Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #9026
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
I should have known better, shouldn't I have, than to trust that you had any sense of decorum or discretion?

And to think, you once called me the inappropriate one.
I'd hate to disapoint. And I'm going to need that quote. For obviousness sake.

Quote:
And for those for whom it may apply:

I hope not to need that this week. Next week is a strong maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwriter View Post
Good afternoon! Hip pain sucks as do children who exist to drive you crazy today. Therefore I have taken medication and am now kind of sleepy. Plus rain is coming. I just want to sit down someplace quiet and drink coffee and read and/or write.

But alas...

I guess medicating with Sausage! won't help in this case?

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #9027
slcboston
Just What It Says on the Label

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I got up from my netbook, went and looked at the name of my cupcake decorating kit that has the tip to add fillings to delicious baked goods,
Ohhhh.

Sorry, it read like a pitch-type segue. You know, of the "and here's what I use" *shiny product* "but wait there's more!"

You could have just said it's a specialty tip - because I kind of read that "tip" as a suggestion, not the utensil.

(Which, btw, you can save yourself time, trouble, and expense and just buy tips - and then use sealable bags with the corners cut for the bags)

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #9028
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Psychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You guys are always talking about food... *nom nom nom*

I have to hang out here more. If only life weren't so immensely busy right now. Le sigh.

Did I miss anything really important?

Twitter|Blog

I drew a map of the Cantina once. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

WIPS:

SF Novella: 36,000 words, query in QLH
Fantasy (researching)
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #9029
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomacologist View Post
You mean apart from the biscuits?

Bedtime for me.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 03-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #9030
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
And for those for whom it may apply:

Dude. Are you like peeking in my windows today?

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #9031
slcboston

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
Dude. Are you like peeking in my windows today?
*ducks behind bushes*

um.... no. Not at all.

FleasTwits
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #9032
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
You guys are always talking about food... *nom nom nom*

I have to hang out here more. If only life weren't so immensely busy right now. Le sigh.

Dr. Guy gave me sausage. Which is why we've been talking in innuendo for pages.

He also txted me to say he enjoyed himself earlier. Maybe it wasn't a non-date

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #9033
slcboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
Maybe it wasn't a non-date
A-HA!!!

The truth will out!!

Which I just said, elsewhere, but it was appropriate here.

FleasTwits
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #9034
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Fen and Dr. Guyyyyy sitting in a tree

Blog

New Blog Post: Interview with Regan Summers
Older Blog Post: Inside the WIP Machine

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: querying
TRUE COLORS: 90/100K

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post

10s
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #9035
slcboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
Fen and Dr. Guyyyyy sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G!!

Or are we not singing?

(Sorry, Fen, but I could not resist. Nor did I try hard to resist.)

FleasTwits
Old 03-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #9036
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Psychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Dr. Guy gave me sausage.
Pffffftttt... *snigger*

You guys I have to organise a wedding reception. For myself, not for someone else.

Twitter|Blog

WIPS:

Fantasy (researching)
Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #9037
slcboston

Quote:
Pffffftttt... *snigger*

You guys I have to organise a wedding reception. For myself, not for someone else.
Aren't you already married? Isn't this kind of late?

FleasTwits
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #9038
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Quote:
Aren't you already married? Isn't this kind of late?

Yeah I know, but when MrMacologist and I got married we had a very small, quiet affair with only a few people and we never did a reception or anything. Muslim tradition dictates that we need to have some kind of 'do' to tell people "Hey, we're married, here's some food so you don't forget and get weird about it" so we kinda have to do that at some point.

Complicated life is complicated.

Twitter|Blog

WIPS:

Fantasy (researching)
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #9039
Fenika

Sadly, we're still on h-u-g-g-i-n-g. Dire.

Quote:
Yeah I know, but when MrMacologist and I got married we had a very small, quiet affair with only a few people and we never did a reception or anything. Muslim tradition dictates that we need to have some kind of 'do' to tell people "Hey, we're married, here's some food so you don't forget and get weird about it" so we kinda have to do that at some point.

