Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #8501
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In totally unrelated news, Suzanne and Bettie have provided inspiration for how to fix my battle scene between my jaded YA MC, Itola, and the Lake leviathan. I'll add ninjas. Dragon ninjas.

Epic.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #8502
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey... when did we change names?

Or am I just now noticing?

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #8503
zanzjan
Eating French Toast
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Doh! Name change!

Well, I have done three loads of laundry, two loads of dishes, marathon grocery shopping, made panko chicken that none of my kids would eat, bathed squirmy toddlers, sent out two stories on submission (including one brand new one that I only finished to my satisfaction last night) and now I'm going to look at my resume and write up a cover letter for a job opening that'd be a huge pay cut but could just save my sanity.

First, though: tea.

Hope everyone else is having a decent evening.

Podcast! StarShipSofa 346

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
Old 03-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #8504
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The name change is fairly new. I think it was still the old name when Fen posted...

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #8505
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep, it was. At least right before I posted it was.

Suz, are you doing anything with your fairy tale story?

And why are the Cantina names so odd ? We need more eccentric and eclectic.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #8506
zanzjan
Eating French Toast
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
Suz, are you doing anything with your fairy tale story?
Interesting that you should mention that. I read through your comments again today and between them and a fresh eye I managed to pull just shy of 1k out of the story, and that's the second story I sent out. It's still long, but I think a bit tighter w/ better flow in places, so hey, maybe I'll get lucky.

Podcast! StarShipSofa 346

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #8507
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Productive day is productive, Suzanne. Good luck!

Making cabbage rolls with a recalcitrant cabbage requires more patience than I can generate.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #8508
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've been watching movies and reading.

I deem the Hunger Games trilogy to be a good series. A realistic one.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #8509
Nakhlasmoke
yes

Nakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNakhlasmoke is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I enjoyed it, but I have issues. Mostly world-building ones.

House of Sand and Secrets

Mother, Crone, Maiden - a Tor short story set just before When the Sea is Rising Red.

blog and twitter

Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #8510
Fenika

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
Interesting that you should mention that. I read through your comments again today and between them and a fresh eye I managed to pull just shy of 1k out of the story, and that's the second story I sent out. It's still long, but I think a bit tighter w/ better flow in places, so hey, maybe I'll get lucky.
Kewlies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettielee View Post
I've been watching movies and reading.

I deem the Hunger Games trilogy to be a good series. A realistic one.
Book one has a book study thread

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #8511
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The weather gods have lost their minds! Last week, we had shirt sleeve weather. Friday and saturday we had tornadoes.

Today? Three inches of snow.

What the hell?

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 9/19/14: Fun Friday: Dribs and Drabs
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #8512
Fenika

Thats crazier than here. We've just had some temp swings.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #8513
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
We've had wonky temperature swings, but mostly it's just been nonexistent winter. We should have had at least one brutal ice storm last month, but instead it alternated between rain one day and sunshine the next. As someone who really hates cold weather, I was fine with that.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #8514
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good Morning Friends!

I'm having a cranky morning all because every male creature in this apartment is trying to drive me crazy. *le sigh*

But I shall do some editing today and that will make me feel better.

btw, hearing a train say "I make good decisions!" is kind of disconcerting.
Flash: "I See Spot" Resting
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 7188 words

On The Blog This Week
Outlining Is My Friend
Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #8515
bettielee

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
holy cow - has the name change killed us, or ... I hope everyone is safe, and not blown away on the tornaders!

And I'm so pissed. I brought the chapter I need to edit... competely forgetting that this is the time travel bit and I needed ch 10 as well because that's where she goes back in time to!! Dammit. And I've changed so much...

eta: no! I found it! Thank goodness I bring my thumb drive with me.

To edit:

To Betas

Twitter

Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #8516
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
the weather at my house. Picture courtesy of my big sister....

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 9/19/14: Fun Friday: Dribs and Drabs
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #8517
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, the weather is screwy here, too. Saturday, it was 50. Today, there's an inch of snow on the ground. By Wednesday, it'll be 60.

Today I have to take the kitties to the V. E. T. for their annual.

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #8518
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
the weather at my house. Picture courtesy of my big sister....

I know you hate snow, but that is a pretty picture.

On The Blog This Week
Outlining Is My Friend
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #8519
bettielee

a magical winter wonderland! Despite the fact we're so near spring!

To edit:

To Betas

Twitter

Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #8520
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very pretty picture.

Morning, all!

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #8521
tjwriter
Dancing in the Dark

tjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello cantina! I've been busy doing new job stuff lately and then trying to keep my sanity at home amoungst the chaos. Also, the toddler, the iphonz, and I all had an accident involving the toilet. RIP iphonz-four-score-and-seven-years-ago.

Hopefully things will settle in soon. I haz a shiny new work laptop since I will be doing dual location work. However, I've been thrown right over the frying pan and straight into the fire.

I agree with bettiecakes that the hunger games trilogy was pretty good. Read it on my nook over the course of a few days.

And if anyone wants to summarize from about 331-340, I'm all for that. It's a lot of back reading.

As the Cantina Turns

WIPs:
Dark Horse
The Misadventure of Abigail Quinn
Abigail Quinn #2
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #8522
bettielee

So... the toilet was not an attempt to put out a fire, was it?

RIP ifonz

To edit:

To Betas

Twitter

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #8523
Kricket
Chirp! Chirp!

Well, the Little Kricket is down for a nap and I got me some chocolate covered waffles. I am now ready to head into the editing cave. Got some slight restructuring to do and I believe there will be many new words written.

Sucks about the ifon tj. I have yet to have the pleasure of a toddler putting things in the toilet. All he does right now is put the seat down for me. And good luck with the new job!

On The Blog This Week
Outlining Is My Friend
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #8524
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
CANTINA DRIVE BY. WHAT IS UP MY FINE FEATHERED (and scaled) FRIENDS?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #8525
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Psychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*bursts in*

Guys! What did I miss!?

Busy week was buuuuuussssy.

Twitter|Blog

I drew a map of the Cantina once. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

WIPS:

SF Novella: 36,000 words, query in QLH
Fantasy (researching)
Closed Thread