Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #9976
Kricket
Still believes she's a writer

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillaryjacques View Post
My pelvis has different standards than the medical community. And, in this case, I agree with my pelvis.
Dit-to-the-O

Flash: "I See Spot" open for crit
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 3,426/50,000 words

Blog
Movie Review: Frozen

Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #9977
aliwood
practical experience, FTW

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tangent (sorry): I am writing a character bio and managed to put

Quote:
left witches coven due to magical differences
Trust me, it was funny when I wrote it.

We now return you to your regular program - to which I will add this. When my grandfather was born, they thought he was going to be twins, he was 14lbs.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #9978
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
We now return you to your regular program - to which I will add this. When my grandfather was born, they thought he was going to be twins, he was 14lbs.
When my father was born, he was 2 pounds, 2 ounces. Four months premature, born at home, with a midwife instead of a doctor (this was 1922 Appalachia; they didn't even have running water or electricity). It's hardly a surprise he ended up with CP.

The only other interesting birthing story was when my father's mother was born. This was 1897, and again, she was born at home. The midwife attending the birthing? Her cousin, "Granny" Hatfield. Yes, THOSE Hatfields; she was the matriarch of the family, mother of Devil Anse Hatfield.

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama
Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #9979
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeblink View Post
Still working on the Plague Years rewrite. While I will have enough to submit to the Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry open fortnight next month (they only want 10-15k plus synopsis at first), I'm almost certainly not going to have a completely rewritten novel by then. Especially as it's going to need to expand by about 20,000 words. Maybe this story is fated to be a novella and I should accept that.

After that, I have rewrites that I need to do on my other novel in progress, Partings and Greetings. And would like to write some more short stories, but finding that difficult too.

Things are moving VERY slowly, as I'm struggling with a sense that all I'm doing is writing stuff that no-one wants to read, let alone publish, and I can't even sell short stories at the moment (and that comes from someone who has sold forty of them over the years). I had a rejection the other day from an anthology I was invited to submit to. Well, those are the breaks, but IT DID NOT HELP. *headdesk*
Bummer. But not dire. And we need to cowrite. You owe me an email I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakhlasmoke View Post
*joins debio*

Hi guys, sorry i haven't been around much, how's everyone doing?
Stop leavingggg ussss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debio View Post
Howdy recently arrived folks. Hey tif I gots a nice comfy easy chair. you need?

Embarrassing event for the day.

1:40 pm, I decide I want a can of that sweet crap called canned coffee that they sell here. So I stroll down the hall to the vending machine. On my way I pass a classroom with no teacher in it. The students stare at me as I pass. I wonder where there teacher is. I didn't remember anyone making emergency copies in the teacher's room.

I buy my coffee and am strolling back, they are staring at me again. I poke my head in the door and ask where there teacher is. They tell me I am the teacher. I was supposed to be teaching their class.

Sheesh. I hate when they change the schedule on me. I had three classes in the morning that I wasn't scheduled for, this one is a regular. I forgot my regular, but remembered the special. How does that work?

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #9980
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Luckily (or unluckily), my brother's wife had the baby via cesarean. She's supposed to go home Friday, I think. That seems really fast for having a c-section done, but I guess they toss you out asap anymore.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #9981
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Now, I need to play with it so I can get it to display the results in multiple columns.
Awk? I like awk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
Her cousin, "Granny" Hatfield. Yes, THOSE Hatfields; she was the matriarch of the family, mother of Devil Anse Hatfield.
Oh, dear... My aunt Betty Lou was a McCoy before she married.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #9982
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
Luckily (or unluckily), my brother's wife had the baby via cesarean. She's supposed to go home Friday, I think. That seems really fast for having a c-section done, but I guess they toss you out asap anymore.
When one of our neighbours had her youngest via c-section she was in and out of the hospital in about eight hours.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 03-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #9983
Kricket
Still believes she's a writer

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
When one of our neighbours had her youngest via c-section she was in and out of the hospital in about eight hours.
You couldn't pay me to do a c-section. I've heard recovery sucks.
Flash: "I See Spot" open for crit
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 3,426/50,000 words

Blog
Movie Review: Frozen

Old 03-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #9984
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelana View Post
really? REALLY?