...maybe it's easier to be single. I know these non-dates are driving me crazy.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #9040
slcboston

Quote:
Muslim tradition dictates that we need to have some kind of 'do' to tell people "Hey, we're married, here's some food so you don't forget and get weird about it" so we kinda have to do that at some point.
Ah, I know about this, courtesy of my students.

Especially with regards to the "get weird about it" part, you really do need to throw one.

FleasTwits
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #9041
slcboston

Quote:
Well, whose fault is that?

You've had his sausage. Kiss the damn fool.

FleasTwits
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #9042
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
*ducks behind bushes*

um.... no. Not at all.

Quote:

Total date.

Quote:

...maybe it's easier to be single. I know these non-dates are driving me crazy.
I know of a way to make it move past hugging. First, you go to the liquor store...are you writing this down?

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #9043
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Quote:
Ah, I know about this, courtesy of my students.

Especially with regards to the "get weird about it" part, you really do need to throw one.

The Asian community (Pakistan/India Asian, not the others) seem to expect huuuuuuuuge weddings, copious amounts of food, lavish dresses, bling-tastic jewellery and a stretch limo or you aren't really married.

Thankfully, my family aren't Asian and MrMac's family aren't here, so we should be spared most of the fuss. I hope.

Twitter|Blog

WIPS:

Fantasy (researching)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #9044
tjwriter
Under the moonlight

tjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Ohhhh.

Sorry, it read like a pitch-type segue. You know, of the "and here's what I use" *shiny product* "but wait there's more!"

You could have just said it's a specialty tip - because I kind of read that "tip" as a suggestion, not the utensil.

(Which, btw, you can save yourself time, trouble, and expense and just buy tips - and then use sealable bags with the corners cut for the bags)

I do. The kit came with several tips though and I was in emergency birthday preparedness mode, so I bought the little kit. I've been meaning to do pudding filled cupcakes for ages now.

Quote:

We had reasonable wedding followed with very fun reception. Even with that, I'd have loved to skip all the junk with planning a wedding and just have done a small gig with very fun reception.

As the Cantina Turns

WIPs:
Dark Horse
The Misadventure of Abigail Quinn
Abigail Quinn #2
Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #9045
Fenika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
I know of a way to make it move past hugging. First, you go to the liquor store...are you writing this down?

Dire.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #9046
tjwriter
Under the moonlight

tjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I CANNOT FIND MY 2012 GOALS LIST! I WAS GOING TO BLOGGERATE WITH THAT TONIGHT!

As the Cantina Turns

WIPs:
Dark Horse
Abigail Quinn #2
Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #9047
tjwriter
Under the moonlight

And then I remembered that I typed it up into a pretty little LibreOffice document. Today has been a little tense.

*Waits for teapot to whistle.*

As the Cantina Turns

WIPs:
Dark Horse
Abigail Quinn #2
Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #9048
slcboston

*backs slowly away from the tense and crazy pink pony*

Easy there, TJ. You're among friends here.

FleasTwits
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #9049
tjwriter
Under the moonlight

I have tea. I have hopefully got the littlest kiddo clothed in a secure enough fashion that he won't rip his diaper off again and the other two are quiet, so hopefully all is good.

Earl Grey reminds me of quiet times.

As the Cantina Turns

WIPs:
Dark Horse
Abigail Quinn #2
Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #9050
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I have hopefully got the littlest kiddo clothed in a secure enough fashion that he won't rip his diaper off again
Duct tape. No, I don't mean that as a joke.

Obviously make sure the tape is fully on the diaper, because you don't want the adhesive in skin contact. And when you put the duct tape on the diaper, make sure the ends are far enough around the sides to be not easily within reach. Um, unless you have TWO kids willing to help each other, in which case it only slows them down.

I am very glad mine have mostly outgrown that stage, because their room was frequently the target of overnight "Poopcasso" wall art.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)
Closed Thread