Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #12526
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
Thanks, and thanks

Have I mentioned that my eyes glaze over with fear when I read "RSS"? But I think I got it figured out. The key was a browser based reader, so thank you!
Welcomes! Glad you've got the rss sorted out, anyway! It's handy for knowing when new stuff appears.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #12527
slcboston
Just What It Says on the Label

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
Well, I did look at their Sub Guidelines and it said that they wanted Romance stuff, but someone suggested them to me for Fantasy. That's why I asked. I was confused.
You know, you can almost always also contact the publisher directly and ask them.

And most websites, like Wordpress, also have FAQ and other guidelines to help you figure that stuff out.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #12528
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
I'm not quite that stupid. Nor remotely that brave.

But that's what I got when I combined him with you.

See, it was the 'mildly' that confused me there for a moment

Blog

New Blog Post: Inside the WIP Machine
Older Blog Post: Writing with a chronic illness

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: querying
TRUE COLORS: 90/100K

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #12529
slcboston

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
See, it was the 'mildly' that confused me there for a moment
I would have said "wildly" but, you know, it's you, and these things are relative.

For you, it's "mildly."

FleasTwits
Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #12530
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I would have said "wildly" but, you know, it's you, and these things are relative.

For you, it's "mildly."

Pfft. For you, too

Blog

New Blog Post: Inside the WIP Machine
Older Blog Post: Writing with a chronic illness

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: querying
TRUE COLORS: 90/100K

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 04-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #12531
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
You know, you can almost always also contact the publisher directly and ask them.

And most websites, like Wordpress, also have FAQ and other guidelines to help you figure that stuff out.
Yeah. That's true. I could. But I don't know. I was just trying to get an idea of who I could sub to when I was ready.

Well, they do have password protection for some posts, but I was kind of looking for a "age-thing" like BlogSpot has. Granted, all you have to do is know the password in order or click "view" in order to get through, but I would hate to get in trouble for content.

Twitter
Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #12532
slcboston

Quote:
Pfft. For you, too
I have never, ever claimed otherwise.

Unlike some others who seem to think they can fool us all into believing they're innocent and some such.

FleasTwits
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #12533
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Thanks. That's what I thought. Is Entangled the same way?
Entangled requires the romance angle too. They do various genres (like fantasy), but as far as I know you do need a strong romantic element in your story for them to consider it. If your story is mainly fantasy, but again has that strong romantic subplot, you can sub it there. The amount of romance varies quite a bit in their titles. Does your story have a romantic subplot?

For epubs, the one that comes to mind which requires no romantic elements is Carina.

Edit: I think that Crescent Moon also takes pure SF&F. But I'll say I don't know as much about them.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Last edited by Tifferbugz; 04-23-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #12534
Silver-Midnight

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
Entangled requires the romance angle too. They do various genres (like fantasy), but as far as I know you do need a strong romantic element in your story for them to consider it. If your story is mainly fantasy, but again has that strong romantic subplot, you can sub it there. The amount of romance varies quite a bit in their titles. Does your story have a romantic subplot?

For epubs, the one that comes to mind which requires no romantic elements is Carina.
Most of them have a romantic sub-plot but the strength of the sub-plot would varies.

Right now, truthfully, I'm just looking at different publishers. I really don't feel ready to publish, but I just wanted to have some people in mind. Things to think on and what not.
However, to answer your question, it really depends. Sometimes the romantic sub-plot is strong and sometimes it isn't.

I've heard of Carina, and someone told me that too.

Twitter
Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #12535
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Most of them have a romantic sub-plot but the strength of the sub-plot would varies.

Right now, truthfully, I'm just looking at different publishers. I really don't feel ready to publish, but I just wanted to have some people in mind. Things to think on and what not.
However, to answer your question, it really depends. Sometimes the romantic sub-plot is strong and sometimes it isn't.

I've heard of Carina, and someone told me that too.
Carina is one of the best out there, if you can get your foot in the door. Of course, I think the same about Entangled, but I'm not exactly 100% objective there.