Stay away from my pigs!

(that's a big myth, btw. It didn't start over a dead pig, it started over Civil War sympathies)

Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #9985
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Holy cow. That's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
You couldn't pay me to do a c-section. I've heard recovery sucks.
Yeah I wouldn't want one. I don't think she had much choice in it, she had the first one that way too.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #9986
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I made that for you, Cobra. I made it IN MY MIND.
Awwww. That's gross.

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Undead Chaos

Website, Chirps, Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #9987
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
really? REALLY?

Stay away from my pigs!

(that's a big myth, btw. It didn't start over a dead pig, it started over Civil War sympathies)
*snickers* You're awesome!

I'm not surprised at that, actually... My 5x great grandfather was killed because of his Civil War sympathies. (He's as far as I can trace back my family tree on my dad's dad's side.) Serious stuff! Aunt Betty Lou was a cousin of some description, I think. Lovely lady, but boy could she cuss! She passed when I was 11 or 12 and I only met her a couple of times, but I sure do remember her swearing! heh
Old 03-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #9988
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
*snickers* You're awesome!

I'm not surprised at that, actually... My 5x great grandfather was killed because of his Civil War sympathies. (He's as far as I can trace back my family tree on my dad's dad's side.) Serious stuff! Aunt Betty Lou was a cousin of some description, I think. Lovely lady, but boy could she cuss! She passed when I was 11 or 12 and I only met her a couple of times, but I sure do remember her swearing! heh
Nothing that cool in my immediate family. Unless you count my great great uncle. He survived the Civil War, then was killed in a whorehouse brawl.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #9989
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
Awwww. That's gross.
I knoww!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!elebent!1y

Someone dropped off a frickin' ton of Easter candy at our office today. The only solution is to eat my our way though it as fast as possible.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #9990
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

So, voice is fading after only reading 12k of WIP aloud. Must find some tea or something. Also might help to keep in mind that I'm not in a play, and an excessively passionate reading is not strictly necessary. Nor do the cats care if I'm projecting properly.

Quote:
Someone dropped off a frickin' ton of Easter candy at our office today. The only solution is to eat my our way though it as fast as possible.
Sound logic. Do what you gotta do.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 03-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #9991
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Also might help to keep in mind that I'm not in a play, and an excessively passionate reading is not strictly necessary. Nor do the cats care if I'm projecting properly.
But are you doing the accents?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #9992
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Quote:
Awk? I like awk...

AWK. Well, since I let the MUD a friend and I were running go, I haven't been in the shell for a long time. I forgot stuff.

Quote:
You(r office has) have leet problem solving skills
Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #9993
zanzjan
still on my first cup of tea
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
So, voice is fading after only reading 12k of WIP aloud. Must find some tea or something.
Scotch?

"Shh. Listen to the sounds that surround you. Notice the pitches, the volume, the timbre, the many lines of counterpoint. As light taught Monet to paint, the earth may be teaching you music." -- Pete Seeger
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #9994
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Quote:
But are you doing the accents?
NOW I am.

Also, I think maybe you have more fun with read-throughs than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
Scotch?
I have beer. Will that work?

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #9995
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
I have beer. Will that work?
My voice coach in college used to keep a bottle of Jack Daniels, mixed liberally with honey, on top of the radiator in his office. Warm toddy for when your voice was rough.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #9996
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

Quote:
You(r office has) have leet problem solving skills

Quote:
Also, I think maybe you have more fun with read-throughs than me.
Who can say?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #9997
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Our office opened a bag of jelly beans today.

The Starburst kind.

They are gone.

There are four people in my office.

Yeah.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #9998
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
Our office opened a bag of jelly beans today.

The Starburst kind.

They are gone.

There are four people in my office.

Yeah.
Nummmmmm. The Jolly Rancher kind are also

P.S. I generally only candy-fiend when writing first drafts. Second drafts are for popcorn and popsicles. When editing, I survive on tea, toast and despair.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 AM   #9999
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

I'm having to move my children out of the house because my mother has gotten so belligerent. What am I going to do without my babies?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #10000
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Hello
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can here me.
Is there anybody home?

Ear worm attack!
Closed Thread