I am still running about doing stuff so I'll answer it in the next couple of hours, honest. Stop nursing those wounds though, you're good. Just remember that!

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #13164
amergina
Santa gave me a ring! Uh oh....
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I miss you guys during the day now.
But hey. Job, with work and stuff.

And Zan!

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #13165
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ok Fen count me in! I so need something like this to jump start my writing.

WIPs
SF Novel: Moon Dragons First Draft COMPLTETED 90,832 words, Resting
Flash: "Joy Eats Fear" 799 words, Revising
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 12,000 words

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #13166
Fenika

Yay, lots of sign ups

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #13167
slcboston
Fleece Navidad

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I love the idea of the prompts... but I'm still sitting on the March Horror prompt. Least I think it was March. Maybe it was February. Whichever the zombie history one was.

And my summer is likely shot until August, more or less.

But I shall cheer.

“I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. ... But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #13168
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry, Fen, I got too much work to do. I mean, too much of books to edit.

I think I may have finally found where I belong. Gothic romance - heavier on the gothic than the romance. I mean, the romance is totally there, but the gothic part and the story around the main mc is more important. It's my favorite thing to read... it might be my favorite thing to write. I just hope all my research and use of historical reference is correct. I like being able to inject teh horror, teh fantasy, and teh carriages... That, or this editing going so well is just a huge sign of how lost I am in my own crap.

Therefore, Zan, I am so with you. (even tho I feel pretty awesome right now, a crash is just around the corner)

also, house smells like onion. Hope I didn't put too much onion in the crocket... er... C.R.O.C.K.P.O.T.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter
Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #13169
aliwood

except

Off to read now, catch you on the flip side, cantina.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #13170
bettielee

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
banana is always an appropriate answer...

Twitter
Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #13171
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettielee View Post
Sorry, Fen, I got too much work to do. I mean, too much of books to edit.

I think I may have finally found where I belong. Gothic romance - heavier on the gothic than the romance. I mean, the romance is totally there, but the gothic part and the story around the main mc is more important. It's my favorite thing to read... it might be my favorite thing to write. I just hope all my research and use of historical reference is correct. I like being able to inject teh horror, teh fantasy, and teh carriages... That, or this editing going so well is just a huge sign of how lost I am in my own crap.
Are you looking for a beta reader? I'm sure you would LOVE to have a sympathetic beta, who has a secret penchant for such things. And, if you can't find anybody else, I SUPPOSE..... If you really wanted .... I could find it in my heart to volunteer.... If you need one.

Oh, quit dancing, Junely. SEND ME THE MS and I won't be forced to hunt you down and tackle you for it!

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 10/27/14: Fortuna Cat Like Tread Part Five
Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #13172
bettielee

Junely... you haz a rep.

Twitter
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #13173
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Junely... you haz a rep.

I do haz a rep, but I'm trying to rise above it

received and answered, Oh Great and Powerful Fairy Queen.

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 10/27/14: Fortuna Cat Like Tread Part Five
Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #13174
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
banana is always an appropriate answer...
Kuh.

Wote.

Buuked.

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #13175
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Okay, I have a question. I'm a bit afraid to ask it. They* might be watching.

This may be a cultural thing, or it just may be my personal experience.

I realized the other night that I hadn't hit my funny bone in years, I hadn't seen anyone do it in years either. When was the last time you did it, or saw someone do it?

I seem to remember it happening fairly frequently when I was younger. I'm hoping that either my ability to notice things like this has deteriorated or I have just forgotten. I worry however that the universe has changed in some fundamental way...this is leading to story idea.

*I will at some point describe who they are, but I fear them.

**I could not find a smiley that would appropriately convey fake paranoia. I think I got the rambling stream of consciousness done okay, but without a smiley I think I'll get recommendations for meds.
Closed Thread