Keep in mind that you can go through different pubs for different titles, too. Also, are you going novel-length? If so, might want to check the agent route first. Just a suggestion.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 AM   #12536
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Must find more coffee. Need words.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #12537
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Well, I did look at their Sub Guidelines and it said that they wanted Romance stuff, but someone suggested them to me for Fantasy. That's why I asked. I was confused.
Entangled doesn't take non-romantic fantasy--it has to either be a fantasy romance or a fantasy with romantic elements (a strong romantic subplot). It pretty much says that in the submission guidelines.

So yes, they do take fantasy, but only where it intersects with romance. Same with science fiction, mystery, history, etc. They're looking for romance or strong romantic elements. Happy every after, and all.

In general, it's worth looking through a publisher's categories and reading several of the books when you're trying to figure out whether your work will fit there or not.

ETA: Scooped by Tifferbugz! Dire!

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #12538
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillaryjacques View Post

I find this person distasteful. Mondo dire.
This.

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Old 04-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #12539
amergina
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In other news... I think getting my laptop from work in case I had to work from home worked! The winter storm watch has been downgraded to a winter weather advisory.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #12540
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I just submitted a flash fiction piece to an online magazine
Yay! Good luck to both story and you!

Quote:
Yeah. That's true. I could. But I don't know. I was just trying to get an idea of who I could sub to when I was ready.
Are you familiar with duotrope?

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #12541
amergina
AW Moderator

And Fen: A little late, but yes. Dumb him clearly. Clingy guys are scary.

I had (for a very short time) a boyfriend in college that started showing up outside my classes when he knew I had a bit of free time. And then he'd stay with me until I had class. Lather, rinse, repeat. And at night, he'd come and study with me. Or go wherever I was going in the evenings.

Basically, if I had free time, he thought I should be with him. Luckily, I was living in a Catholic special interest house, so I could, in fact, kick him out at night. And did.

I felt like I had a freaking stalker. I dumped him pretty much by telling him that he was freaking me with his stalker behavior and that I needed alone time for me. And, you know, to hang out with other people that weren't him.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #12542
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post
In other news... I think getting my laptop from work in case I had to work from home worked! The winter storm watch has been downgraded to a winter weather advisory.
You tricked the weather by being prepared! Sneaky, Amergina. Sneaky.

Also, boo winter weather.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #12543
Shoeless
practical experience, FTW

Shoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Must find more coffee. Need words.
Coffee=Words?

This. THIS is what I have been doing wrong all these years.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #12544
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Carina is one of the best out there, if you can get your foot in the door. Of course, I think the same about Entangled, but I'm not exactly 100% objective there.

Keep in mind that you can go through different pubs for different titles, too. Also, are you going novel-length? If so, might want to check the agent route first. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the info.

Twitter
Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #12545
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post

In general, it's worth looking through a publisher's categories and reading several of the books when you're trying to figure out whether your work will fit there or not.
That was definitely suggested to me too.

Twitter
Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #12546
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Coffee=Words?

For me, it certainly does. Also, tea.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #12547
Shoeless
practical experience, FTW

Shoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
Yay! Good luck to both story and you!
Thumbs up to the Emma Peel avatar.

I have now officially dated both of us.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #12548
slcboston

Quote:
Thumbs up to the Emma Peel avatar.

Pfft. I knew who she was, and I am nowhere near old enough to have seen the Avengers in their original run.

*rowr* anyway, though, Zan.

FleasTwits
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #12549
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Wait... we've dated? Damn that memory loss...

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #12550
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Coffee=Words?

Quote:
For me, it certainly does. Also, tea.
Caffeine doesn't make words happen for me. Just makes me more likely to jump over to the internet. Whee! Look it's a video of a baby penguin being adorable!

I'm the weird one at the writers' table who doesn't drink coffee or booze to get the creative juices going.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Closed Thread